Sennheiser 558 cable question...and a few more
Oct 7, 2012 at 5:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

csice

New Head-Fier
So I think I want to make the jump and buy my first high quality headphones, but I, like most people it seems, have problems with the cable. Have they come out with any other cable for these that is shorter and has a 3.5 mm jack? I do plan on using these as portable phones as well and I don't want a pocket bulging with cables.

I also wanted to ask about the open ear style. How loud are outside noises and how loud are they to those around me? I haven't been able to find a video or anything. If they're really loud, then I may reconsider.

Lastly,are there any ways to get a good deal on these lower than the $180 that they cost most places?

Oct 8, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:
So I think I want to make the jump and buy my first high quality headphones, but I, like most people it seems, have problems with the cable. Have they come out with any other cable for these that is shorter and has a 3.5 mm jack? I do plan on using these as portable phones as well and I don't want a pocket bulging with cables.

I also wanted to ask about the open ear style. How loud are outside noises and how loud are they to those around me? I haven't been able to find a video or anything. If they're really loud, then I may reconsider.

Lastly,are there any ways to get a good deal on these lower than the $180 that they cost most places?

The 500 series has not had a new cable released by Sennheiser.

You can braid the cable to make it significantly shorter. There was a thread about it somewhere on Head-Fi. Can confirm that it works well if you prefer a shorter length.

Outside noises will not bother you much unless the surroundings are bustling with noise. If you play loud music, the sound leakage is significant and noticable to those around you.

If you're okay with getting them used, I recommend doing so in the Head-Fi For Sale/Trade section. I would also consider getting the Senn 598 if you can spot the exta ~$50 or so. I've seen used ones for <$180.

Oct 9, 2012 at 3:30 PM Post #4 of 7
hmmm, I really wish there was some kind of video that showed how loud these and similar headphones are from the outside.

Any chance you can find that thread?

Oct 9, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #5 of 7
For in public, your better off just getting closed headphones.
What source(s) are you plugging headphones into?

Oct 9, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:
hmmm, I really wish there was some kind of video that showed how loud these and similar headphones are from the outside.

Any chance you can find that thread?

Thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/593066/diy-video-how-to-braid-long-cords-hfi-580-ath-m50-etc

Very neat, I happened upon it by chance when I was researching braided cables. Do note it does require patience/practice to get all of the braids the same size. Took me a good hour before I was satisfied with mine.

I've purchased a few headphones/IEMs that are significantly more expensive than the 598s in the past months, but they still hold a very special place in my heart for at home use. Portable use though... maybe when I'm going from my apartment to the laundry facility. Never anything more than that. The sound leakage will annoy people to bits.

Unless of course you don't mind people giving you fish eyes. :)

Oct 9, 2012 at 7:44 PM Post #7 of 7
I would be using them mostly with an ipod.

That sucks about the sound though, I was set on these. I love the looks(this is a big factor), and I love sennheiser. I don't listen to much music in public, but between that and the cable, maybe I should look for others, I just don't know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back