Sennheiser HD 25-1 II vs Audio Technica ATH-M40x
Oct 21, 2015 at 8:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

robertr5

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone, I'm new here so I hope I'm asking in the right section. Probably this question has already been made, but I searched and didn't find anything. I have the chance to buy one of this two headphones at the same price (around 90 euros). Can you tell me which one is better in terms of audio quality and durability? I'm looking for a clear and flat sound (at this budget possibilities), for home listening. I listen mainly to electronic music (m83, jon hopkins, boards of canada, ecc..). 

Oct 21, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #2 of 6
I'm not sure which would be better for you but the Sennheiser retails for $250 and the Audio Technica retails for $139 and currently sells for $99.  I would hope the Sennheisers would be quite a bit better but I'm not really that sure.

Oct 21, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #3 of 6
I have the Senns - and I don't enjoy them. They are very clear, but the treble is rather piercing and they are a bit low on bass for my tastes. Depends on the source as well, of course, but the sound signature seems to be quite treble focused. If you're into that and don't mind a slightly recessed base they are actually very good, analytical headphones.

EDIT: Electronic music, huh? I don't think the Senns are a good match for that.

Oct 21, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #4 of 6
The HD 25-1 II usually cost ~$200. You might be thinking of the HD 25-SP II which cost half as much.

Next time you are in a club or watching a dance video look what the DJ or audio tech is using. in about 50% of cases you will recognise the distinctive split headband of the HD 25_1 II. You will also see them used for outside broadcasts on TV.

That's because they have a fairly flat FR, go loud, are easy to match to most output impedances, have good isolation and are reputed to be hard wearing and comfortable.

Oct 21, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #5 of 6

Thank you all for the replies :)

I'm not sure which would be better for you but the Sennheiser retails for $250 and the Audio Technica retails for $139 and currently sells for $99.  I would hope the Sennheisers would be quite a bit better but I'm not really that sure.

I agree, the Sennheiser are generally more expensive, but i don't know if they worth the extra price. Is there also an extra quality?

I have the Senns - and I don't enjoy them. They are very clear, but the treble is rather piercing and they are a bit low on bass for my tastes. Depends on the source as well, of course, but the sound signature seems to be quite treble focused. If you're into that and don't mind a slightly recessed base they are actually very good, analytical headphones.

EDIT: Electronic music, huh? I don't think the Senns are a good match for that.

Are you sure about the bass? Most of the reviews say that there is an emphasis on the bass. 

The HD 25-1 II usually cost ~$200. You might be thinking of the HD 25-SP II which cost half as much.

Next time you are in a club or watching a dance video look what the DJ or audio tech is using. in about 50% of cases you will recognise the distinctive split headband of the HD 25_1 II. You will also see them used for outside broadcasts on TV.

That's because they have a fairly flat FR, go loud, are easy to match to most output impedances, have good isolation and are reputed to be hard wearing and comfortable.

Agree with that, I saw that HD 25-1 II are extremely popular among djs (actually 116 pros use this headphone according to an internet database of artists and the gear they use), but I hope that this in not because of some boosted bass, or commercial advertising. I’m asking if they are good just only for djing, or even music listening.  What about durability? I read that the ATH-M40 has detachable cable and comes with both a coiled and straight cable in the box. What about the Sennheiser? I know that the cable is exchangeable, but do I have to disassemble all the headphone?

Oct 21, 2015 at 12:55 PM Post #6 of 6
  Are you sure about the bass? Most of the review say that there is an emphasis on the bass. 

Actually, I just gave them another listen with a decent source. The bass is actually better than I had remembered, quite precise and not bloated, but I still dislike their treble emphasis. I am talking about the HD25-1 II though, which I own because my father (a sound engineer) gave them to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back