Sennheiser CX 500: anyone tried them?
Dec 16, 2007 at 12:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

maxjensen

New Head-Fier
Hi all.

I've just ordered the new CX 500's for just over £40 (GBP).
I've got a pair of PX 100 and UE super.fi 3's.
I guess what I am looking for is the seal of the UE's but with the sound of the PX 100's (perhaps with some clarity from the UE's). I quite like Sennheiser's warm sound.

So I just wanted to know if any of you have had your hands on them...or even better...listened to them?

Merry xmas all!

Dec 16, 2007 at 1:08 PM Post #2 of 10
I bought the CX500 for my b/f and of course had to test them for myself
smily_headphones1.gif

They're definitely 'clearer' than the CX300s which can make them sound a bit cold when you compare them side by side. Vocals are much better with the 500s, treble is more detailed and the bass exists where only the bass exists (I found the 300s seemed to give bass when there isn't any!!).

If you paid £40, you got a good deal. I paid over £50 and I think they're a bit steep at that price level.

On a final note, if you like the warmth of the 300s, it might take time to get used to the brighter sound of the 500s. My b/f is only just coming to terms with the 'new' sound after 2 weeks of listening. They also come with loads of spare tips, the usual suspects plue another 3 pairs of what looks like double-layered tips.

Dec 16, 2007 at 1:19 PM Post #3 of 10
Thanks!!! Sounds like they could be a good 'blend' of the UE's and the PX 100's then. I got mine from mymemory.co.uk (Jersey). They are listed at £47.99 incl. VAT. (I get them without VAT in Denmark).

How would you compare them to the Shure SE210's you've got? I was just about to get the SE 210's when I found the Senns.

Thanks for your help
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 16, 2007 at 1:24 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by maxjensen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks!!! Sounds like they could be a good 'blend' of the UE's and the PX 100's then. I got mine from mymemory.co.uk (Jersey). They are listed at £47.99 incl. VAT. (I get them without VAT in Denmark).

How would you compare them to the Shure SE210's you've got? I was just about to get the SE 210's when I found the Senns.

Thanks for your help
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't have the 210s anymore, but I know the CX500s have more bass presence. I'm currently using the Denon AH-C700 but have also ordered the AH-C551 (which are almost the same price as the CX500s). So I'll be able to compare 2 sets at the same price level.

You definitely have to get used to the lack or warmth (if you're used to the CX300) but you get a lot of extra detail and a much clearer sound all round.

Dec 16, 2007 at 1:28 PM Post #5 of 10
Have you compared the CX500 side by side with the Denons? What are your thoughts?
biggrin.gif

Dec 16, 2007 at 1:34 PM Post #6 of 10
Thanks again
smily_headphones1.gif
Well, I've never tried any of Senn's IEMs. I just need some more bass than my super.fi 3 offer - esp. when being outside or on public transport. I am glad that they offer a lot of detail.

Sounds nice with all the DENONs! Are you happy with them?

Thanks again
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 16, 2007 at 1:42 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you compared the CX500 side by side with the Denons? What are your thoughts?
biggrin.gif

Hahahahahaha!!! Yes I did, there's no comparison. Maybe I'm used to the Denon sound which seems fuller than the new Senns. But the C700s cost more. The interesting test will be against the similarly priced C551s.

Dec 16, 2007 at 2:42 PM Post #8 of 10
my girlfriend still has the cx300 and i still cant even get her to try my se530 or any i own for that matter. i dont know if shes afraid of liking them so much she has to spend more money but shes been happy with the cx300 so i may get her the cx500 as a small extra prezzy for crimbo, they sound fairly decent

Dec 16, 2007 at 3:39 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my girlfriend still has the cx300 and i still cant even get her to try my se530 or any i own for that matter. i dont know if shes afraid of liking them so much she has to spend more money but shes been happy with the cx300 so i may get her the cx500 as a small extra prezzy for crimbo, they sound fairly decent

Huh?

EDIT: OH! A present for christmas. Why didn't you just say that instead?

And...sorry for killing your thread.

Dec 20, 2007 at 12:26 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by nylan8301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Huh?

EDIT: OH! A present for christmas. Why didn't you just say that instead?

I'm guessing because he's British and he's using local slang.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back