Sennheiser CX-300 quality problems
May 17, 2006 at 1:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

JamieBirkin

New Head-Fier
Hi-

I know that the Senn CX-300 only cost me around £32 ($65) but after owning them since February I am a little dissapointed that I have had to have new tips sent out to me (the rubber tips seem to have lost their shape and rigidity and as such I couldn't get a seal) and now the right channel has become far quieter than the left, leading me to suspect a fault with the inner speaker.

Has anyone else experienced build quality problems with these IEM's?

I have a pair of Sennheiser cans that my FATHER used in University when he was my age (they are 30 years old) that I still use on a regular basis, so this build quality problem with my CX-300's has shocked me a little.

Jamie (ps I'm using them with a Sony NW-A3000, unamped)

May 17, 2006 at 1:15 PM Post #2 of 8
try the left earphone in the right, and the right in the left. if the sound issue follows the earphone, get them fixed or whatever. if it doesn't, then it's the headphones telling you that you have a hearing problem...all of us have a loss on one of the sides, even if miniscule. some may be more prominent than others tho. also, the seal is crucial. each ear canal is different as well.

true with all headphones...but IEMs will really really really reveal it

May 17, 2006 at 1:26 PM Post #3 of 8
Don't worry, I thought "that's just what I need, to go deaf in one ear" but I checked the speaker in both ears and the R channel is far quieter in both. I tried using my mate's Sony IEM's and the balance was fine through them.

I'm just frustrated as I don't know how long Sennheiser will take to get me a new pair (it took them two WEEKS to get me replacement tips).

Jamie

May 17, 2006 at 1:48 PM Post #4 of 8
Some members reported similar problems, coused by earwax sealing the mesh that covers the driver.

Did you check this already?

May 17, 2006 at 1:57 PM Post #5 of 8
Yeah, I checked- I think it must be broken as it happened pretty much overnight, I have checked the grilles and cleaned them, but the reduction in sound is pretty dramatic. I use the larger tips and to be honest the grilles don't get very dirty at all. I think it is going to be a case of posting them back to Sennheiser. I was going to take them travelling with me, but my confidence in them has been shaken a little, maybe I will try a different IEM, perhaps Etymotic or Westone (trouble is, they are 3x the price!)

Jamie

May 17, 2006 at 3:33 PM Post #6 of 8
I don't have the cx300 but I have had to send back 2 pairs of ep630's due to one channel losing volume compared to the other

May 17, 2006 at 5:49 PM Post #7 of 8
Ah, that doesn't bode well. They are pretty much the same headphones after all. At least Sennheiser will give me a replacement pair. If they go again, I think I'll just buy some Ety Er6i's!
rolleyes.gif

Cheers for the help, J

May 30, 2006 at 12:48 PM Post #8 of 8
Received my replacement CX-300's in the post yesterday, only took Sennheiser a week and a bit to analyse them (dead) and replace them with a new pair. I just hope that this set doesn't go kaput. J

Users who are viewing this thread

Back