Sennheiser 598? Shure 840?
Jan 13, 2013 at 10:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Noahjaws

Head-Fier
Hey All,

Looking for new headphones.  I currently own Xb-700's.  These have a little too much bass, but they are very comfortable.  

I was looking at the Shure SRH840 and possibly the ATH-M50.

I could also wait awhile and maybe bump it up to a pair of Sennheiser 598 HD.

How do the 840s compare to the 598s?  (I know, different price ranges. Lots of differences)  Bonus points to anyone who can also compare either one to the Xb-700s.

I would be using these with a fiio e6 amp.  Any suggestions for amps would be appreciated, although i would like it to be cheaper and portable due to these being used with my iphone.

I listen to Indie Rock, Rock, Alternative.

I would use these for some movies, and some gaming, but mostly music.

Which would be the best for me?

Main differences between the two?  Please explain why.

Comfort and design are also a pretty big factor. 

other suggestions?  Budget ~$100-$200

Thanks
-Noahjaws

Jan 13, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #2 of 4
Quote:
Hey All,

Looking for new headphones.  I currently own Xb-700's.  These have a little too much bass, but they are very comfortable.  

How do the 840s compare to the 598s?  (I know, different price ranges. Lots of differences)  Bonus points to anyone who can also compare either one to the Xb-700s.

I would be using these with a fiio e6 amp.  Any suggestions for amps would be appreciated, although i would like it to be cheaper and portable due to these being used with my iphone.

Thanks
-Noahjaws

From your criteria, HD598 would be the best choice as they offer much better sound quality and gaming,movie experience than the other two due to larger soundstage. Comfort of HD598 is also miles ahead of them.
Your XB700 should have much more bass than these cans though...

Jan 13, 2013 at 11:31 PM Post #3 of 4
The 598's are open, so keep that in mind.

Jan 14, 2013 at 12:06 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:
Hey All,

Thanks
-Noahjaws

Both have their strong points and downfalls.  Both are fairly balanced and have good sound, but the srh 840s will have better bass response being that they are closed headphones.  They are foldable and they come with a bag so they are portable as well, but they are uncomfortable to wear.  The ear pads are shallow and there's not much padding on the headband.  The hd 598s are open and the bass will seem light coming from a headphone like the XB-700 (I used to own the XB-500 and they are fairly similar).  They do classical, vocals, gaming, and movies all very well.  The hd 598s are not really portable either but are one of the most comfortable headphones I own.  Also take a look at the Beyerdynamic dt 770s pro.  They run for about the same price as the other two and are highly regarded.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back