Sennheiser 558/Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro vs. Astro Headset Questions and Help for gaming!!
Oct 17, 2014 at 2:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

MannyWins

New Head-Fier
Hello.

I have been using the Astro Gaming Headset/Mixamp combo for gaming for years now.  I have been interested and been reading many forums and watching videos on Youtube on the Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic headphones having a great soundstage, especially for gaming.

NOW,  I want a high quality sound for my video games and the occasional movies.  I have a pair of Audio Technica ATH-50's for my music already so thats covered.

I'm using Astro Gaming Headset/Mixamp for gaming on my PS4 and it does its job but from what im reading I can get a better and higher quality sound from a higher quality headphone and im stuck between the Sennheiser 558 and the Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pros.  I already ordered a ModMic to connect to what ever headphone I choose to use for chat when I go multiplayer.

Which would be the better choice?  Like I said I have the pre-2013 Mixamp from Astro for surround and chat when im playing multiplayer but when playing single player games I have read the Turtle Beach DSS 2 is a better amp.  I just want the best for surround sound gaming and movies.  Astro has released a brand new version of the Mixamp with 7.1 surround that im considering as well.

What are your guys suggestions for this whole thing?  I know this subject has been beaten down for years now but I started this thread to get a more personal feel on it.

Thank You for reading and any input is appreciated!

Oct 17, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #2 of 10
  .I have been using the Astro Gaming Headset/Mixamp combo for gaming for years now.  I have been interested and been reading many forums and watching videos on Youtube on the Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic headphones having a great sound stage, especially for gaming.
NOW,  I want a high quality sound for my video games and the occasional movies.  I have a pair of Audio Technica ATH-50's for my music already so that's covered.
I'm using Astro Gaming Headset/Mix-amp for gaming on my PS4 and it does its job but from what I'm reading I can get a better and higher quality sound from a higher quality headphone and im stuck between the Sennheiser 558 and the Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pros.  I already ordered a ModMic to connect to what ever headphone I choose to use for chat when I go multiplayer.
Which would be the better choice?  Like I said I have the pre-2013 Mix-amp from Astro for surround and chat when I'm playing multiplayer but when playing single player games I have read the Turtle Beach DSS 2 is a better amp.  I just want the best for surround sound gaming and movies.  Astro has released a brand new version of the Mix-amp with 7.1 surround that im considering as well.
What are your guys suggestions for this whole thing?  I know this subject has been beaten down for years now but I started this thread to get a more personal feel on it.

I would say to get a used ($89) Senn HD558 and remove the black rubber tape from inside the cups.
As you already have bassy headphones (ATH-m50) and the DT990 are bassy headphones, the Senn HD558 will offer an easy to listen to sound.
Plus it's a easier for the Mix-amp to drive the 50-Ohm HD558s, then the 250-Ohm DT990s.

Oct 18, 2014 at 12:42 AM Post #3 of 10
I don't mind having a bassy headphone for gaming/movies but as long as it doesn't distract the sound stage.  Do the Beyers have that well rounded sound or is the bass on the 558's good enough.

Oct 18, 2014 at 12:54 AM Post #4 of 10
  I don't mind having a bassy headphone for gaming/movies but as long as it doesn't distract the sound stage.  Do the Beyers have that well rounded sound or is the bass on the 558's good enough.

The HD558 have a decent bass (at least for me), but it's more a bass you hear, but not so much a bass you feel.
Where as the DT990 are full bass/treble, which slightly over shadows the mids, but the mids are clear.
A lot of FPS gamers like using the DT990s.
The Astro Mix-amp's headphone amplifier is just about maxed out, driving the 250-Ohm DT990s.
A FiiO E11K headphone amplifier ($60), would give the DT990 a nice boost, while used with the Astro Mix-amp.

Oct 19, 2014 at 11:00 AM Post #6 of 10
I had the 558's for approx 2 years. Bought 2013 A40's with mixamp and the second I put them on, a second later they came off my head, put back in the box and listed for sale on Ebay. Drowned out midrange, sloppy bass, highs? What highs? LOL. Such a horrible product.

Hd558's murder them in every single possible way. Including build quality as they're both plastic. I have rubber maid in my cabinets that is more durable/rigid than the A40's. Thin plastic.

I also had dt990's. Recessed mids, in between a40's and 558's. 558's being the most pronounced of the three. dt990's are artificially too bright. Nothing in my life produces such unbearable highs, including metal tweeters in cars with 120w rms playing rock music or electronic music. Bass digs deep which is nice.

I now have Fidelio X1's which is much better than all three of those. X1>HD558>DT990>A toilet flushing>A40's.

Oct 19, 2014 at 12:15 PM Post #7 of 10
I want to keep the 5.1 sound while gaming. Is it possible to route the Mixamp to another amp and still keep the 5.1?

Daisy chain a headphone amplifier off the mix-amp, yes.

Oct 19, 2014 at 1:02 PM Post #10 of 10
I went ahead and bought the 558's. Any ideas on a amp that will compliment these nicely?
I assume I plug the toslink into the Mixamp>headphone jack out into the input of the amp>headphones into out?

The 50-Ohm HD558s should work fine plugged directly into a mix-amp.
It's the DT990 that would have benefited more from an extra amplifier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back