Sennheiser HD-25
May 28, 2007 at 1:02 PM Post #31 of 39
Oh well if the steel core cable is more durable then I'm definately going that route. According to physics, the core shouldn't really affect how current flows, as long as it's symetrical, so I won't buy into the idea that a copper cable will sound different. Sticking with the steel all the way
wink.gif

May 28, 2007 at 2:19 PM Post #32 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by ex0du5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I won't buy into the idea that a copper cable will sound different.

Ooooh.... threading on thin ice there mate
wink.gif

Quote:

Sticking with the steel all the way
wink.gif

x2

May 28, 2007 at 2:34 PM Post #33 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by snejk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ooooh.... threading on thin ice there mate
wink.gif

I like living dangerously.
very_evil_smiley.gif

But ya seems to me like the steel is only to add durability to the whole thing. The outside is still copper and therefore the current should flow the same, as current only flows on the surface of a conductor, not inside the conductor.

May 28, 2007 at 3:18 PM Post #34 of 39
Quote:

Oh well if the steel core cable is more durable then I'm definately going that route. According to physics, the core shouldn't really affect how current flows, as long as it's symetrical, so I won't buy into the idea that a copper cable will sound different. Sticking with the steel all the way
wink.gif

Hearing is believing. Copper cable is just as flexible and durable and sounds better, really. Simply get the HD 25-13 replacement cable, have it reterminated with a 3.5mm plug and shortened to 1.5m. That way it's just like the normal cable but with enhanced sonics.

The advantage of this solution over a HD 650/580 cable is that the cable is thinner towards the end so it can be fitted in to the headband like the normal HD 25-1 cable.

And physics is overrated anyway.
biggrin.gif

May 28, 2007 at 3:28 PM Post #35 of 39
Quote:

I like living dangerously.
very_evil_smiley.gif

But ya seems to me like the steel is only to add durability to the whole thing. The outside is still copper and therefore the current should flow the same, as current only flows on the surface of a conductor, not inside the conductor.

No... there is not the slightest copper in the stock HD25-1 cable... it's all plain gray steel insulated with a gray, lime, blue and a red sleeve.

We're talking audio bands, not 100kHz and upwards so current will not just travel on a 1 um surface.

I don't believe in the replacement $300 "put in your expensive HD600 replacement cable here" talk... i don't see or hear the point in it at all (!). But due to the fact that steel is one of the worst conductors for nearly any frequency it should be thrown away.
There's sonically a large difference between the lamp wire stock cable and the OFC cable.

May 28, 2007 at 8:29 PM Post #37 of 39
Change it not just for the sound (there is a slight difference, but nothing dramatic), but for the microphonics. The microphonics on the steel cable is pretty ridiculous... you brush against ANYTHING and you will here it.

May 29, 2007 at 5:42 AM Post #38 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrizzitT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The microphonics on the steel cable is pretty ridiculous... you brush against ANYTHING and you will here it.

Don't you ever buy the Etymotic ER-4 IEM if you think the hd25 cable is microphonic...

Maybe I'm used to the extreme microphonics of Ety IEMS but I haven't been that disturbed by the hd25. Got to try them again tonight to see if my memory fails me.

May 18, 2021 at 8:47 AM Post #39 of 39
I sent mine to repair a month ago to sennheiser netherlands, still waiting to get them back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back