Sennheiser CX 300 IEM (a personal review)
Feb 15, 2006 at 8:01 PM Post #91 of 554
Quote:

Originally Posted by Goose
From that CNET article:
" The Sennheiser CX 300's construction quality exceeds that of most earbuds, and the soft and flexible Y cable is a good length at 49 inches."

So, do they have a "J" design or a "Y" design?
I'm still waiting on Amazon to deliver my set........luckily I got in before they went to $70!!
biggrin.gif
$40 is a much better price!

Leave it to cnet to screw something up, it has a J design.

biggrin.gif
wait till u hear them, much more bass then the pannys, jvc's

40 bucks was a steal.................

Feb 15, 2006 at 8:23 PM Post #92 of 554
Quote:

Originally Posted by sportsnut
Leave it to cnet to screw something up, it has a J design.

biggrin.gif
wait till u hear them, much more bass then the pannys, jvc's

40 bucks was a steal.................

How does the "J" design work exactly, I've only had "Y" types...

Well UPS Just delieverd them. Yes $40 bucks was a steal, I'm glad I jumped on it when I did. But only would have known about them from being on here alot and reading alot.

They are small. Hope they sound good.

Feb 15, 2006 at 8:36 PM Post #93 of 554
Quote:

Originally Posted by Goose
How does the "J" design work exactly, I've only had "Y" types...

Well UPS is suppose to deliever them today, and Yes $40 bucks was a steal, I'm glad I jumped on it when I did. But only would have known about them from being on here alot and reading alot.

Left bud in ear, cord around back of neck and into right ear.

LOL, notice cnet compared it against the etys at 100 bucks

Feb 15, 2006 at 8:50 PM Post #95 of 554
Quote:

Originally Posted by sportsnut
Left bud in ear, cord around back of neck and into right ear.

LOL, notice cnet compared it against the etys at 100 bucks

They sound nice, better than the crap my mp3 player came with. Ya, took me all of 2 seconds to figure that one out! I've not had any IEM's more expensive than these, so I can't compare anything expecially those that are alot more money. Good to know that they are in good company tho.

Feb 16, 2006 at 2:10 AM Post #97 of 554
Just received mine from Amazon today. My first 2 minutes I thought, "Oh, crap! I'm not gonna be able to live with the boomy, hip-hop bass on these things!". After about two hours, don't know if they were settling in, or I got used to them, but they sounded much better. Everything from AC/DC Live, to Andreas Vollenweider to Symphonie Fantastique, to Santa Clara Vanguard started to come together.

Out of curiousity, I decided to throw something at it with quite a bit of contrabass......namely, Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age from The Planets. There's a part in there (around 7 mintues) where the bass is so low, you'd swear it should be inaudible. The cx300's were able to reproduce the lowest notes quite audibly, even if just a bit muddy.

This being my first pair of iem's and having listened to a friend's super.fi 3's a week earlier, I'm convinced, for the moment, that I made the right decision. They're much smoother than I imagined them to be and seem to be fairly even across the audio range while creating a very decent soundstage. Make no mistake, they won't replace my Senn 595's, but they'll easily deliver when critical listening is not prerequisite.

Oh, and a big Thanks to Vis for his review. That served to help make my final decison to purchase these (before the rates went up!).

Feb 16, 2006 at 3:02 AM Post #99 of 554
I am sorry , but I do not thing it's really relevant, being too completly different ways of producing the music.

Nobody is never going to say they prefer one or the other. It depends of the conditions.
If you do not need the isolation, I think the PX100 are better, less 'inside your head'.
If you need hyper details, IMHO, the IEM will give it to you (my first IEM, read other post in this threead), but you sacrifice sound stage, you sacrifice the 'natural' aspect, having something in your ears is not natural even if it is confortable.

my 2 cents :)

Feb 16, 2006 at 3:23 AM Post #100 of 554
The reason I am asking for a cx vs px is because I have heard the PX. I am familiar with its sound qualities or lack thereof hehe. I want to have a basis before I shell out for the CX. They don't allow auditions here.

Feb 16, 2006 at 4:19 AM Post #101 of 554
I have to thank Visigodo for his review. Based on his review, I purchased the CX-300's from amazon @ $40. They came in today.

These sound great! I ride a motorcycle daily and was looking for something to block out the wind yet provide me with some riding music. These will do very nicely! I'll try them out tomorrow to ensure that I can hear emergency vehicles...

The CX-300's block ambient noise VERY well. They reproduce the bass very well. Super comfortable to wear. I've run into the "muddy bass" yet.

With about 3hr break in and 1hr of listening, I am very happy. Thanks Visigodo!

Feb 16, 2006 at 7:35 AM Post #102 of 554
I have both the MD33 and CX300. The MD33 comes with the four pole plug which I have modded with a solder bridge. The normal MD33 cord is short but not as short at the EX71. The CX300 comes with a much longer cord. The main noticeable differences between the MD33 and CX300 are the cord material and plug angle. The MD33 uses a harder smoother material and comes with a straight plug. The CX300 uses a firm but slightly rubbery material and comes with a right angle plug.

My initial listening tests do not show a significant difference but then again I like these phones more than my Shure E3s in terms of comfort and bass.

Feb 16, 2006 at 11:04 AM Post #103 of 554
Quote:

Originally Posted by IpaqMan
My initial listening tests do not show a significant difference but then again I like these phones more than my Shure E3s in terms of comfort and bass.

So am i right to say there isn't significant difference for sound quality wise between the MD33 and CX300?

I really think the CX300 is very similar to a EP630 based on the descriptions here.
tongue.gif
The Creatives have a thin, soft and rubbery cord.

Maybe all 3 are similar!

Feb 16, 2006 at 3:11 PM Post #104 of 554
My listening tests are to be taken with a grain of salt since I have 57 year old ears and can barely distinguish EX70s and EX71s. I do know that I like Sony E888s the best of all of my earbuds but they are too fragile.

In any case, I can't see any physical difference between the CX300 earbud and the MD33S earbud except for the logo.

However, I do like the CX300 cabling (material and construction) better. The price is better, too, at $39 shipped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back