Sennheiser HD 201: Moving on up
Sep 21, 2014 at 6:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

nebnacnud

New Head-Fier
Looking for a new pair of headphones. My first real pair was the HD201's, and I absolutely love them. They are evenly balanced, have deep bass extension, get subtle detail without ear piercing sibilance, and you can hear the "texture" in each instrument's tone, if that makes sense. However, I am now willing to spend a bit more money on headphones (not too much, still a college kid), around 100 USD. I would prefer circumaural headphones, either closed or open. Should I stick with Sennheiser since I like the HD201's; and if so, which model should I get? Or, will I get better sound for the money by going with a different set? My only real qualifications are the sound and price. My computer will be the main source, an HP Pavilion g7. It outputs more than enough power to drive the HD201's. (another thing I love about them, as you increase the volume, it doesn't get louder and distorted, the sound seems to get better and fuller.) I'm not sure about the sound card and exact specifics, but some of the things that I see when delving around: "IDT High Definition Audio CODEC" , "SRS Premium Sound". I listen to all different kinds of music; classical symphonies, band pieces, piano, jazz, choral, a capella, etc. Indie, classic rock, punk rock, rock, electronic, ska, metal, beach music, oldies, other, and last, but definitely least, pop. And there are a bunch of other genres that I'm not exactly sure how they are defined. But. Anyways, I think I have covered everything I can think of. If you have read this far: Thanks, sorry for the wall of text, and please comment if you have anything at all to say! If I left out anything at all, or just any random questions, please ask. And if you know of any good recommendations, please tell me. I believe that's all, so thanks in advance!

Sep 21, 2014 at 7:35 PM Post #2 of 7
Hello!

You should read about:

-Logitech UE6000
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/surprisingly-good-logitec-ue6000-and-ue9000

-Takstar Pro 80 + HM5 Pads
You can read and ask about them here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/585356/the-takstar-technical-pro-gemini-greathon-cyberx-qpad-thread/2340

You could also read about Donscorpio Dolphin and Creative Aurvana Live! 2

Best Luck!

Sep 22, 2014 at 8:36 AM Post #3 of 7
Hey, thanks for the suggestions. I think I like the Pro 80's. Would you recommend them over any of the similarly priced Sennheiser models? Like the HD 205, 280, 419, 429, 439, 449? Not each specifically of course. And also, many of the reviews for some of the other phones describe them as bassy or v-shaped, and while I understand everyone has a different standard/opinion for the definition of balanced sound, most of the reviews I read about the HD 201's say they have a very neutral sound. I guess it's kind of hard to judge opinions in reviews when you don't really have a solid popular headphone that many people can reference. Do you have any insight as to which ones would be most similar to the HD 201's?

Sep 22, 2014 at 12:52 PM Post #5 of 7
I haven't heard Philips SHL3300, but I prefer Takstars over Philips Downtown/Uptown/Fidelios M1/L1.

HD201 are pretty much the opposite of headphones with v-shaped sound signature.

Pro80s should provide much more bass and treble extension, and overall a much more neutral presentation.

HD280 should be pretty similar to Pro80s in terms of sound signature, maybe slightly less detailed. I'm not sure about how they compare in terms of comfort. Pro 80s with HM5 pads are said to be very comfortable. Takstars look less plastic, and in my experience they are really sturdy, I guess HD280s aren't fragile anyway.

On the other hand, headphones like HD419, HD439 are really dark sounding (boosted bass, recessed treble) so, not a great pick if you like a balanced sound.

Best Luck!

Sep 22, 2014 at 1:16 PM Post #7 of 7
Alright, thank you for all the recommendations and explanations, I'm settled on the Takstar now. And if I find them uncomfortable I'll order the HM5 pads. Thanks again for all the help and patience, I really appreciate it.
Adieu!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back