Sennheiser 6xx cord polarity question
Aug 14, 2008 at 5:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

strangelove

100+ Head-Fier
Here's a maybe unusual question. On the Sennheiser HD6xx series (HD650s in my case) the part of the cable that connects to the headphones, each side has two prongs. What happens if you flip them 180 degrees? Does it mess anything up? Is one positive and one negative and they're supposed to be in a certain orientation?

The reason I ask is because I just got a replacement Zu Mobius cable. On each of the plugs there's a little dot on one side to denote Lt and Rt. Now I'm assuming that the dotted side is to face out so you can see it. However the cable plugs into the headphones either way. And what's weird is they sound slightly better when the plugs are reversed so that each of the dots face inwards (eg, the plugs flipped 180 degrees). Does that make any sense?

Aug 14, 2008 at 6:10 PM Post #2 of 9
I believe with the Zu, the dot should face out. I don't know if it matters or not if they face in, so long as BOTH are facing the same way, oterwise you're out of phase.

Aug 14, 2008 at 6:32 PM Post #4 of 9
are the sizes of all 4 pins on zu the same?
for stock pins and cardas pins, on each connector, the two pins are different in sizes.
on the right side, the smaller pin should be in front. and the opposite for the left side.

Aug 14, 2008 at 10:23 PM Post #5 of 9
Yeah, for my Cardas cable it only fits one way. The Zu fits either way. It's weird though because I've A/B'd it several times and it seems like I can hear a difference with the plugs flipped. I don't know, maybe I'm going crazy.

Aug 14, 2008 at 11:18 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe with the Zu, the dot should face out.

i think that is right.

Aug 14, 2008 at 11:21 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by strangelove /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's weird though because I've A/B'd it several times and it seems like I can hear a difference with the plugs flipped. I don't know, maybe I'm going crazy.

Ofcourse, when they are in phase, you hear the sound very differently than when you have them normal. I can't really describe it, but it sounds strange.

Aug 15, 2008 at 1:23 AM Post #9 of 9
Red to the right, black to the left.

Orientate the pins correctly as there is a smaller and a larger pin. If you look into the sockets at the headphone, you will notice corresponding smalland larger hole.

Pushing them in wrongly will almost certainly affect the sockets on the headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back