Sennheiser earbud comparison
Nov 1, 2007 at 7:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Moonwalker

100+ Head-Fier
Hi!

Yesterday I did listening and measuring tests to my Sennheiser buds. I have older pair of MX-400 (4 years old) and newer MX-350 (1 year old).
All listening was done on my old Sony MZ-R30 MiniDisc recorder, using headphone out and no added amp.

The songs used were from
Mike Oldfield: The Songs of Distant Earth
Enya: The Best of
and some random pop songs from various artists

Here is my observation and comparison between these two earbuds:

Fit (foamed): gave me no problem, but for long-term listening, I preferred MX-350 by a slight margin

Volume: On the same setting 11/30 on my MD, the MX350 appeared louder by some 4 dB than the MX-400.

Soundstage: Joke! Earbuds and soundstage! The MX-350 sounds distant sometimes, or hollow somewhat. Still, the space for music is severely compressed. MX-400 makes some attempts for tiny soundstage, but you can feel they're IN the ears and the sound is produced by small drivers.

Detail: Both buds obscure details, MX-350 in lower mid range, MX-400 in higher bands (treble). No match here for traditional phones, but both are substantialy better than stock bundled buds for MP3 players.

Dynamics: I tried find music that will sound dynamic, explosive on buds, but on higher volumes these pieces sound uncomfortable to me, and on lower volume there's no dynamics to speak of. But the MX-350 seems to catch the sudden attacks of tones better. Maybe seem a litlle faster.

Balance: MX-350 is definitely heavy on low treble, otherwise quite balanced for earbus, with typical weak low end. MX-400 seems more smooth and balanced, but its deficit on mid to hi treble is obvious, and lower end is even less present than in MX-350.

Frequency range: MX-350 is limited on bottom, power range (-6dB) is about 120Hz - 17kHz. MX-400 power range is about 140Hz - 13,5kHz. One remark: the MX-400 smoother response helps them to perceive them as more extended, there is no large dropoff in low range.

Bass: MX-350 has stronger bass, with less precision and extension than MX-400. I prefer MX-400 with Sony Mega Bass level 1 on most music.

Mids: MX-350 have mids quite clear, but little artifical sounding to me. MX-400 has better mids, balanced, but they seem rough and sandy (for lack of better words).

Treble: Quantity-wise clearly wins MX-350. They are too sharp on raised volume, but are there. The MX-400 masks them, probably the plastic screen with little holes has to do something with this issue.

Overall: The MX-350 is good bud with somewhat hollow and sharp sound, the MX-400 removes detail, adds grain but seems more natural in presentation of music for me.

Measurements:
I used white noise track made by CEP1.2 and AKG C1000S mic with subsequent EQ in CEP1.2 calibrated to remove irregularities in response and compensate for proximity effect.

Below is the chart comapring the two phones, cyan is MX-400, purple is MX-350.

I hope this post will help contrast the difference between Sennheiser's older and newer generation of traditional earbuds.

Moonwalker

Nov 2, 2007 at 7:45 AM Post #3 of 6
Hi bmorrison!

Thanks, it's fairly simple:
I measured well known phones emiting white noise with the mic about 1cm apart - the website and manual says how the C1000 reponds in near filed. Then I measured the same with metal front mesh removed, and the naked capsule about 0.5 mm from the driver. The difference in FR was obvious. I then made inverse EQ curve to compensate for the changes in FR.

Then I pressed the buds with foam with approximately the same pressure like when they are in my ears (little really) to the mic capsule - it's about 1/2 inch so they are similar in size. Then I run white noise at fairly low volume and after de-noising, EQ there are the charts!
580smile.gif

One remark: The MX-400 are my third pair. Every pair I had developed channel imbalance after heavy use, one channel louder than other. I suspect that's no problem of volume (i my case always low), but occasional drop on wood table etc. The shock must moved the voice coil from optimal position or the diaphragm touched some plastic inside, thus losing little sensitivity. The imbalance when I decided to sign off them was more than 6 dB and having no balance control on my MD, I couldn't tolerate it more.

Other buds including MX-350 and 4 pairs of Sony bundles do not have this problem - they have other, though
biggrin.gif
(SQ)

That's about it.

Moonwalker

Nov 2, 2007 at 8:15 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Moonwalker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fit (foamed): gave me no problem, but for long-term listening, I preferred MX-350 by a slight margin

Agreed. MX400 with foam is too big for me. MX300 without foam is a good alternative... it's what I use as beater buds.

Quote:

Overall: The MX-350 is good bud with somewhat hollow and sharp sound, the MX-400 removes detail, adds grain but seems more natural in presentation of music for me

I don't know about "hollow" and "grain" but I agree: MX400 seems to have less detail but sounds smoother while the MX350 sounds bright and seems a little better to me.

I also have (or had) MX450 and MX300. The x50 series have a distinct sound as compared to the x00 series but I think there are more differences in the x00 series. In particular, the MX300 sounds OK to me without foam while I would rather not listen to the MX400 without foams. None of these buds are spectacular (even when compared to some cheap Sonys I bought in a grocery) and they all sound somewhat similar IMO... I get bigger differences with "pad rolling".
If you're into buds, try Yuins!

Nov 2, 2007 at 9:37 AM Post #5 of 6
Hi HFat!

I must partly agree with you, the MX-350 are better in certain ways, extension and detail wise. Still, their sound seems to have too much metallic coloration to be natural.

You are right these Senns are no miracles, just above average.
I prefer my KSC-35 by a large margin, my wife prefer buds. But the Yuins in Czech republic are almost unknown. When the last pair of buds will die, I thing I gave her my PX-100.

I used MX-350 with no EQ, just foamed, MX-400 almost always with MD Sony digital MegaBass on level 1, helps +6dB on 100Hz and another +6 on 10kHz, nicely compliment the ranges where the MX-400 loses response.

Nov 2, 2007 at 9:58 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

But the Yuins in Czech republic are almost unknown.

I think it's fair to say they're unknown everywhere. I ordered mine from the states.

Quote:

I used MX-350 with no EQ, just foamed, MX-400 almost always with MD Sony digital MegaBass on level 1, helps +6dB on 100Hz and another +6 on 10kHz, nicely compliment the ranges where the MX-400 loses response.

That sounds like a good tweak.
To be fair I didn't try to EQ them which may be why I prefer the x50 series. I don't mind a metallic coloration too much as none of these has enough bass to sound natural anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back