Sennheiser 600 vs 650 or Other Thoughts
Sep 26, 2006 at 1:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Duc

100+ Head-Fier
Hello, I need advise on a new purchase of cans. I currently have a set of Senn 590's and a set of Senn 280's. I need to upgrade and need some opinions. I think I am looking into Sennheiser's as I have had a pair Grado 125's and find them too bright and the bass too transparent for my tastes, so Sennheiser has my money (unless someone can convince me otherwise). I am running a Marantz 63SE through a Little Dot II+ Headphone amp. Any opinions?...

Sep 26, 2006 at 6:18 AM Post #2 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duc
Hello, I need advise on a new purchase of cans. I currently have a set of Senn 590's and a set of Senn 280's. I need to upgrade and need some opinions. I think I am looking into Sennheiser's as I have had a pair Grado 125's and find them too bright and the bass too transparent for my tastes, so Sennheiser has my money (unless someone can convince me otherwise). I am running a Marantz 63SE through a Little Dot II+ Headphone amp. Any opinions?...

I take it you like colored & warm cans?

If you want something different try..
Beyer880/990 (05)
Sony SA5000 (an aquired taste it seems)
AT AD990/ AT AD1000..

Also want kind of music do you usually listen to? & do you have sonic preferences?

Sep 26, 2006 at 6:30 AM Post #3 of 12
If you found the SR125s too bright and their bass too transparent then stay away from the SA5k's...

Sep 26, 2006 at 6:50 AM Post #5 of 12
I'm a fan of the Senns (though would recommend the HD580 over the HD600 because of price), but you should at least consider the AKG K701 as the signature is similar enough (especially compared to Grados and Sonys) and you may prefer it. Just keep in mind the Senns discussed are a little different than your 590.

Sep 27, 2006 at 12:00 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice
I take it you like colored & warm cans?

Also want kind of music do you usually listen to? & do you have sonic preferences?

Hmmm. A lot of Electronic/Trip Hop, Rock/Metal, Jazz, Industrial, Older Rap, and lately movie Scores (Juno Reactor, Massive Attack, Amon Tobin, NIN, Tool, Ministry, Clutch, Italian Job Score, etc)

Sonic Preferences... Not too sharp, but clean. Detailed, snappy, and punchy but not boomy, tight. (I'm a drummer and favor the snare aspect of the kit) Warm and smooth but dark.

Make sense?
blink.gif

Sep 27, 2006 at 12:03 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duc
Hmmm. A lot of Electronic/Trip Hop, Rock/Metal, Jazz, Industrial, Older Rap, and lately movie Scores (Juno Reactor, Massive Attack, Amon Tobin, NIN, Tool, Ministry, Clutch, Italian Job Score, etc)

Sonic Preferences... Not too sharp, but clean. Detailed, snappy, and punchy but not boomy, tight. (I'm a drummer and favor the snare aspect of the kit) Warm and smooth but dark.

Make sense?
blink.gif

"Warm and smooth but dark".
Sounds like the 650's to me..
smily_headphones1.gif

Amps also play a role in the above mentioned to some aspect..If you want Tight bass.. I'd suggest The portaphile V2^2..Nice tight, & defined bass.. On a sidenote, some people feel the 650 is boomy in the bass department..

Sep 27, 2006 at 1:13 AM Post #8 of 12
Thanks for the input

Sep 27, 2006 at 4:14 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice
I don't think that the SA5's are that bright..

Who in their right mind would recommend the SA5k's to someone that found Grados too bright?

Sep 27, 2006 at 11:34 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duc

See this thread (if you haven't already) - it will answer your questions.

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=200099

Users who are viewing this thread

Back