Sennheiser 580 and ????
Dec 15, 2008 at 3:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

berzzzz

Head-Fier
I have a pair of 580's with a cardas upgraded cable. They are OK but I have never found them to be that exciting. I generally listen to a variety of rock, mostly classical rock or progressive since I am an old fart.

Was thinking of adding a pair of phones either the grado 325i or the AKG 701. Both can be had for about the same price.

Any thoughts

I am listening through a headroom cosmic and have a little dot hybrid on the way.

Your thoughts

Dec 15, 2008 at 5:20 AM Post #2 of 8
I'd go the 325i route, as the 701's lack excitement overall. I'm a recent Beyer convert, and would suggest trying a pair of the 990's. Rock sounds great, and on your set up should be quite impressive.

Dec 15, 2008 at 8:32 AM Post #4 of 8
I definitely recommend the 325i's given your opinion of the HD580. Having a Grado and a Sennheiser in the stable is a great idea (rockin' the same idea, myself, along with a Beyerdynamics DT880 for primary music reproduction duties
dt880smile.png
)

Dec 15, 2008 at 10:59 AM Post #6 of 8
Hey berzzzz

I would go with the 325i's, they are really good rock phones. I have a pair myself. I also have a LD 1+ hybrid that pushes my 325i's. The 325i's are low imped. phones and also the LD 1+ was built with low imped. phones in mine.

David

Dec 15, 2008 at 11:41 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by berzzzz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a pair of 580's with a cardas upgraded cable. They are OK but I have never found them to be that exciting. I generally listen to a variety of rock, mostly classical rock or progressive since I am an old fart.

Was thinking of adding a pair of phones either the grado 325i or the AKG 701. Both can be had for about the same price.

Any thoughts

I am listening through a headroom cosmic and have a little dot hybrid on the way.

Your thoughts

Have you tried some other amp with it? The sound signature of the amp can make a big difference with the 580. (for instance, there is a big differene between using the headphone amp in my 0404usb compared with my xcanv3)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back