Sennheiser CX 680 for running/gym headphones?
Oct 25, 2011 at 4:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

digitalsufi

New Head-Fier
Anyone used Sennheiser CX 680 for running/gym? They look pretty decent, esp with all the sweat/water resistant and ear canal fit. Wondering if they sounds decent.

Amazon has them for $45 bucks, look tempting.

http://www.sennheiserusa.com/sport-headphones-sennheiser-adidas_504034

Thanks

Oct 25, 2011 at 5:02 PM Post #2 of 7
Yes, I have them.  Got them about a month ago specifically for the gym.  I watch movies and stuff at the gym on my iPhone and these are great for it.  I would not use them running though.  I don't like in-ear for outdoor use, I like to hear what's going on around me.  For running I'd pick the non in-ear ones, the MX680's.  But yeah, got mine at amazon also.  I opted for the one with the mic, I liked the volume control rocker a little more than the barrel one on the non mic version.

Nov 2, 2011 at 5:51 PM Post #4 of 7
So I went ahead and got the Sennheiser CX 680. Not audiophile quality, but as good as it gets when it comes to sports headphones. More importantly, they stay in and are water/sweatproof. Best thing out there for gym and running. Satisfied customer here :)

Dec 12, 2011 at 3:59 PM Post #5 of 7
So I'm pretty new hear, but I thought I'd give a quick review of these headphones as I've been using them for quite a while now.

I've had these headphones for about 5 months now.  Overall I've been pretty happy with them; they are definitely sweat resistant, and have very nice sound quality for the price (as I would have expected from Sennheiser).  The volume knob is a bit cumbersome; I have to clip the cord to my shirt when I work out, and because of the weight of the volume knob the headphones do come out of my ear sometimes when I run.  This is rather annoying, as the chief reason I got the headphones was for working out/running.  Noise isolation is great, perfect for jamming out in a loud gym.  They're great for working out, but when I'm running and start sweating they get slippery and need adjustment every 0.5 miles or so (which I guess isn't that bad...).  If you're big into bass, these are somewhat lacking in that area (though a definite step up from iPod headphones).  I've been using them as my primary headphones for a while (got some Senn HD448s on the way), all in all I'm pretty satisfied.  However, due to the problem with them falling out while running I'm looking to switch to the over ear model. 

Sound 5/5
Fuctionality 4/5
Build Quality 4/5 (see below)
Overall 4/5

EDIT
The rubber things on the bottom of the earpiece (where they connect to the cords) have come out on both sides.  Doesn't affect fuctionality, but it's just annoying.  Was a quick fix with a couple drops of super glue.

Jan 17, 2012 at 7:38 PM Post #6 of 7
I am using the CX680 for over a year and half. The fins were useless to me to keep the buds whilst running, but instead of buying overpriced Sennheiser replacement silicone tips, I have used disposable foam tips. They do not fall out whilst running and provide excellent external noise isolation.

This works because when you insert foam-tipped earbud into your ear, you roll down the foam and after insertion they expand which provides a seal to external noise whilst preventing them from falling out.

See the full discussion here for the DIY guide on making the tips. I am using Howard Leight Bilsom's and Classic Ear Soft's with excellent results.

Feb 25, 2012 at 6:40 PM Post #7 of 7
i have a bad experience with my cx680s... the first pair i got... well my fault actually... got eaten by sumthing...

the second pair, after 3mo, the rubber base of the earphone separated from the plastic part.. i think the mixture of sweat, and humidity (philippines) got them.. and after a couple of months (8th-10th) the kevlar cable has been showing signs of wear?? what signs?? they expose the wire itself... those are the flexpoints when im running. near the splitter or sumthing... durability is a nightmare i tell you T__T

Users who are viewing this thread

Back