Sennheiser HD 205 vs HD 212pro or HD 205 first impressions
Jan 8, 2006 at 7:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

anyatinagan

New Head-Fier
Alright, i'm not really familiar with some of the terms you guys use around here, particularly the terms "rolloff" or "extension" so please bear with me and try to be as understanding as possible while I provide you with my beginner's first impression of the HD 205
biggrin.gif

I have to admit, I got interested in this pair of headphones intially because of the way it looks. Now as it turns out the sound doesn't deviate much from its aesthetic quality, which is good, at least i dont feel any remorse for spening $53 on a pair of headphones. I compared the HD 205's build and SQ with my friend's HD 212 pro since it's the only other decent headphone that i could get a hold of. My friend has had the HD 212 pro for five months now, so i'm assuming that it's been properly burned in. Also, I dont own an amp (not yet anyway), so the phones were plugged straight into my ipod shuffle.

Accessories/Freebies
It comes with a gold plated screw-on jack adapter and a black pouch that looks like it's made of leather but I could be wrong. The pouch looks and feels quite nice though
tongue.gif

Build Quality
No creaks so far on the 205. I could hear little creaks with the 212pro while looking around or turning my head sideways. Not a major problem with the 212pro because it doesn't happen often, it just does it sometimes, but right now i'm being critical (or anal) for analytical purposes. The seal is much much better on the 205 IMO, maybe because it clamps tighter, or maybe it's the shape of the cans - they're smaller and lean towards the circular variety whereas the 212pro's are for lack of a better word - oval. Although both are sealed cans, i've noticed that the 205 isolates ambient noise a little more efficiently than the 212pro. Both are made of plastic, but they're not fragile by any means. I'm curious about the 205's single sided cable, because it doesn't look like it's detachable like the 212pros which worries me because i know it'll need to be replaced eventually. I'm not gonna try to pull it out just to find out though.

Sound Quality
Now onto the climax, sweet cherry - the sound quality. My 205's haven't gotten a proper burn in yet, so i'll probably be updating this mini impressions post in the future to tell you guys how burning in improves or deteriorates it.

Right now, listening to Ani DiFranco's Studying stones (192kbs mp3) with the 212pro, i've noticed the violin at the beginning of the song, just right before Ms. DiFranco starts singing, sounds a bit recessed and i find myself straining a bit because it would've sounded better if it was a bit more forward sounding. The 205 does this a little better. the sound of the violin is clearer and doesn't sound muddy. I'm assuming that people determine the brightness of a pair of headphones by measuring the prominence of the highs? The 205 is not bright at all, i think the highs are enough and wont cause fatigue. I also think that the mids are handled well and are well presented. The songs that I've listened to with the HD 205 didn't sound lacking in detail, and I wasn't even blasting the volume (afraid of hearing loss). The bass, compared to the 212pro, is well-defined IMO. I asked my partner to perform a side by side bass listening test with the HD 212pro and HD 205, to put emphasis on objective analysis, and he concluded that the 205 sounds better. He felt that the bass sounds like a separate instrument or entity, unlike the 212 pro, which sounds as if everything in the audio spectrum is tainted with bass. This, coming from a person who refuses to put on a headphone because he feels suffocated everytime he puts one on. The 205 is a bit punchy too, and that's a good thing. The song we tested the bass on is Familiar Feeling (Martin Buttrich remix) (vbr2 mp3) by Moloko.

Overall I'm quite satisfied with my purchase. Not bad for a first headphone I'd have to say. I'm just excited with the amount of options out there waiting for me. I'm eyeing the HD 555 for my next purchase. I'm wondering how my HD 205 will fare against it. I dont want to be strictly on the sennheiser house, but senns are the most common audiophile headphones around here. And Philips. AKG's impossible to get here. Beyer Dynamics too. See my predicament?

I wish i could've tested the HD 201 against the 205 when i was at the store, seeing how well regarded the 201 is for entry level cans around here but i was too excited to buy the thing.

I'd love to hear what others think of their 205s.

Ah, and curse you head-fi (is it right to curse head-fi this early?)
580smile.gif

*************Jan 01 2006 Update: Pics******************

It looks like i wont have my camera back sooner than I'd like (friend borrowed it). So here are some shots taken with my coworker's phone camera. Not as clear as one would like but heh
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 8, 2006 at 11:02 PM Post #2 of 11
Sounds like the '205 matches the other current/new HD4xxs in sonic signature - smooth, laid-back, good bass but nowhere near as much as on the '212Pro
basshead.gif
. It isolates better than the (already good) '212Pro? Me want!

Jan 8, 2006 at 11:57 PM Post #3 of 11
To help you out, extension means capability to play the frequency at all (usually as opposed to impact, which means capability to play it well), and is usually spoken in regards to bass. Often, a headphone will have good extension (it will go low) but poor impact (but it's not as audible). HD280 is a good example of this.

Rolloff just means that you stop hearing sound rather sharply after a certain frequency. For example, if the bass rolls off at 80Hz, you might get -2dB at 75, -6dB at 68, -12dB at 60, and even lower as you go. Same with highs.

Jan 9, 2006 at 12:55 AM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by NotJeffBuckley
Rolloff just means that you stop hearing sound rather sharply after a certain frequency. For example, if the bass rolls off at 80Hz, you might get -2dB at 75, -6dB at 68, -12dB at 60, and even lower as you go. Same with highs.

Forgive my ignorance, but i have to ask (i have to know more like)

What kind of equipment do you use to measure the rolloffs? is there such an equipment?

Jan 9, 2006 at 11:42 AM Post #7 of 11
I have just been sent the HD205 and it is a surprising headphone for the type of money Sennheiser are asking for it. In the UK - it ranges from £21 to £29. This is one cheap headphone and looking at it doesn't seem to tally with the price. It looks far more expensive and in a pleather pouch too. It is a bargain for portable use.

Plenty of weight and good treble extension. It is driven easily by a naff little mp3 player with a tiny output and still sounds fine. Isolation is good and it allows you to get the volume down and still be able to hear clearly what is going on the in the music.

Three gripes -

a) They are too tight on your head and squash your lugs. (Hot too)
b) The cable is the cheapest piece of s*it. That's a shame - it's crying out for a cable change and it could become even better imo.
c) I think that it has been designed for portable use, but the cable is pretty long (as well as thin)

It does its job well but I'm not brave enough (at my age) to go out in public with them on with that silly little thin wire curling up around me.

Ian

Jan 9, 2006 at 5:24 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by iancraig10
I have just been sent the HD205 and it is a surprising headphone for the type of money Sennheiser are asking for it. In the UK - it ranges from £21 to £29. This is one cheap headphone and looking at it doesn't seem to tally with the price. It looks far more expensive and in a pleather pouch too. It is a bargain for portable use.

Plenty of weight and good treble extension. It is driven easily by a naff little mp3 player with a tiny output and still sounds fine. Isolation is good and it allows you to get the volume down and still be able to hear clearly what is going on the in the music.

Three gripes -

a) They are too tight on your head and squash your lugs. (Hot too)
b) The cable is the cheapest piece of s*it. That's a shame - it's crying out for a cable change and it could become even better imo.
c) I think that it has been designed for portable use, but the cable is pretty long (as well as thin)

It does its job well but I'm not brave enough (at my age) to go out in public with them on with that silly little thin wire curling up around me.

Ian

Now that you mention it the cable does look rather... well, it doesn't look like it'll last me a year. Is it possible to recable it? AND is there gonna be any soldering involved? the plug going into the phones is not detachable right (like the 212pro)?

It is tight, but not to the extent that i become uncomfortable. But then again i dont have any other headphone to compare the comfort level to
icon10.gif
it's tighter than the 212pro that's for sure

very_evil_smiley.gif
I've been using them in public for the past two days now. It's quite liberating
k1000smile.gif
I get stares, sure, I've also had a couple of people come up and ask me how much these headphones cost. One of my coworkers asked if she could have a listen and I let her, and she couldn't stop nodding (in approval perhaps?) while listening.

Jan 9, 2006 at 5:51 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by anyatinagan
very_evil_smiley.gif
I've been using them in public for the past two days now. It's quite liberating
k1000smile.gif
I get stares, sure, I've also had a couple of people come up and ask me how much these headphones cost. One of my coworkers asked if she could have a listen and I let her, and she couldn't stop nodding (in approval perhaps?) while listening.

In the UK, people stare at you like an alien and then you can almost see them thinking - he's an alien ...... :wink:

They could be rewired but it would require soldering. The wire is a pity because I really think that they are excellent value.

When I got home today (I haven't burned them in at all yet), I compared them directly with the 485 and I have to say that I prefer the 205. Normally, I don't like closed cans but these little devils have a nice tone. The 485 sounds more 'boxy' to my ears but then again, it may be the set up at home doesn't suit them - I plugged them both into a Graham Slee amp and the difference in sound is quite amazing on orchestral music. For me, the 205 had the edge.

I would love to compare them to the 201 now. (Never heard a 201) You may actually find the 555 dull in comparison. The fit is much better and they are more comfortable, but the 205 seems to have more of a sparkle. The value for money is terrific with these 205's.

Now I'm going to have to sell the 465 and the 485's that I have!! Actually, I had those two for review but the cheap little 205 kicks ass!!!

Ian

Jan 9, 2006 at 6:13 PM Post #10 of 11
i'll probably create a new thread for this eventually but I just want your opinion since you seem to have a wide array of audio equipment.

How is the govibe for portables? what kind of improvement should i expect to hear with the 205?

I'm looking into getting an amp, and the govibe 4 seems like a good choice, from what little reading i've done on portable amps.

thanks!

Jan 9, 2006 at 7:24 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by anyatinagan
i'll probably create a new thread for this eventually but I just want your opinion since you seem to have a wide array of audio equipment.

How is the govibe for portables? what kind of improvement should i expect to hear with the 205?

I'm looking into getting an amp, and the govibe 4 seems like a good choice, from what little reading i've done on portable amps.

thanks!

The Go-Vibe is extremely good. It is built really well and produces a lot of volume and in many cases, there is a lot of difference between unamped and amped. I also have the Pocket Amp.

The wierd thing about these phones is, I prefer them slightly more coming from the Iriver 799 direct!! They have a little more punch and when I put the Go-vibe in, it seems to 'deflate' slightly!! I have no idea why.

I'll try them for longer periods and see whether it's consistent. If they are better without an amp, then so be it but the theory says that they should be better .... I can't hear it though.

It could be that coming from a headphone out rather than line is having an effect so I'll try it with something else.

Ian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back