sennheiser 580s V 600
Apr 18, 2002 at 4:53 PM Post #16 of 35
I've compared the HD600 and HD580 using the Headroom Max amplifier and SAC K1000 amplifier. I found the HD600 to have tighter bass and improved treble clarity, among other, smaller improvements. The difference was enough to make me bypass the HD580s altogether and go straight for the HD600s, if and when I decide to buy one.

Apr 18, 2002 at 5:11 PM Post #17 of 35
"Yah. They have the same engine (drivers for headphones) but just different looks, and yes, the M3 is more 'refined.'

The E46 M3 is a harsher ride than the E46 330, so I doubt it would be more refined.

"But if you were to do a 'blindfolded test' of both cars (don't try this at home, youngins!
rolleyes.gif
), just you and the gas pedal, will you be able to tell a difference?"

Easy! The S54 (the E46 M3 engine) engine has an 8K redline while the M54 engine (the 330's) has a 6.5K redline. Just accelerate and see which one hits the rev limiter first. I've actually accidentally performed this test in an M-Roadster equipped with an S54 when I was given a ride at an autocross in one. I noticed that the driver's shift points were significantly later than mine, and I couldn't figure out why that was until he told which engine was in the car.

The M3's performance is so much higher than the 330's that I think it's a bad analogy for the 580/600 differences.

--Andre

Apr 18, 2002 at 5:47 PM Post #18 of 35
I could easily tell them apart in a blind test since the HD580 weigh more.
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm convinced I can hear the difference between them on my midprice system (D500SE/Corda), but it doesn't matter enough to me to bother with too much comparison. The HD600s are more comfortable for me because they weigh less. If I had to pinpoint one main difference I would say the HD580 have slightly more midbass, slightly less focus/clarity. I like the look and feel of the HD600 much more. The carbon fibre and metal grills are what do it for me I guess.

Apr 18, 2002 at 11:23 PM Post #20 of 35
I have been a long time user of the 580. I have heard the 600 a bunch of times, the most recently about two weeks ago. I find that with the same amp (cmoy, Creek, or TA), the 600s seem significantly less veiled with more pristine treble presence. Too bad since I own the 580. I can't really speak to much higher quality amps since I haven't really heard either on them, but on the above equipment, I find the 600s more pleasing.

Apr 19, 2002 at 5:07 AM Post #22 of 35
fwiw, M. Fremer, the Stereophile guy, heard a big difference going from 580's to 580-jubilees and an even bigger difference from jubilees to 600s. Of course, my merely mortal ears almost never hear as much as his, on the few occasions I get to listen to stuff he writes about......

Apr 19, 2002 at 5:10 AM Post #23 of 35
Oh, and don't confuse us with facts, Woofy! Perhaps the 600s feel lighter because they grip more tightly (?)

Apr 19, 2002 at 3:07 PM Post #24 of 35
Quote:

Originally posted by stuartr

HA. I am sorry, I know this is a serious and valid comment, but all I see is a pair of 600s sitting by the fire in a red velvet robe smoking a pipe while giving a cogent analysis of Epictetus...

lol!
you forgot "and sipping congac"
wink.gif

But to get back on the subject, go with the one that you can get the best deal on, they are that close.
Then enjoy the music.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 19, 2002 at 4:19 PM Post #25 of 35
Quote:

Originally posted by daycart1
Perhaps the 600s feel lighter because they grip more tightly (?)

My particular 580 grips tighter than my particular 600, on my big head.
I have used my 600 daily for over a year and my 580 very little so far (since I only acquired it recently.)

Apr 19, 2002 at 6:15 PM Post #26 of 35
...just wanted to point out that all this talk of better driver matching being a contributing factor to the better sound of the HD600 is not valid IMHO. Consider that the matching of most volume pots, even expensive ones is about 10x worse than the driver matching.

If you have a stepped attenuator, then you may have something there.

Note, I have not heard the 580 or 600, but it is a valid point nonetheless.

Apr 19, 2002 at 8:02 PM Post #27 of 35
Quote:

Originally posted by Nick Dangerous
In other words:

The 580 is a BMW 325i w/6 cylinder engine and leather seats.

The 600 is a BMW 325i w/6 cylinder engine, leather seats, and burled walnut window trim.

This cracked me up!!

Apr 19, 2002 at 8:35 PM Post #28 of 35
Quote:

Originally posted by Phloodpants
...just wanted to point out that all this talk of better driver matching being a contributing factor to the better sound of the HD600 is not valid IMHO. Consider that the matching of most volume pots, even expensive ones is about 10x worse than the driver matching.

Do you know that for a fact, or is that just a supposition? I ask because many of the "higher end" amp manufacturers claim very high levels of matching on their amps...

Apr 19, 2002 at 10:14 PM Post #30 of 35
That's a fact! A typical dual audio taper pot has pretty poor matching, especially on the lower end of the dial. Now, there are some premium pots like the big black Panasonics and whatnot, and they are quite excellent, but still nowhere near 0.05db.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back