Sennheiser 598 vs 650 vs 660, looking to upgrade, help.
Jan 27, 2018 at 6:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Musicloversme91

New Head-Fier
Hi, At the moment, I have been an owner of the Sennheiser 598 headphones. I have never bought an amp for the headphones. I’ve just been using them to listen to music. I am really thinking of getting the 650 or even the 660 as an upgrade to use for the next 5 years or so. But the problem is, I don’t want to waste my money. I know a concern like this has already been posted on this forums before. But I am looking to really seriously stay dedicated to a serious sound/music set up. What are your thoughts on me upgrading to the 598 to 650 or 660 with an amp? And also, if I do upgrade, I need an amp that is reasonable price, but I can also travel with it in a tech bag of some sort for trips, airplanes, etc. I am even considering getting the sennheiser 700s if possible. Please help me out! Thank you.

Jan 28, 2018 at 9:37 AM Post #3 of 11
I personally think HD700 is really good, some people dislike it and say HD650 is superior, but I would say 700 is suitable for a larger variety of songs.

What are some good sound sources (as in music media and devices) used to drive the 700? Also, what amp can I find that is a reasonable price range. If I am using let’s say an IPad to use with the 700’s to watch YouTube music videos, will I be disappointed with the sound quality?

Jan 29, 2018 at 8:37 AM Post #6 of 11
What are some good sound sources (as in music media and devices) used to drive the 700? Also, what amp can I find that is a reasonable price range. If I am using let’s say an IPad to use with the 700’s to watch YouTube music videos, will I be disappointed with the sound quality?
I used the centrance DACmini and it works pretty good with usb connection, HD700 should be easier to drive.

Jan 29, 2018 at 8:56 PM Post #8 of 11
As far as listening straight out of the iPad the 700’s win hands down for me over the 650’s 6xx in my case. I think the 700’s are better headphones but they do have deficits.There is no perfect headphone . The 650’s are not perfect either.

Feb 2, 2018 at 10:01 PM Post #9 of 11
As far as listening straight out of the iPad the 700’s win hands down for me over the 650’s 6xx in my case. I think the 700’s are better headphones but they do have deficits.There is no perfect headphone . The 650’s are not perfect either.

Ok. Ty. One last question. Would it behoove me to invest into a pair of hd 700's now (and would they be future proof) if we will be seeing smart phone devices and others alike without a headphone jack, and going to the bluetooth headphone only route? I wanted to ask this now because I don't want to waste my money on the sennheisers now to only figure out they will become obsolete due to bluetooth technology in the next few years.

Feb 2, 2018 at 10:15 PM Post #10 of 11
Ok. Ty. One last question. Would it behoove me to invest into a pair of hd 700's now (and would they be future proof) if we will be seeing smart phone devices and others alike without a headphone jack, and going to the bluetooth headphone only route? I wanted to ask this now because I don't want to waste my money on the sennheisers now to only figure out they will become obsolete due to bluetooth technology in the next few years.

1- As long as cables don't bother you, you're perfectly fine.
2- Headphones like HD700 work best out of a dedicated high quality DAP or desktop DAC/Amp setup anyway.
3- You can still use the HD700 with (hypothetical) bluetooth-only devices adding something like a FiiO BTR1 in the chain.

Be sure of liking HD700's sound signature before buying.
It's technically advanced in various regards, but it's not the most forgiving headphone.
Feed them with less than very good recordings and they won't shine.

Feb 2, 2018 at 10:16 PM Post #11 of 11
Bluetooth has to get a lot better first I don’t think it is close just yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back