Sennheiser advice: upgrade PX100!
Oct 12, 2006 at 3:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

maggio

New Head-Fier
hi!
just arrived!
this audiophile stuff is all new to me!! but i’ve already learned a lot in this forum! Thanks for that!
smily_headphones1.gif

My nokia 6630 opened my eyes to the quest for quality headphones, cause when i bought it a few months ago, it came with Sennheiser PX 100 and AD-15 adaptor, which now i know are some very good or decent headphones in the price range.
When i bought the pack, i was very far from imagining that: my mobile music listening was confined to low end ear buds…
The PX100 got me listening to music with a lot more enjoyment! An they also got me thinking… what’s next?
So… i’m looking to buy some ‘phones, and i want:
- closed ‘phones (because of the linkage in a silent tube carriage…)
- bigger coupler size (comparing to the PX100)
- same or better sound performance
- equal confort
- budget limited

i’d like the most lightweight choice, but i know i’ll probably have to double the weight of the PX100 to get what i want, and that’s ok for me.
I’ll be using them on the move! …for now with the 6630, but soon with a better DAP!
(and i’m afraid more will follow…
biggrin.gif
)
i listen to lots of kinds of music, but mainly indie rock (whatever this is…), so i guess i’ll be needing good all round ‘phones.

i’m having a hard time finding good places to buy from, cause i REALLY want to try before buy, so i guess i’ll stick with Senn, ‘cause there’s a good reseller around here.

bottom-line:
i’m considering Senn’s EH150 or the HD202 (aprox same price…)
or with a bit more wallet effort:
Senn HD212pro or HD435 or EH250 (all equally priced)

other manufacturers are not ruled out... but if i can't try it first, i probably won't buy it. ah, Sony also has a good showroom for trying everything...

I know it's not such a big upgrade to the PX100, but budget won't allow bigger adventures for now, and i really wanted some bigger, closed couplers as an alternative to the PX100.

anyone care to help? THANKS

Oct 12, 2006 at 3:21 PM Post #2 of 10
Closed cans?

AKG K81djs should be on your list from what I hear around here.

Oct 12, 2006 at 3:31 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by lipidicman
Closed cans?

AKG K81djs should be on your list from what I hear around here.

thanks, but those are:
1. impossible to try before buy for me
2. more expensive than the Senn's

are they worth all that?

Oct 12, 2006 at 6:30 PM Post #4 of 10
Olá conterrâneo,

Comprei há dias uns Px100 no miau.ot por 20 euros, novos! Muito bons, em breve construirei um amp, talvez um cmoy..

Se quiseres falar um pouco sobre headphones manda-me uma pm com o teu endereço do msn, caso tenhas.

Abraço e cuidado com a carteira,

Francisco

Oct 13, 2006 at 9:05 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by imhungry
I have both the EH150s and the HD202s. Great for their price, decent SQ.

K81DJ blows them away right out of the box.
smily_headphones1.gif

thanks!

yesterday they let me try the HD201.
guess the HD202 is even better so i guess i'll go for that. and i can always get back to the PX100.

Oct 13, 2006 at 9:58 AM Post #7 of 10
although the sennheiser HD 202's are decent for their price, they are nowhere near as good as your px-100's! if you're looking at closed headphones with a sound quality comparable or better than your px-100's, then the AKG K81 DJ's are really a bargain that you should consider. i have similar (but more expensive) headphones, the Sennheiser HD 25's, and i couldn't be happier

you might even consider selling the px-100's to get the k81's, although i doubt you'd want to part with them
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 13, 2006 at 10:39 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Firestarter
although the sennheiser HD 202's are decent for their price, they are nowhere near as good as your px-100's! if you're looking at closed headphones with a sound quality comparable or better than your px-100's, then the AKG K81 DJ's are really a bargain that you should consider. i have similar (but more expensive) headphones, the Sennheiser HD 25's, and i couldn't be happier

you might even consider selling the px-100's to get the k81's, although i doubt you'd want to part with them
smily_headphones1.gif

yeah, i'll stick with the px100 for sure! and for sure i will keep using them!
maybe i'll make an extra effort to buy the AKG K81 dj, but they're about three times the price of HD202!!
frown.gif

i'll try ordering online...

well thanks! after all it's not such a big investment! probably just the first of many more...
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 13, 2006 at 1:13 PM Post #9 of 10
I owned the 212's for a while (a long time ago), and my girlfriend has the PX 100...from these experiences I can tell you not to bother with the 212s unless you like rap/trance/music that requires LOTS of bass. If you do, they're great, like having a club inside your head. But they don't do nearly as well as the PX100 otherwise. The HD202 suffers from the same problem.

Oct 13, 2006 at 1:34 PM Post #10 of 10
You see its the usual problem. Making good closed cans is hard. For a closed can to sound better than even a cheaper open can is a tough job. It can be done though and when a good one comes along people shout about it.

The HD25, the K81DJ, maybe even the DT231 from a few years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back