Sennheiser Evolution EH-150 or Skullcandy Hesh?
Feb 28, 2009 at 7:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Looking4Sound

New Head-Fier
I don't care too much about the style (but give me your opinion please), but more on the sound quality. I love bass although I don't want the bass to be too overpowering. Thanks. Also, if neither of these are good, can you please give me your recommendation for this price range ($50.00- US)? All help is appreciated. Thanks.

Feb 28, 2009 at 7:01 AM Post #2 of 21
I dare you to search for "skullcandy" on this site.
wink.gif

Feb 28, 2009 at 7:23 AM Post #4 of 21
thats a loaded question. I'd wager most people who'd comment havent actually heard them.

i think the best answer you'll get, before the bashing of Skullcandy starts....again....is to try both and stick with whichever sounds best to you.

You will get other recommendations though of course, like the Grado SR60s. You probably would be better off simply asking for suggestions for a fixed price range. Just dont say Bose or SkullCandy and you would be safe.

Feb 28, 2009 at 7:33 AM Post #5 of 21
I'd add Sennheiser's HD 201 to your list. Seems to be the staple cheap, closed headphone for an amazing price. For $25, can't go wrong.

But it doesn't come in camo though.

Feb 28, 2009 at 7:35 AM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Emooze /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But it doesn't come in camo though.

ooooohh... deal breaker
atsmile.gif

Feb 28, 2009 at 7:47 AM Post #7 of 21
honestly, I can say I've heard most of the SkullCandy product line, and I can say, you aren't missing much, and I would say bass is almost non-existant across the line (including the ones with "subwoofers")

I haven't, however, heard the EH-150's, although I have heard some lower end Sony, Grado, and Denon products (which probably aren't in the $30 range, closer to $50-$60), and they are MUCH better

I would suggest the Denon AH-D501k, Sony MDR-V700DJ or MDR-V6, and a possible look at the iGrado (I know, not a ton of bass, but the bass is quality, not blabby)

I'm not saying buy any of these mind you, merely consider them, audition if possible

'phones that I haven't heard but also suggest you take a look at:
JVC HA-RX700 and HA-RX900

Feb 28, 2009 at 8:23 AM Post #8 of 21
Definitely Sennheiser.
Skullcandy don't have a high mark around here...

Feb 28, 2009 at 8:32 AM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Definitely Sennheiser.
Skullcandy don't have a high mark around here...

and see, I went and tracked down most of them to audition/play with, just to try and disprove that

about 75% of the skullcandy hate is 100% deserved by the products

its not like Bose where most head-fi'ers simply don't like the sound because it isn't "accurate", but theres at least a few users who actually enjoy the sound, and a number of non-head-fi'ers who own them and are quite happy with their purchases

SkullCandy owners will usually even admit that its a very low quality product

Feb 28, 2009 at 12:00 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thats a loaded question. I'd wager most people who'd comment havent actually heard them.

i think the best answer you'll get, before the bashing of Skullcandy starts....again....is to try both and stick with whichever sounds best to you.

You will get other recommendations though of course, like the Grado SR60s. You probably would be better off simply asking for suggestions for a fixed price range. Just dont say Bose or SkullCandy and you would be safe.

But that is not the best solution... What if he thinks -because he does not know what GOOD SOUND IS-, that more bass regardless its quality is better than controlled bass that does not cover mids and highs?

If he listens to his music with that preconception he will be lying to his ears. And when he gets used to that muddy sound and listens to other quality headphones he will feel bad for that waste of money...

Just to make things clear to the OP, skullcandy are by no means the best at anything around here, you will find cheaper, better sounding and better looking cans than those

Welcome to Head-fi

Feb 28, 2009 at 7:40 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullseye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But that is not the best solution... What if he thinks -because he does not know what GOOD SOUND IS-, that more bass regardless its quality is better than controlled bass that does not cover mids and highs?

If he listens to his music with that preconception he will be lying to his ears. And when he gets used to that muddy sound and listens to other quality headphones he will feel bad for that waste of money...

Just to make things clear to the OP, skullcandy are by no means the best at anything around here, you will find cheaper, better sounding and better looking cans than those

Welcome to Head-fi

confused_face(1).gif
I'm not sure ANYONE knows what good sound is, it all depends on the individual, its not a quantifiable object

+1 on the sennheiser 201/202

Feb 28, 2009 at 8:48 PM Post #14 of 21
Because of all your guys helpful opinions, I've decided to keep looking. What do you guys think of Sennheiser HD 205? Please keep in mind I'm looking for headphones to use with my iPod Touch 2g and my computer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back