Sennheiser HD 215 First Impressions
Mar 29, 2005 at 10:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

The Monkey

Monkey See, Monkey DAC
A really sick dud
This is actually a double post, sorry. But it is a bit buried in its original thread, so I though I'd make it a little easier for people to see. Cheers!

I've had the HD 215s for about 2 weeks, here are my initial impressions:

Construction/appearance - pretty heavy plastic all around. The seem solidly built. The pictures on the web are largely accurate. The coiled cord is non-detachable. The right earcup can be rotated, DJ-style. This feature is nice in concept, but not so great in execution, not a reason to buy these phones. EDIT: the 215s do not fold up. They come with a carrying case and a mini-to-1/4" adapter.

Comfort - the circum-aural pleather-padded earcups make a pretty good seal over my unfortuntately large ears. The cups themselves are pretty comfortable. Although I find getting a good fit to be somehwat difficult with the stepped adjustable headband. The pleather headband is only adequately comfortable. Overall, these phones definitely are more comfortable than my SR80's (). I don't forget they're on, but they are physically suitable for longer listening. One note: due to their size, the 215s are somewhat difficult to adjust for comfortable listening in bed, but it is possible.

SOUND - Caveats: my other phones are Grados! Also, I'm still a headphone newbie!

I'm primarily using the phones amped (cmoy). They sound better amped, but are definitely easily driven by portable devices such as my ipod. The main difference between the 215s and my Grados is how laid back the 215s sound in comparison. This is both good and bad. The Senns are far less fatiguing, but the music also has less impact. The 215s have a darker sound, as expected, but the bass is not muddy. At the same time, these do not strike me as basshead phones. Others may disagree. I wish the 215s had more punch in the bass.

Vocals and mids are lovely, perhaps the strength of the 215. Warm, maybe a tad bright, but very nice. They seem to hit a nice "sweet spot." I really like the way these phones treat vocals.

Isolation is very good. The phones achieve a good seal once you get them seated properly and outside noise becomes minimal. They also passed the wife sleeping next to me test, although they do leak at high volumes.

I believe the 215s will benefit from burn-in, and I will try to post an update.

Overall assessment: I feel these phones are worth the $89 I spent for them, but I like the impact and urgency of my Grados. Frankly, I think the Grados are better phones, more musical. However, the 215s are relatively-easygoing, if somewhat distant and a tad bright. But they do a nice job with vocals. I wish the bass had more oomph. Bottom line: these will be given to the wife, and I will be trying to decide between the 250-80s and the K271s.

The only thing that hurts more than my gut is my wallet!

I'll do my best to answer questions if you got 'em.

Cheers!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 1, 2005 at 4:40 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by NightRaven
How big are these, roughly? Would you consider them at all portable as far as size/construction/weight?

They aren't very heavy, but I think they are physically too large to be considered portable. Perhaps if they folded, but they do not.

Apr 25, 2005 at 9:54 PM Post #4 of 4
In my initial review, I noticed some brightness and sibilance in the vocals. this seems to have decreased with burn in. These phones are pretty good, but they have become expendable due to my recent HD 25-1 purchase. That said, I will be looking for a basshead (or at least bassier) phone to add to the stable. I'm thinking the Beyerdynamic DT 770 or DT 250.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back