Sennheiser CX 550 -or- Sony MDR EX500LP?
May 14, 2009 at 8:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

MuzeY

New Head-Fier
Hello all,

This is my first post here. Basically I'm looking for a new pair of IEMs. I've done a fair bit of research, and I believe I'm looking to buy one of the pairs. I was wondering if anyone had tried both pairs and could provide critique as to their sound qualities.. and possibly give your own preference.

While I think I'm interested in one of these two pairs; if you believe there is another quality pair for a similar price on the market, I'd appreciate suggestions.

Also, I'm aware that it's been said that the CX 550s are very similar to the CX 95s. So if this is your view and you choose to compare the CX 95s to the EX500LPs, that could also be helpful.

Cheers,
Cam

May 18, 2009 at 11:59 AM Post #2 of 34
Okay so that didn't work
normal_smile .gif

Instead, can anyone suggest the best in-ear earphones for me below $100? I'm a bit lost... I listen mostly to Rock (prog/alternative) and a little Pop. I like a good bit of bass, so long as I don't have to sacrifice mid or treble.

I had been looking at the Sennheiser CX 550 Style II and the Sony MDR-EX500LP, but I don't know anymore hah. I did also look at Shure SE210-N, but I've heard that the bass is somewhat lacking.

Any suggestions?

May 18, 2009 at 12:04 PM Post #3 of 34
id be inclined to go with the senn over the sony, ive got the ex500 and im not a huge fan as its just too warm. you prob wan to ignore the se210 its v dif from those two.

turbines maybe? not that ive heard them but they seem to get lots of love for that price

May 18, 2009 at 3:36 PM Post #4 of 34
Heya,

In what way is the Shure different? Is it the bass as I said or is there more to it?

I was thinking of going for the CX 550s yeah, but do you think these are around the best for that price given the kind of sound I'm looking for? (i.e. strong-ish bass but balanced)

Cheers

May 18, 2009 at 7:00 PM Post #8 of 34
Heya again,

Thank-you both for your advice.

Okay Mark, I understand what you're talking about now! By the way, you mentioned "turbines". Any chance of a link to those please? I can't seem to find them (or at least the pair I did find were well out-with that which I'd be prepared to pay). Are they actually available in the UK? (I see you're a fellow Scot)

Phil thanks a lot for introducing me to Jays - I'd never heard of them. I read that review and I'm pretty impressed with what was said of them and the price is reasonable. I also had a look at their website. If the sound is as it was described, then I'd definitely have to consider a paid of d-Jays.

I would certainly appreciate your impression of the d-Jays once you have them (always better to get a range of opinions).

Cheers

May 18, 2009 at 7:27 PM Post #9 of 34
Try searching for 'Monster Turbine'. They are one of the most popular bang for buck headphones here (normally priced at $150, sometimes less). I don't believe they are available in the UK yet but do check the FS forum.

May 18, 2009 at 8:22 PM Post #10 of 34
Okay ta, found a US company who'll ship a pair across, but the price of the shipping is far too high for me to even consider it. There doesn't seem to be a UK seller (yet). I find this a shame as the descriptions of the sound the Turbines produce seem to match what I'm looking for.

So I think now I'm looking at either the Senn CX 550 or the D-Jays, unless there are any others out there worth a look...

May 18, 2009 at 8:34 PM Post #11 of 34
hmm well just to say it my pet hate so forgive the rant but.....

if you dont say where u are and give a budget in us$ eeryone will assume ur in the us, *** what the hell is the problem in people saying what country they are in as prices can vary alot. grrrrr

but otherwise my default recommendation at that priceish would be klipsch custom 2 in the uk.

without having a better idea of what sound sig you want i think its very nicely balanced

May 18, 2009 at 9:14 PM Post #12 of 34
Well as I said in my first post, it was my first post here. Didn't see it as being very important.. had I known it was such a big deal I'm sure I'd have mentioned it.

Again, as I'm new to this I don't really think I know my "sound sig" very well, so far as to say the music I listen to and that I like a balanced sound with decent bass. Can't really tell you anything else. I'll have a look at the klipschs though, thanks.

May 19, 2009 at 3:53 PM Post #14 of 34
Ah it's alright man - guess it must be frustrating if it happens frequently.

At a bit of a dead end now.. I've had a look at all those suggested, and (unfortunately) I would really like to try out a pair of Monster Turbines. From what I've read from various source the sound is more-or-less what I think I'm after. I've sent an e-mail asking whether there are plans for a UK seller at some point in the future.
frown.gif

I'm also quite interested in the D-Jays, but I've heard that there are quite a few reliability problems.. especially concerning the cable which (apparently) fails in many cases. Of course the 2-year warranty is a reassurance.

The Klipsch Custom 2s... I've done a little reading up on them but to be honest, they just seem really boring. Are they maybe too 'balanced'? Not sure.. But everything I've read of the sound (including comments here) suggest they're "okay", and no more.

May 19, 2009 at 4:04 PM Post #15 of 34
I haven't tried the Turbines, but after having owned the CX550 for several weeks, I must say that "balanced sound with bass" describes the Senn's sound to a tee. I've had some trouble with the stock tips, but after using the eBay double flanges (link in Mark's sig), they sound very nice, though slightly on the warm side which I happen to prefer. I definitley recommend them, and I had to purchase them from the UK since they don't sell them here in the US.

You should also take a look at the Radiopaqs, though I haven't tried them myself. (There's a thread on these somewhere, but I can't find it at the moment.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back