Sennheiser CX 300 IEM (a personal review)
Sep 4, 2008 at 7:40 AM Post #542 of 554
Quote:

Originally Posted by dranoel4190 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
anyone already got these cx300 with the new packaging??

cx300newpackagegt4.jpg

I realize this was posted over a year ago but I have to say this: My CX-300 came in the mail, today, and they were a pain in the ASS to open! They printed some nice instructions inside the cardboard bit but I couldn't read it as I ended up destroying the whole damn package to get the f-ing headphones out. Seriously, they could have done the packing better. I saw a picture of the old style, it looked much more manageable.

Aside from that, the headphones sound great!

Feb 2, 2009 at 11:59 PM Post #543 of 554
The packaging was definitely hard to open but I managed. These do have the cable noise but I bet that is easily quieted with an alligator clip. The Bass is a bit much but I ain't complaining. The ER6i definitely has more detail but I don't need to increase the volume of my cd player to get the same bass as the CX300. I enjoy listening to my tracks with AVLS on. I am 6' feet tall and the medium tips seem to have a good fit.

The isolation is plenty enough for me as well. Sitting on the bus, you hear faint motor/engine noises, when your music is off and you are wearing the CX300. When the music is on, the isolation is good.

There is more I wanted to say but I forgot.

These are definitely a huge improvement over the ipod stock earbuds. I don't get distracted and the highs are not muffled. But this improvement is obviously to be expected.

CX300 also do look more durable than the ER6i. With the ER6 I had to increase the volumes to 80% to get enough bass for my liking. With the CX300, I can keep my CD player down to 40%.

Feb 3, 2009 at 12:54 AM Post #544 of 554
Quote:

Originally Posted by Usama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The packaging was definitely hard to open but I managed. These do have the cable noise but I bet that is easily quieted with an alligator clip. The Bass is a bit much but I ain't complaining. The ER6i definitely has more detail but I don't need to increase the volume of my cd player to get the same bass as the CX300. I enjoy listening to my tracks with AVLS on. I am 6' feet tall and the medium tips seem to have a good fit.

The isolation is plenty enough for me as well. Sitting on the bus, you hear faint motor/engine noises, when your music is off and you are wearing the CX300. When the music is on, the isolation is good.

There is more I wanted to say but I forgot.

These are definitely a huge improvement over the ipod stock earbuds. I don't get distracted and the highs are not muffled. But this improvement is obviously to be expected.

CX300 also do look more durable than the ER6i. With the ER6 I had to increase the volumes to 80% to get enough bass for my liking. With the CX300, I can keep my CD player down to 40%.

The CX300's BASS is bloated, muddy and artificial...

Feb 3, 2009 at 1:49 AM Post #545 of 554
Quote:

Originally Posted by VoLTaG3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The CX300's BASS is bloated, muddy and artificial...

Works for me, bro.
wink_face.gif
Especially at 50$ USD. Also I think it depends on how you are listening because the bass is bloated and muddy, yes. But these need stereo because mono sucks on the CX300.

I would take bloated and muddy bass over the small and tiny bass of the ER6i, any day. But that is my preference. Whatever makes you happy, right?

Feb 3, 2009 at 2:08 AM Post #546 of 554
Quote:

Originally Posted by Usama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Works for me, bro.
wink_face.gif
Especially at 50$ USD. Also I think it depends on how you are listening because the bass is bloated and muddy, yes. But these need stereo because mono sucks on the CX300.

I would take bloated and muddy bass over the small and tiny bass of the ER6i, any day. But that is my preference. Whatever makes you happy, right?

Yep!
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 3, 2009 at 8:46 PM Post #549 of 554
i like these headphones for hard use at the gym and sometimes take them when i fly. they are cheap, sound ok when you're not at home and if they get messed up then i'll just buy another pair.

as much abuse as they take at the gym and flying my set is still in working condition, go figure.

Feb 3, 2009 at 9:13 PM Post #550 of 554
I am waiting for the burn-in to change it. Otherwise, I may exchange them for the CX500 for about $25 USD more.

I still like the isolation. I wish they were a bit more sparkly, I think that is the correct term. But I think the problem is that I am listening to 112KB bitrate radio shows from Vinylmorpher. Maybe I need higher bitrate?

Actually, it sound much better with the equalizer and clearbass off.

Mar 25, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #552 of 554
MY REVIEW:

I got these on newegg at the discounted price of $19.99  Got them in the mail and have mixed feelings.

They do a great job of blocking outside noise.   Their sound quality is not the worst I have heard, but worth not 1 penny more than the $19.99 I paid.

The highs are flat and weak.  The mids are strong and clear on a track without much bass.  But the lows are WAY overpowered, bloated and bleeds all over the entire track.

The first song I listened to was a vocal dominated track with little bass and my initial impression was "Hey, not bad...but a little weak". The next song on the same album featured more bass and my impression changed immediately.  Once nice mids were muddled.  Not only were they overpowered by the bass but the bass sounded bad.

If these cost more I would return them (and I may still).

I would be happy if I had paid $10.  I've definitely bought better sounding buds from Walmart for $15.

The noise isolation is good.  If I keep these at all it will be to use them cutting grass.

VS. Sennheiser CX 150

I also bought the CX 150s the same day on newegg for $12.99

$7 cheaper and worth 3 times as much imo.

The bass is still a bit much but sounds better, more refined.  I don't feel like I'm drowning in muddled bass.

They don't seal out noise quiet as well, but they do seal out some.

I think I will be keeping these at the lower price and return the CX 301s.

May 10, 2013 at 4:22 AM Post #553 of 554
I have had these for a while now. I feel I overpaid. I live in Israel so all things audio are generally overpriced, but even then, having paid the equivalent of $56, not enough bang for the buck.

I had the AKG K321 for a while ($64), which I lent to my brother, and ended up saying "f-k it, keep 'em" not wanting to use iems at the time. They sounded better, more balanced. The cable though, was on the flimsy side, which can't be said about the senns. (that being said, my brother is a serial earphone wrecker, and they have lasted about a year and half so far).

Overall it's been a weird experience with these senns. On the iPod they work okay, and since they are used mainly for bike hikes where sound quality isn't paramount it's okay. There J-design wires are nice for not getting the wire in the handlebars.
The sound form the iPod nano 2nd gen, is acceptable. The base is a bit iffy, and the highs a bit sibilant, but not so much that I can say these are bad earphones.
HOWEVER, when plugged into the computer, an onboard [size=9pt]Realtek ALC662-GR (not great but okay), but the sound which is fine on senn hd25's, skullcandy aviators [/size](sorry)[size=9pt], marshall majors, and the akg k321's just goes all over the place. The bass is terrible, sort of dominant and recessed at the same time, the mids really over-run everything and the highs just aren't there. This is to such an extent that if I could choose between that and silence, silence would win. You just can't enjoy your music this way.[/size]

[size=9pt]I don't know why there is such disparity between the two outlets. There are differences between them with every headphone, but the laptop is usually a bit of an improvement, and not a major difference by any account. with the cx-100's though, it is a MASSIVE difference. I don't get it.[/size]

Sep 12, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #554 of 554
After testing bunch of iems Sennheiser CX 300's are definitely overpriced and not worth the purchase. Maybe for durability, but their sound quality does not even match much cheaper philips 3580s. These CX300s currently go for 35 on Amazon, with retail msrp of 70. Do not kid yourself guys, even the Monoprice iems that were talked about in the forums is a few classes ahead of these. I had these for a while, and did not listen to them for almost 2 years, now after hearing cheapos with amazing sounds, these definitely are disappointment. Good thing I paid a lot less than the 35 they are asking these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back