Sennheiser 660S vs Drop 6xx
Jan 4, 2023 at 5:56 PM Post #2 of 19
The 300-Ohm Sennheiser/Massdrop HD6XX are something I would use with a tube amplifier or A/V receiver.
Were as the 150-Ohm Sennheiser HD660s would be easier for a smartphone to drive, but should work well plugged into a lot of head amps.

Jan 4, 2023 at 8:52 PM Post #6 of 19
Thank folks, I have the guy talked down from $245.00 to $200.00 but, am debating if I should buy them or, maybe a little better headphone amp? The phones are like new one month old.
The 660S comes with two detachable cords, one single ended and one balanced. If you have a headphone amp with a balanced output, that could be an advantage.

Jan 7, 2023 at 12:30 PM Post #11 of 19
With my ears, the 660s seem to sound cleaner and have more definition especially on cymbals and high hats. Of course this could be due to my age. I'd like to have a head amp with L-R balance control since my left ear is a little better than my right. I must say though, the sound of the hd 6xx and the 660s are both very satisfying. I mainly, need the balance control and both pairs will probably exceed my expectations.

Jan 8, 2023 at 3:17 PM Post #13 of 19
With my ears, the 660s seem to sound cleaner and have more definition especially on cymbals and high hats. Of course this could be due to my age. I'd like to have a head amp with L-R balance control since my left ear is a little better than my right. I must say though, the sound of the hd 6xx and the 660s are both very satisfying. I mainly, need the balance control and both pairs will probably exceed my expectations.
I agree, to me they sound cleaner that the 6XX. The 6XX has always had that veil that people write about. I know there are amp pairings that improve the situation, but I never had that with the 660S. To me the 6XX do sound smoother, which counts for something. At the end of the day, neither really did it for me. But if I had to do it over again, I'd probably go 6XX and try to EQ them.

Jan 10, 2023 at 11:15 AM Post #15 of 19
Well, a very good used one should sell around $200-$250.
The current $300 price is directly from Sennheiser (or from Sennheiser store in Amazon) and includes free shipping. So I think the higher price of new vs used is worth the difference to make sure you get a warranty, and also to provide free 30-day returns if you don't like them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back