Sennheiser HD 202 a positive surprise
Jan 23, 2005 at 10:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Langrath

100+ Head-Fier
I bought Sennheiser HD202 to get isolation from the sound of lawn mower etc. It was also of curiosity. They are a little cheaper than PX100, so even if they were bad I didn’t get ruined.
My expectation wasn’t too big, but I was surprised.
They are supra-auricle and reach to the outer edges of your ears. Much bigger than px200. The isolation is very good. Much better than PX200.They feel very soft on the ears but hard pressed. I don’t want to bend them. That would give worse isolation.
The sound is not horrible. Of course not perfect but good enough for enjoying music.
The bass is a little too big, but rather clean. The treble hasn’t hissing s, and is quite acceptable. The Achilles heel is midrange that is suppressed and a little diffuse.
Don’t misunderstand me. They are no audiophile headphones. But if you want cheap headphones with very good isolation and quite acceptable sound, I can recommend them. I think you will be surprised in a positive way as me.

Georg

Jan 23, 2005 at 11:30 AM Post #2 of 8
Reading~!

Jan 23, 2005 at 1:40 PM Post #3 of 8
Following on that line, I suggest also the HD477.
Very flat (apart from punchy bass); a bit warmer than the HD497.
And cheaper, which isn't bad since even the 497 wasn't really "audiophile"
to me.

Jan 23, 2005 at 2:33 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Langrath
I bought Sennheiser HD202 to get isolation from the sound of lawn mower etc. It was also of curiosity. They are a little cheaper than PX100, so even if they were bad I didn’t get ruined.
My expectation wasn’t too big, but I was surprised.
They are supra-auricle and reach to the outer edges of your ears. Much bigger than px200. The isolation is very good. Much better than PX200.They feel very soft on the ears but hard pressed. I don’t want to bend them. That would give worse isolation.
The sound is not horrible. Of course not perfect but good enough for enjoying music.
The bass is a little too big, but rather clean. The treble hasn’t hissing s, and is quite acceptable. The Achilles heel is midrange that is suppressed and a little diffuse.
Don’t misunderstand me. They are no audiophile headphones. But if you want cheap headphones with very good isolation and quite acceptable sound, I can recommend them. I think you will be surprised in a positive way as me.

Georg

yeah the 202's are what? $24?

They're definately a deal if you want a cheap closed phone for rock/rap.

cool.gif

Jan 23, 2005 at 3:37 PM Post #5 of 8
If you don't mind somewhat bloated but strong bass the HD202 is quite decent for the money. Not my cup of tea since it's hard to discern smaller frequency variations in the bass, but I can see how it would be quite pleasing for most rap/hiphop.

Jan 24, 2005 at 7:48 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kid-A
does it leak much sound? (i might buy some for the car)

No, they don't. I have also px200, which leaks much more sound.
I have not had any closed headphones before that leak so little. It is winter now, but I tested them with my lawn mower. It has rather loud sound. With headphones I hear them only a little, much weak, not disturbing.
I think you must have canal phones to get lesser leak than HD202.
If you mean leak out I think it is proportional to leak in, so I am sure that it is little leak also that way.

Georg

Jan 24, 2005 at 8:10 AM Post #8 of 8
the 202s were my first cans, the sloppy boomy bass was a bit much and the padding wasn't as comfortable as the 212pro but for the price (i got em for $20) it can't be beat! Nice to see you like em

Users who are viewing this thread

Back