Sennheiser Comparison: Momentums OVER EARs VS Amperiors VS Momentum ON EARS
Aug 20, 2014 at 10:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Tom22

Headphoneus Supremus
i frequently see many people in these forums interested in these headphones! and wondering which they should get? 

I hope i can answer those questions with this Review, if you have any other questions be sure to post in the thread below! i'll do my best to answer any and all questions!! And please if you have experience with any of these headphones feel free to share your thoughts 

If these videos interest you, hit the Like button and subscribe for more videos in the future. If you didn't like it tell me what i can do to improve! I will take all feedback, positive and negative to make the channel better!

I had split the comparison review up into two parts: 

Also, i have full reviews of each of the headphones on my youtube channel so be sure to check out a MORE INDEPTH analysis on each headphone.

The first video covers Design, Build Quality, Comfort& Weight, Isolation & Portability

the second video is Specifically on Sound Quality

I have also compared the Momentum OVER EAR VS the Momentum On Ear in two videos:

1st video is a Quick comparsion

This is the sound quality comparison between the Mometum Over Ear Vs Mometum On Ear

I will update this thread with the Momentum On Ear Vs Amperiors comparsion video asap!

UPDATE!
here is the MOE VS Amperior Comparison video

Aug 20, 2014 at 11:09 PM Post #2 of 23
Thanks for creating this thread, Tom! 
wink_face.gif

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Aug 20, 2014 at 11:21 PM Post #3 of 23
Hey, very interesting.

I have yet to actually unpack my on ears, but listen to the over ears and Amperiors quite extensively. Will add my take in a bit :)

Thanks,
K

Aug 24, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #6 of 23
Gents,
I recently got some Momentums after my ancient old Denon AH-D1000's started to finally fall apart. Overall I think they are really great, especially at the price point I was looking for. I have a couple of questions about fit and sound detail observations:

1. I have noticed just a tiny pinch better sound quality when I actually tuck my earlobes into the earcups. As with others, my ears a just a little too small for the earcups to fit naturally over them. Has anyone else heard this, or am I just nutty?

2. With some recordings that have a transition of sound from ear to ear, and it seems like the sound is coming from behind my head. Is this normal for all earphones? I've never noticed it with my old Denons.

I'm really not trying to be too picky, just some observations after using them for quite a bit since I got them. Thanks!

...very well done review by the way!

Aug 24, 2014 at 10:42 PM Post #7 of 23
Gents,
I recently got some Momentums after my ancient old Denon AH-D1000's started to finally fall apart. Overall I think they are really great, especially at the price point I was looking for. I have a couple of questions about fit and sound detail observations:

1. I have noticed just a tiny pinch better sound quality when I actually tuck my earlobes into the earcups. As with others, my ears a just a little too small for the earcups to fit naturally over them. Has anyone else heard this, or am I just nutty?

2. With some recordings that have a transition of sound from ear to ear, and it seems like the sound is coming from behind my head. Is this normal for all earphones? I've never noticed it with my old Denons.

I'm really not trying to be too picky, just some observations after using them for quite a bit since I got them. Thanks!

...very well done review by the way!

thank you!

for your 1st question: may i ask if the your ears fit inside the momentums without discomfort?? like i mean your entire ear? without fiddling around? if your ears are small the momentums should be perfect! as it would completely encircle your ear (being that its intended circumaural headphones)

for your 2nd question, did you have this issue with any other earphones/headphones? aside from your momentums and denons? 

Aug 25, 2014 at 1:28 PM Post #8 of 23
  thank you!

for your 1st question: may i ask if the your ears fit inside the momentums without discomfort?? like i mean your entire ear? without fiddling around? if your ears are small the momentums should be perfect! as it would completely encircle your ear (being that its intended circumaural headphones)

for your 2nd question, did you have this issue with any other earphones/headphones? aside from your momentums and denons?

Tom,

My ears fit inside if I maneuver the cups around a little and poke my earlobe into the bottom rather than have the bottom of the ear cup resting on the bottom part of my earlobe.  There isn't really much discomfort either way except after every hour or two where I'll just move the 'phones around a little and all is well.

It seems like the SQ is just the tiniest bit better with a better seal after my ears are tucked all the way inside (not a surprise I suppose...).  As I think about my question, I assumed that everyone's earlobe never really quite fit in, and I am sure I have pretty average ears.

I've never really experienced the "behind the head" sensation that I occasionally hear with these, but it could be because the earphones are new to me and I am paying more attention to them after having my Denons since 2008.  I was just wondering if this a normal sensation.  It happens whether I am hooked directly into the iPad 4, iPod Touch 5, or through my Total BitHead with either.

Thanks very much, John.

Aug 25, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #9 of 23

Tom,

My ears fit inside if I maneuver the cups around a little and poke my earlobe into the bottom rather than have the bottom of the ear cup resting on the bottom part of my earlobe.  There isn't really much discomfort either way except after every hour or two where I'll just move the 'phones around a little and all is well.

It seems like the SQ is just the tiniest bit better with a better seal after my ears are tucked all the way inside (not a surprise I suppose...).  As I think about my question, I assumed that everyone's earlobe never really quite fit in, and I am sure I have pretty average ears.

I've never really experienced the "behind the head" sensation that I occasionally hear with these, but it could be because the earphones are new to me and I am paying more attention to them after having my Denons since 2008.  I was just wondering if this a normal sensation.  It happens whether I am hooked directly into the iPad 4, iPod Touch 5, or through my Total BitHead with either.

Thanks very much, John.

oddly enough my ears fit inside without fiddling around. so its normal for it to sound better if your ears fit in (all of your ear).

for your second question, i think your experiencing the wide 3D soundstage, where sounds surround you from all directions. i think the momentums do that very well! thats the one aspect i think the momentum over ears just exceed both the on ears and the amperiors.

Aug 30, 2014 at 9:23 PM Post #10 of 23
just updated the thread! with my comparison video between the MOE vs the amperiors!!!

i wish sennheiser would bring back the amperiors as its just a magical headphone! but at the current discounted price, its really a killer!

Sep 16, 2014 at 7:59 AM Post #12 of 23
  What would be good to see is an Amperior vs Momentum Over ear. Any chance of that?

My take:

Luckily I have a few of them: Emperor, Momentum, MOE, HD25-1 (original not II)

The Emperor has more push in the bass region, punchier. Momentum has touch more mids and is more balanced. Since I recently listen to a lot of EDM again, I must say I prefer the Amperior - by a slight margin, is more fun with EDM. Momentum has the slightly larger soundstage (forgot to mention).

Cheers!

PS: As Mister Sennheiser told us: Momentum = Over ear, MOE = on ear

Sep 16, 2014 at 9:49 AM Post #13 of 23
Cool take.... on the Amperiors vs Momentum Over Ear. Suspect your spell check converted "Amperior" to "Emperor".

Unless that's the new nickname we're giving to Amperiors - "the Emperor" :) Humm...now that I say it, it sounds kinda cool. "I'm wearing Emperors"

Sep 16, 2014 at 9:51 AM Post #14 of 23
  Cool take.... on the Amperiors vs Momentum Over Ear. Suspect your spell check converted "Amperior" to "Emperor".

Unless that's the new nickname we're giving to Amperiors - "the Emperor" :) Humm...now that I say it, it sounds kinda cool. "I'm wearing Emperors"

LOOOL yes indeed - I hate autocorrect arrrgh.

Sep 17, 2014 at 9:53 PM Post #15 of 23
  What would be good to see is an Amperior vs Momentum Over ear. Any chance of that?

i don't know why i didn't do that before.... unfortunately only the amperiors are with me now.  

The Momentums from memory (not the most accurate so take this with a grain of salt)

had more bass (both subbass and midbass, and deeper bass too (reaches lower) a thicker lower midrange and its more rolled off an polite in the treble yes it does have a much much wider soundstage both in depth and width

the amperiors do have a tighter bass, more punch to the midbass, a thinner midrange, especially for female vocals. and a much more aggressive in the treble that can be fatiguing if your listening over 1.5- 2 hours at time.

the momentums i find in terms of sound has a wider appeal (its easy going, its quick enough for many faster genres like edm and dubstep, but can take it down a notch for more mellow music).

the amperiors are more genre specific i find to edm, pop, rock where excitement and energy is key

overall though i would say the momentums have more appeal again, its classier looking, its more comfortable (because its around ear) (provided your ears fit of course) (it has a very light clamping force, nowhere near as much as the amperiors) its just as isolating or more > amperior. 

hope that helps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back