Sennheiser 580/600 defoam mod
Jul 13, 2011 at 4:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Moonwalker

100+ Head-Fier
Hi!

Some time ago, i tried APureSound mod, link here: http://apuresound.com/hdsennmod.html

It's about 4 or 5 months now, now I have some time to write about how I perceived sound changes regarding the individual mods.

Internal foam removal: resulted IMO in weird/bad look and, most importantly, the sound became unpleasantly reduced imaging precision, the coherent soundstage was damaged, by a fairly large degree, I was definitely happier when I put the oval foams back in.

Rear, outer foam removal: I was perceiving cleaner bass, wider soundfield, but only at elevated volume, at my normal listening levels the change was not noticeable for me. I listen mostly around 70 dB average. Main negative came from looser, slower (I hate this word, sorry) bass, and increase in bass level around 120 Hz. The sound was now bass heavy, and not in a good way. Again, this was problem only at higher volume. Instead, i put denser, thicker foam back in the proper place. Circle diameter as original, with 8 shallow cuts on the perimeter to better fit and accomodate the ribs around it. It compressed the soundstage width a little, and the bass became less prominent, more controlled and evened out - as usual with better dampening. The difference is very small, but definitely step in the right direction, for me. It is more noticeable on my Onkyo receiver HP out with its high 120 Ohm impedance, much less on ZAMA HP amp, which has almost 0 Ohm output impedance.

Metal grille substitute: Looks absolutely great on HD 580 IMO, gives it better appearance than the HD 600 overall. No sonic advantages emerged, or at least I was not able to detect them. As a double check, I measured sweep sine wave distortion with plastic and metal grille, it was almost the same. I prefer original plastic grille, it's uglier, but impossible to dent in my travel bag, or when more people are using them, I'm less afraid that the grille paint would be damaged, or (disaster!) the metal grille would return dented.

Last thing, the HD 650 cable: I found almost no difference, maybe I only convinced myself I was hearing more lower- and midbass. But the difference was subtle at most, maybe nonexistent. Measuring test tones revealed no difference either.

So, this is my short story after long time :)
Do your experience differs? Please write about it!

Thanks
Moonwalker

Jul 13, 2011 at 7:36 AM Post #2 of 7
I didn't like the foam removal mod, it made it sound rattle-y and sloppy. Thats really all there was to it. I did both inner and outer at the same time and I didn't like it, it felt muddy, unrefined, and not like I was listening to an audiophile headphone.

Glad you share my opinions on this, I was so embarassed about what I had done to my wonderful headphones that I never wrote about it and I felt like I made a terrible mistake.

Jul 13, 2011 at 7:49 AM Post #3 of 7
Hi Chris!

Don't worry about it, after all, you've touched your own property :)
The troubles putting back foam are significant, thicker ones even more so, I'm happy they are back and would probably never touch it again!

Most headphones, even high end ones, benefit from damping in sensible amount. Otherwise happens exactly what you've described. I made that experience on AKG, K701, K401 and Sennheisers in general. Also some DIY electrostats mentioned on Headwize have irregularities in their response calling for proper dampening treatment IMO. That is physics, and I expect reasonable load resistance using foam is better than nothing. No material is perfect, and diaphragm puts lot of opposite requirements on it, so without electrical and mechanical control of resonances, things could easily go wild...

BTW, over-damping is just as bad thing as leaving drivers and enclosure un-damped.

PS: Treat your 580, they are evergeen for me and few of my friends, for more than a decade.

Thank you for sharing thoughts!
Moonwalker

Aug 12, 2012 at 8:47 AM Post #4 of 7
I felt that my pair of HD600's with the inside foams removed helped in the 4-5kHz roll off. It was a better thing to do in my opinion. Afraid to remove the back foam though (irreversible
basshead.gif
)

Aug 12, 2012 at 11:19 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:
I felt that my pair of HD600's with the inside foams removed helped in the 4-5kHz roll off. It was a better thing to do in my opinion. Afraid to remove the back foam though (irreversible
basshead.gif
)

The back foam mod is the worse so called "mod" ever invented. It's nice if you want to bloat the bass of the HD-600 even further.
I did it and hated it so much that I switched back in under an hour.

It's reversible, but a challenge to get the foam back in.

If someone could measure the results from removing the foam i'm sure it'd give you negative results. No extra treble at all IMO. Even more recessed mids.

Aug 12, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

The back foam mod is the worse so called "mod" ever invented. It's nice if you want to bloat the bass of the HD-600 even further.
I did it and hated it so much that I switched back in under an hour.

It's reversible, but a challenge to get the foam back in.

If someone could measure the results from removing the foam i'm sure it'd give you negative results. No extra treble at all IMO. Even more recessed mids.

Thankfully I did not remove the back foam mod then, will just remove the foam pads like i've done so.

Oct 22, 2012 at 8:39 AM Post #7 of 7
Hi!

I suspect/speculate that by removing this foam you will leave the damping control on the electrical side of the amplifier out only.
The lower impedance, the better control.
But, by leaving out the foam as mechanical damping, you can prevent backwave distortion to some degree, even if it's still present by reflections from platic parts of the phones used...
Still, the tradeoff is too great, and the results IMHO are better with foam installed.

Moonwalker

Users who are viewing this thread

Back