Sennheiser amperior or vmoda m80 for metal?
Aug 18, 2013 at 1:37 AM Post #16 of 28
I am glad you are liking them. I just got mine in the other day and really like them too. I don't find the lyrics hard to understand but everyone hears a little differently. Do yourself a favor and stay away from 5 Finger Death Punch with these headphones, I am not a fan myself but a good friend of mine is and to me it is the only band with a real problem with the sounds. I forgtet the word but words ending in S and F sounds are unbearable but I haven't found this to be the case with any other vocalist. 

Enjoy the cans, one Amperior Lover to another. 

Yeah the headphones are slightly siblant and also Ivan moody isn't the best singer so he probably doesn't know how to sing and make s and fs sound a little more bearable. It could also be a mixing problem. A7x has this same problem but I find it even worse with them.

Aug 18, 2013 at 5:47 AM Post #18 of 28
Regarding the amperiors with vocals that seem behind/recessed - this was exactly what i thought too when i bought my pair and stuck some dark tranquillity on.

However, after burn-in, the bass/punch has subsided a bit, the highs became clearer and the vocals have come forward a bit so don't worry, they will only improve!

My pair now have 100+ hours on them and i absolutely love them for metal. With a cable upgrade, they are only sibilant on a rare certain song etc (also makes them louder compared to the horrendous stock steel cable).

Fwiw, my mate just bought a pair too and scoffed at burn in/cable upgrade so we did a quick comparison between his set and mine, the differences were extremely easy to notice - he even admitted there was a difference, most notably in clarity. I also noticed the strong bass was back on the new set haha.

Enjoy! 
L3000.gif

P.s. After burn in, try "Tool - Eulogy" on them...Amazing! If you don't mind Tool that is.

Aug 18, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #19 of 28
Regarding the amperiors with vocals that seem behind/recessed - this was exactly what i thought too when i bought my pair and stuck some dark tranquillity on.

However, after burn-in, the bass/punch has subsided a bit, the highs became clearer and the vocals have come forward a bit so don't worry, they will only improve!

My pair now have 100+ hours on them and i absolutely love them for metal. With a cable upgrade, they are only sibilant on a rare certain song etc (also makes them louder compared to the horrendous stock steel cable).

Fwiw, my mate just bought a pair too and scoffed at burn in/cable upgrade so we did a quick comparison between his set and mine, the differences were extremely easy to notice - he even admitted there was a difference, most notably in clarity. I also noticed the strong bass was back on the new set haha.

Enjoy! 
L3000.gif

P.s. After burn in, try "Tool - Eulogy" on them...Amazing! If you don't mind Tool that is.

I love tool! What cable should I upgrade to?

Aug 18, 2013 at 6:48 PM Post #20 of 28
Quote:
I love tool! What cable should I upgrade to?

\m/ !

There are a few options i think.
You can get senn hd650 stock cables and use those (budget option) but you lose the single entry.. with these you'll need to flip the cups upside down to allow dual entry.

The easily accessible ones are:
http://www.oyaide.com/ENGLISH/AUDIO/products_category/headphone_earphone_cbl/hpc-hd25.html (available on amazon and ebay).

http://customcans.co.uk/s/s/index.php/cables/1m-audiophile-sennheiser-hd25-1-silver-plated-ofc-copper-cable-cardas-neutrik.html (direct from that webstore linked and they also have an ebay store).

There are a few other more custom options but i didn't look into those -I have the Oyaide ones and couldn't be happier with them. I have a feeling the customcans one may be better.

Here's a little info on a stock hd25 cable (which is steel just like amperior's cable) compared to an upgrade cable:
http://www.customcans.co.uk/blog/?p=527

Aug 18, 2013 at 10:52 PM Post #21 of 28
\m/ !

You can get senn hd650 stock cables and use those (budget option) but you lose the single entry.. with these you'll need to flip the cups upside down to allow dual entry.

http://www.oyaide.com/ENGLISH/AUDIO/products_category/headphone_earphone_cbl/hpc-hd25.html (available on amazon and ebay).

http://customcans.co.uk/s/s/index.php/cables/1m-audiophile-sennheiser-hd25-1-silver-plated-ofc-copper-cable-cardas-neutrik.html (direct from that webstore linked and they also have an ebay store).

There are a few other more custom options but i didn't look into those -I have the Oyaide ones and couldn't be happier with them. I have a feeling the customcans one may be better.

Here's a little info on a stock hd25 cable (which is steel just like amperior's cable) compared to an upgrade cable:

Sweet! Which do you recommend?

Aug 18, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #22 of 28
\m/ !

I can't pull the cables out?!?!

Aug 19, 2013 at 9:03 AM Post #24 of 28
What the above poster said :)

I pulled on mine then while pulling gently wiggled them back and forth (as in frontwards to backwards) and they came off after that.

Regarding which cable... i guess probably the custom cans one ? It's slightly more in terms of dollar but like i said i have a feeling it's better too.
The only reason i got the Oyaide is because i'm impatient and the oyaide came quickly 
tongue_smile.gif
 No regrets though, as there is still a very very noticeable change in quality (and also volume too due to much less resistance, making them even easier to drive from just a portable).

Here are mine with the Oyaide cable if you're curious...
Note the awesome yellow cable-tie holding the cable near the headband on the right side haha... still waiting for the hd25 cable clamp set to come but i'm liking the cable tie look...it's "customised"!

Aug 19, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #25 of 28
What the above poster said :)

I pulled on mine then while pulling gently wiggled them back and forth (as in frontwards to backwards) and they came off after that.

Regarding which cable... i guess probably the custom cans one ? It's slightly more in terms of dollar but like i said i have a feeling it's better too.
The only reason i got the Oyaide is because i'm impatient and the oyaide came quickly 
tongue_smile.gif

No regrets though, as there is still a very very noticeable change in quality (and also volume too due to much less resistance, making them even easier to drive from just a portable).

Here are mine with the Oyaide cable if you're curious...
Note the awesome yellow cable-tie holding the cable near the headband on the right side haha... still waiting for the hd25 cable clamp set to come but i'm liking the cable tie look...it's "customised"!

I see your listening to opeth \m/ haha. Anyway cool ill definitely pick up one of those. Should I get a foil too?

Aug 20, 2013 at 8:39 AM Post #27 of 28
My favourite band of all time 
smily_headphones1.gif
, though i do prefer their really early stuff - Orchid's my favourite album.
I saw them live earlier this year in Sydney, Aus - frigging brilliant man! My neck/back was sore for 2 days from the headbanging ahah.

The Fiio... more of a personal choice i think. If your source has a good amp, you won't need to get a seperate amp for the amperiors as they are pretty easy to power anyways - especially once you get that upgrade cable with much less resistance.

In my case, the amp in my phone is just ok, so by using the fiio, to my ears the sound is better (even though it's double amped). The music has more body to it, the bass extends more and is much better controlled, and the highs seem to be more detailed. Not sure if this is just because the fiio amp is doing a better job or just colouring the signal...but it sounds quite a bit better to my ears with the fiio than without.

Fwiw, most amperior owners seem to say they've noticed slight increase in sq with an amp with a small few saying they've noticed a good difference with the amp. Obviously depending on what amp you get will potentially net you a different result.

I would definitely get the cable first though, the cable is a measurable upgrade... you will definitely notice differences with the very least being louder volume at same setting making the headphones easier to drive.

Aug 20, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #28 of 28
My favourite band of all time 
smily_headphones1.gif

, though i do prefer their really early stuff - Orchid's my favourite album.

I saw them live earlier this year in Sydney, Aus - frigging brilliant man! My neck/back was sore for 2 days from the headbanging ahah.

The Fiio... more of a personal choice i think. If your source has a good amp, you won't need to get a seperate amp for the amperiors as they are pretty easy to power anyways - especially once you get that upgrade cable with much less resistance.

In my case, the amp in my phone is just ok, so by using the fiio, to my ears the sound is better (even though it's double amped). The music has more body to it, the bass extends more and is much better controlled, and the highs seem to be more detailed. Not sure if this is just because the fiio amp is doing a better job or just colouring the signal...but it sounds quite a bit better to my ears with the fiio than without.

Fwiw, most amperior owners seem to say they've noticed slight increase in sq with an amp with a small few saying they've noticed a good difference with the amp. Obviously depending on what amp you get will potentially net you a different result.

I would definitely get the cable first though, the cable is a measurable upgrade... you will definitely notice differences with the very least being louder volume at same setting making the headphones easier to drive.

Okay. I still can't pull the cable out. This is frustrating. And how do I order the cable from the site? I see the cables are there but I don't see how to buy them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back