Sennheiser Amperior Review
Jul 19, 2013 at 3:21 AM Post #16 of 20
Comfort
The headphone being fairly small, mostly plastic and aluminium makes them very light so your neck muscles won't hurt.
Getting an initial good seal can be a bit troublesome at first but once you get it, it feels very secure. It has a very firm fit, I wouldn't say it's overly tight that it'd give you headaches, but it is tight enough such that you can head bang all you want and it won't fall off.

If you wear glasses, depending on the type of glasses you might want to avoid these.
To wear the headphones, you have to take your glasses off before putting the headphones on. Since your ears would then be squished, your glasses' frames would just rest on your ears rather than hook around it like usual,it feels odd at first and It just adds to the discomfort. It's not a big issue but it's there.
Without glasses however, the comfort is far better simply because there is not the need to adjust the glasses when wearing the headphones.

The amperior comes with velour pads that feels very nice on the ears, it heats up less than leather pads do and doesn't cause sweating. But due to the firm clamping force and the fact that it's on ear means there isn't much breathing your ears can do and would cause your ears to feel hot after a while. I find that after wearing it for an hour or so, I usually take it off for about 30 seconds / 1 minute to let my ears cool down and rest. This is not something you can wear and forget they're on, the clamping force is there and you will feel it for sure ! It's not too tight but it's just there. I also wouldn't wear this in summer cause i'd be really irritated if I had this on in addition to the Australian summer temperature that can reach 40 degrees celcius +.

The headband on the amperior can be split into two which allows for a more secure / comfortable fit, it's certainly a positive addition.
The headband also has velour pads like the ear pads. When worn, I can't feel the headband at all.

An additional gimmick that the amperior has is the rotatable left earcup. This is definitely a plus but is not as good as the DT1350 that has rotatable ear cups on both sides.
With the earcups swung back, the amperior still stays on nice and firmly which is rather nice.

Overall there are +s and -s when it comes to comfort with this headphone but it's not purely uncomfortable nor as comfy as superaural headphones.
I'd give it an overall
Score : 7/10

I don't doubt that the reviewer may have comfort issues but you cannot generalise that all glasses wearers are likely to have issues. We all have far too many variables in types of glasses, head and ear size etc for comfort ratings to have much relevance in any review. Also, I am mystified by that last sentence. These ARE supra-aural headphones! If Amperiors fit around your ears, you must have very small ears.

In my case, as glasses wearer, I find my Amperiors very comfortable for long periods of wear. The headband relaxes with wear and I definitely do not need to remove my glasses either before putting them on nor do I find the headphones pinch my ears against my glasses. And I neither find the clamping too tight nor cause headaches.

Also, I have never had fit or seal problems with my Amperiors whereas I could never get DT-1350s to seal properly. Different strokes I guess.

I add these comments only to point out some people will not have the same comfort issues as the reviewer and in fact find them very comfortable as I do and many users of HD25s have done for around 25years now.

Jul 19, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #17 of 20
I don't doubt that the reviewer may have comfort issues but you cannot generalise that all glasses wearers are likely to have issues. We all have far too many variables in types of glasses, head and ear size etc for comfort ratings to have much relevance in any review. Also, I am mystified by that last sentence. These ARE supra-aural headphones! If Amperiors fit around your ears, you must have very small ears.

In my case, as glasses wearer, I find my Amperiors very comfortable for long periods of wear. The headband relaxes with wear and I definitely do not need to remove my glasses either before putting them on nor do I find the headphones pinch my ears against my glasses. And I neither find the clamping too tight nor cause headaches.

Also, I have never had fit or seal problems with my Amperiors whereas I could never get DT-1350s to seal properly. Different strokes I guess.

I add these comments only to point out some people will not have the same comfort issues as the reviewer and in fact find them very comfortable as I do and many users of HD25s have done for around 25years now.

Sorry i think there's a very slight misunderstanding
I did say it depends on the type of glasses

"If you wear glasses, depending on the type of glasses you might want to avoid these."

Also the fact that the amperior does not fit everyone, ie. me, gave it less score than it might've got if it did fit everyone.
This is the same issue with momentums; it fits well on me but not on other people with bigger ears and hence it has less points when it comes to fit and comfort.

I also said that, the amperior is not as comfortable when compared with superaurals. (I did not say that the amperior is a superaural, I'm aware that it's supraaural.

"Overall there are +s and -s when it comes to comfort with this headphone but it's not purely uncomfortable nor as comfy as superaural headphones."

I hope it clarifies things a bit

Jul 20, 2013 at 3:29 AM Post #18 of 20
Possibly... Would it not be better to warn glasses wearers to audition them rather than suggest they may wish to avoid them?

And don't you think you should qualify your comfort issue by telling readers your relative ear size, since you have since qualified that your discomfort may be related to your particular ear size? As you say Momentums do have comfort issues for people with larger ears, mine included, but the Amperiors are just fine for me. All the more reason to validate negative comments if there are specific reasons to make them.

It seems you used the term superaural referring to circumaural or over the ear. I am sure I am not the only one confused by your use of superaural which I have only seen used as an alternate to supra-aural.

Please don't be offended by my comments. I am just trying to help you and other readers of your review get the balance correct. You wrote a comprehensive review which in the most part I agree with but I think all reviewers have a responsibility to ensure personal preferences are revealed and may affect scores, seeing as you gave them. :wink:

Jul 20, 2013 at 5:24 AM Post #19 of 20
Possibly... Would it not be better to warn glasses wearers to audition them rather than suggest they may wish to avoid them?

And don't you think you should qualify your comfort issue by telling readers your relative ear size, since you have since qualified that your discomfort may be related to your particular ear size? As you say Momentums do have comfort issues for people with larger ears, mine included, but the Amperiors are just fine for me. All the more reason to validate negative comments if there are specific reasons to make them.

It seems you used the term superaural referring to circumaural or over the ear. I am sure I am not the only one confused by your use of superaural which I have only seen used as an alternate to supra-aural.

Please don't be offended by my comments. I am just trying to help you and other readers of your review get the balance correct. You wrote a comprehensive review which in the most part I agree with but I think all reviewers have a responsibility to ensure personal preferences are revealed and may affect scores, seeing as you gave them. :wink:

No offence taken :)
I admit my mistakes, and I've fixed the wordings in the review !
Thank you for your comments.

Feb 28, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #20 of 20
Hey guys, I've been on head-fi for ages but I haven't posted much and I haven't posted one single proper review. I've just been reading most of the time. So here's my first one, it's the Sennheiser Amperior in silver colour.
I got this headphone recently and I'll try to post in the most unbiased manner.

Accessories
wow i thought my AKG K271 mk ii came with little accessories but this came with less
for a "street style" headphone i expected a bit more....
It came with well... the headphones, and two cables. one with and another without iphone remote control.
No hard case despite the gigantic box size. No carrying pouch. No spare ear pads.

Score : 4/10

Build Quality
The headphone is mostly plastic which is quite disappointing (compared to something like DT1350) but feels relatively sturdy unlike the fragile CAL!. An exception can be made for the earcups which are made of aluminium which are also the thing that sets them differently when it comes to build quality from the HD-25s. The part that hangs down to allow the earcups to be moved up and down seems somewhat thin compared to the plastic at the headband and personally I'm rather worried that this might break easily.

The amperior also has cables exposed on top of the ear cups which can also be a bad thing.
(Example scenario : you put the amperior in your bag along with other objects, the cable gets caught without you noticing and you pull the headphone out. Result : damaged cable
frown.gif
)

The amperior itself has a short 25/30 cm cable that is fairly thick and seem very durable.

It also comes with 2 cables that are about 1 meter long, one with iphone remote and the other one without which attaches to the thicker cable via 3.5 mm female jack. The two cables are much much thinner and seem fragile like a borderline IEM cable. This is clearly a minus point.
As seen in the picture below, the cables are (from top to bottom) fxz100, amperior's extension, cable straight out of amperior. You can see that the extension cable is the thinnest. The fxz seem to have the same thickness but is actually thicker. It seems to be the same size because of the distance between the two.

The jacks however seem high quality at all ends. The terminating right angle jack on the thinner cable also has sufficient strain relief.

Also, a thing to note is that the cable is attached to the right side instead of the usual left. This has no significance to me but some might find it interesting.

Score : 7.4/10

Comfort
The headphone being fairly small, mostly plastic and aluminium makes them very light so your neck muscles won't hurt.
Getting an initial good seal can be a bit troublesome at first but once you get it, it feels very secure. It has a very firm fit, I wouldn't say it's overly tight that it'd give you headaches, but it is tight enough such that you can head bang all you want and it won't fall off.

If you wear glasses, depending on the type of glasses you might want to avoid these.
To wear the headphones, you have to take your glasses off before putting the headphones on. Since your ears would then be squished, your glasses' frames would just rest on your ears rather than hook around it like usual,it feels odd at first and It just adds to the discomfort. It's not a big issue but it's there.
Without glasses however, the comfort is far better simply because there is not the need to adjust the glasses when wearing the headphones.

The amperior comes with velour pads that feels very nice on the ears, it heats up less than leather pads do and doesn't cause sweating. But due to the firm clamping force and the fact that it's on ear means there isn't much breathing your ears can do and would cause your ears to feel hot after a while. I find that after wearing it for an hour or so, I usually take it off for about 30 seconds / 1 minute to let my ears cool down and rest. This is not something you can wear and forget they're on, the clamping force is there and you will feel it for sure ! It's not too tight but it's just there. I also wouldn't wear this in summer cause i'd be really irritated if I had this on in addition to the Australian summer temperature that can reach 40 degrees celcius +.

The headband on the amperior can be split into two which allows for a more secure / comfortable fit, it's certainly a positive addition.
The headband also has velour pads like the ear pads. When worn, I can't feel the headband at all.

An additional gimmick that the amperior has is the rotatable left earcup. This is definitely a plus but is not as good as the DT1350 that has rotatable ear cups on both sides.
With the earcups swung back, the amperior still stays on nice and firmly which is rather nice.

Overall there are +s and -s when it comes to comfort with this headphone but it's not purely uncomfortable nor as comfy as circumaural headphones.
The best way to decide if this is the headphone for you or not would be to personally audition them like I did.
The fact that the headphones don't suit everyone gave it less score than some might prefer.
I'd give it an overall
Score : 7/10

Isolation & Sound Leak

It's storming outside and my sister is chatting with her husband about 3 meters from me and i can't hear them at all
However i can hear my phone when it rings next to me just slightly. Very good isolation!

Score 9.5/10

I can't tell you how many decibels exactly but it's nowhere near 0 leakage. But it's obviously not as bad as an open back headphone.
At moderate volume with the addition of the storm outisde as background noise, i can hear the words and some of the instruments from 1 meter of the worn headphone.
But i think i listen to music fairly loud so, if i take it down to what i consider to be quieter / more moredarte, I can still hear the music but only whispers of the vocals (can't make up the words said), I honestly think that it won't bother people when you're commuting ie. in the bus or train.

Score : 8.0/10

Microphonics
Can only hear the cable noise if you really tap on it / if the thicker cable hits something. Even then, not much cable noise is present.
Score : 9.5/10

Sound quality
This is where the amperior really shines and this is the reason why I bought the amperior in the first place. It is simply amazing !
At first I wasn't impressed but that was due to improper fit. Once I got the right fit, WOW i was impressed !
Originally I bought this just to audition it and would return it before the 2 week return policy is up but i'm considering to keep this now.
Yes I haven't had much time with this headphones but damn it's sound quality alone is damn impressive.
I think that the overall tone of the headphone would be considered to be fairly warm.
It has a soundstage that's pretty amazing for its size but obviously much less than any open back headphone.

It may give detail that you haven't heard before from your favourite tracks if you step up from low end headphones but it's not as revealing as reference style headphones.
It is pretty forgiving with most audio tracks as well, making it suitable for the general market.

Bass: It reaches down low down to the 20Hz range. You can really feel it rumble when it calls for it. What's nice is that the bass is nice and controlled, it's there when the track calls for it but won't add unnecessary boom when it's uncalled for. The bass is also tight and has what i consider to be ideal when it comes to extension and decay. The bass also do not leak into the mids unlike something cheap headphones / beats solo hds are known for. It does however lacks a bit when it comes to detail because of its strong presence. Perhaps if you're looking for something more analytical this might not be for you but for the average audiophile, average listeners and bassheads, this has a really really nice bass.

Mids: The mids the mids the mids ! The mids are great ! They are detailed and clear, although i prefer the mids in the momentum, I think the amperior has terrific mids. It's not overwhelmed by the bass and is not too forward nor far. Male vocals sound warm and smooth. I personally don't listen to much female vocals but to my ears they seem unaltered (they're not shifted to the lower end of the FR).

Highs: It does not sparkle as much as some people might like. To me they're ideal, it's smooth and non-sibilant. (there are people out there who say they are sibilant though). Obviously different preferences but it's something to note. To me the highs will not WOW you and make it a reason for you to buy one of this.
It is, something that won't cause you problems though. It slightly lacks its presence when compared with the rest of the spectrum but it's not veiled or anything.

Overall, honestly for a closed on-ears, i haven't heard anything better.
Score : 9/10

Conclusion
Honestly I think the amperior is a fantastic headphone, it is something worth trying really. The only issue is that you can't wear it for too long. The sound quality is just amazing. I am not great with words so i can't describe the sound very well and I don't own many headphones ( I've tried plenty) but I can assure you that the sound quality is above average.
It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but that's with everything. There isn't one product that will satisfy everyone, but nevertheless, this headphone is worth a shot.
The sound quality is certainly what sold the headphone to me.
redface.gif

Oh one thing i nearly forgot to say, they're damn stylish
wink.gif

Lastly I apologize firstly for the damn long review and if there are any mistakes with my English or anything I said in general . English is not my first language so please bear that in mind.
tongue.gif

Great review, thanks! You have helped me deciding going for it. I have just just bought a Brand New pair on eBay for £100.30, delivered. I think it was a great deal...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back