Sennheiser Amperior burn in problem?
Jan 7, 2014 at 8:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Turbo Ace

New Head-Fier
Hi there everyone.

This is my first post in head fi, but I have been creeping these forums for quite a while.

Recently, I decided to try burning in all my headphones. I simply played a mix (a wide variety) of all my music through my headphones, slightly above medium volume levels for approximately 4 days straight.

However, I noticed that the bass on my Sennheiser Amperiors doesnt seem as tight and "strong" as when I first bought them. Is this normal?

I happened to burn in my Ath-m50le 's at the same time, and now notice that the sound signatures are quite similar to each other (unless that's my lack of experience). Before trying to burn them in, the Amperiors sounded noticeably better than the m50's, but this is no longer the case.

So I'm guessing it's either there was a noticeable improvement in the ath-m50 that it rivals the Amperiors now, or the Amperiors have gotten worse and sound like the m50's. Or it could be a combination of both?

Thanks for your time everyone, and hopefully someone can give me some clarification on this subject.
Happy new year!

Jan 7, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #2 of 3
It could be a slight loosening of the diaphragms, lack of body oil on the pads, and a different seal each time you take a listen that is contributing to the perceived change in sound.  I do not think you have damaged the headphones unless you really cranked up the volume.

Jan 7, 2014 at 9:23 PM Post #3 of 3
Thanks for the quick reply.

So is a loss in bass a typical characteristic of loosened diaphragm's? I know for sure that they weren't at a cranked up volume. They were kept at a consistent volume the whole time. If there were any significant variations in volume then it may have been from the recordings itself.

Should I just try listening to it normally now and hope to get used to the sound signature? Lol I'm not a basshead by any means, but I sure miss the punch the Amperiors used to have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back