Sennheiser cx300 - transducer principle: open?
Mar 4, 2006 at 5:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

dokkyo

New Head-Fier
I'm a huge fan of Sennheiser's MX400 because of its open-air transducer principle, but I've been trying to find a in-ear set for my commute.

I recently got a set of Ultimate Ears super.fi 5 pro because they were on sale, but to be honest I was underwhelmed. I was never much of a fan of closed headphones because of the muffled effect so while super.fi wasn't bad sounding, it still lacked the crispness I favor in the MX400.

So all of this brings me to my topic above: Sennheiser cx300 specs says that its transducer principle is open. Is that really true? Does it have the quality of making you feel like you're in a concert rather than the concert in your head? (I realize some would prefer the latter). I'm confused because according to Sennheiser's Art of Sound (http://www.sennheiserusa.com/newsite...Sound_2006.pdf) catalog it actually says it's closed (pg 27)

Anyhow I have until the end of this month to return my super.fi under the 30 day policy (although 15% restocking fee). Any advise on whether or not I should just keep them? They hurt after a while so that's probably not good. Are the sennheiser buds smaller? Should I not even bother with in-ear buds because they'll never archive the quality of open-air ones!?!

(seems wrong that I think $15 earphones sound better than $250 ones)

Mar 4, 2006 at 5:21 AM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by dokkyo
(seems wrong that I think $15 earphones sound better than $250 ones)

It's not wrong. I like my ksc35 better than a lot of $200 headphones.

Anyway, here's the short of it for me.

Does it sound as good as open phones?
No...but it's close.

I used to own the er4p and i could not get used to them. To me, the cx300 sound better than them. The sound is fuller and the bass is a lot better. Also, you don't have to stick it in all the way into your ears.

The open sound of the ksc35 is still better than the cx300 i feel BUT i enjoy the cx300 more on commutes because it does its job well at isolation. Where i use to listen to my ipod at 3/4 of the volume level, i find myself now turning it down to 2/5 of the max volume. I'm conserving battery as well as saving my ears.

Mar 5, 2006 at 6:37 AM Post #3 of 7
Thanks for the info. I think I'll definitely be getting myself a pair.

As for my super.fi 5 pro -- I'm actually getting use to them. At first I was ignoring the medium and large flange eartips figuring they wouldn't work for me and all I got from it was pain because I was trying to stick them in my ear, but then I read somewhere on this forum (I think I'm hooked) that they found the best seal with the tips at the ear opening and tadaa! I've found a great seal/suction and (so far) less pain.

I'll try this setup out for a few more days to be sure, but these are looking more and more like keepers...

Mar 5, 2006 at 6:40 PM Post #4 of 7
hey dokkyo,

be sure to post a comparison between your 5pro's and the cx300 when you get a chance...not a fair comparison, but I think many would find it interesting. I was about to jump on the $160 5pro's but decided on the cx300's for $40. Let me know what I'm missing and how noticeable it is to you.

Mar 6, 2006 at 11:15 AM Post #5 of 7
Just ordered a pair for 60$ (the cheapest around here). I'll feel very stupid if there won't be any improvment over the mx400/500
rolleyes.gif

Nov 11, 2011 at 2:39 AM Post #6 of 7
Man, if u want a kick ass awsome set of in ear head phones, as I recon there the only way to go., you cant go past the Sennheiser CX 280. With a wider than average soundfrequency response of  19-20500Hz. The best thing about these head phones are the BASS. Im addicted to bass, big time, and the next best thing to my 15" home sub are these head phones. Unfortunatly there not earth shattering like a sub, but they definatly deliver plenty of bass, straight down your ear canal, abd so crystal clear THD total harmonic distortion 0.5%. Im telling you, im going to damage my ear drums with there babys, they go with me every where, I love em. So for around $80 I dont recon an average ear could tell the differance with any better sound quality. Get em if u havnt gotem. everyone should have a pair. Mad

Users who are viewing this thread

Back