Sennheiser HD 201 complete rebuild
Jun 9, 2019 at 12:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

iddqd23

New Head-Fier
So i was searching for some lightweight, 'low-profile', not too bulky OE-headphones for outside use and ended up building a pair myself..

Took a pair of Sennheiser HD201, probably the shittiest cans i ever owned- and HELL, are they SH..., but as not being bulky nor flashy, they fit the profile...

Here's what i did:

1/
rewire from dual cable housing to single cable- replaced the flimsy cable with basic STAGG cable. Here i had to make room for the cable in parts of the housing using my trusty soldering iron..

2/
replaced the pathetic drivers with a pair of 50mm's i had left from some old cans.
Here i ran into a problem- they wouldn't fit the housing...
so, since this was more of an experiment, and it was no money involved, i simply flattened the inners of the housing with my trusty soldering iron until the drivers would fit-
nothing pretty on the eyes, but with the help of some superglue, mission accomplished.
also had to glue some new protective grid onto the outside, since the original 'speakers' had the grid integrated...
i also had to remove parts of the inner guard for the wing, which attaches the cups to the headband...given this, i had to go with the magic of superglue once more, and glued the wings onto the cup- so no more adjustion in this regard, but they fit nonetheless..AND this gives the cans an opened feel, since the holes are pretty darn big...

Finally finished everything up with changing the padding of the headband for some satin fabric and removed the wrecked pleather from the cups and wrapped the outside of the cups in carbon vinyl to take away somewhat from the cheapish looks...whereever one might stand as to carbon wrap, i think for these, even this is an improvement, lol.

final thoughts..
they sound pretty decent, certainly good enough for outside use..the semi open build adds to that, certainly not a pro for outside use tho...i know its the antithesis of anything 'head-fi', but liked the shape of the cans so whatever lol

Cheers

2019-06-09 17.23.35.jpg
2019-06-09 17.25.23.jpg
2019-06-09 17.24.46.jpg 2019-06-09 17.25.38.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back