Sennheiser 555 vs 598 for FPS gaming and music.
Oct 7, 2012 at 12:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

David164v8

New Head-Fier
I sold my old headset, so I'm going to be needing a pair of new headphones. They will mostly be used for gaming (FPS, RPG etc...) so positioning is important. Although I would like my games to sound immersive as well. In terms of music, I mostly listen to

- Alternative Rock
- Indie Rock
- Electronic
However, I listen to a little bit of everything, so it would be nice if the headphone was quite well rounded.

I had my mind pretty much set on a pair of HD555, as they were cheap and sounded like they would suit my needs, but now I'm not so sure. I don't want to be left feeling unhappy with my headphones, so would it be worth it to buy something a bit more expensive? Like a 598?

555 - £80
598 - £140

I could buy the 598's, but the 555's are far more comfortably within my budget.

Tl;dr - Is it worth buying a 598 over a 555 for gaming and music in general?

Oct 7, 2012 at 1:19 PM Post #3 of 13
As far as I know, the 598 has a much wider soundstage than the old Sennheiser's so definitely worth it if position is important.

If price is a concern, the best compromise would probably be the 558.

Hah, I've pretty much talked myself into buying the 598's by now. I think I'll just go for them. Hopefully I won't have to upgrade for a long time :wink:

One thing im wondering is, will my Xonar DG be good enough for them? Or will I need to buy a better sound card at some point?

Thanks

Edit - BTW, does anyone know a cheap place in the UK that sells the 598's? They need to accept PayPal as well. Cheapest I've found is £135

Oct 7, 2012 at 1:28 PM Post #4 of 13
i just got my 598 a few days ago. coming from AD700 and AD900, although i've never had 555, i can say for sure that 598 is even better than AD700 in ways that it creates more front/rear depth. it has even more 3d dimension than AD700, which is already a highly regarded gaming headphone in the gaming community. 

the AD900 is EXTREMELY detailed for gaming, however, for the type of music you listen to, you'll hate it. it's too thin and too bright. i know it's not on your list, but thought i'd point it since i just had it and sent it back. 

i vote for 598. 

Oct 7, 2012 at 1:39 PM Post #5 of 13
i just got my 598 a few days ago. coming from AD700 and AD900, although i've never had 555, i can say for sure that 598 is even better than AD700 in ways that it creates more front/rear depth. it has even more 3d dimension than AD700, which is already a highly regarded gaming headphone in the gaming community. 

the AD900 is EXTREMELY detailed for gaming, however, for the type of music you listen to, you'll hate it. it's too thin and too bright. i know it's not on your list, but thought i'd point it since i just had it and sent it back. 

i vote for 598. 

Yeah, I was looking at the AD700, but the 598's seem to be a bit more well rounded. (And they look cooler :) ) As for the AD900's they are out of my budget anyway. Thanks for the feedback, I'm now almost completely set of the 598's :)

Oct 7, 2012 at 3:04 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:
Hah, I've pretty much talked myself into buying the 598's by now. I think I'll just go for them. Hopefully I won't have to upgrade for a long time
wink.gif

One thing im wondering is, will my Xonar DG be good enough for them? Or will I need to buy a better sound card at some point?
Thanks
Edit - BTW, does anyone know a cheap place in the UK that sells the 598's? They need to accept PayPal as well. Cheapest I've found is £135

Yes it will. The 598's are easy to drive.

Oct 7, 2012 at 4:17 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:
Hah, I've pretty much talked myself into buying the 598's by now. I think I'll just go for them. Hopefully I won't have to upgrade for a long time
wink.gif

Thanks

The Xonar DG can easily drive headphones up to 150-Ohms, (250-Ohm headphones will work somewhat decently at max volume).
As the Senn HD598 are only 50-Ohm, should work fine. Set the Xonar DG's gain to max (>64-Ohm)
Try the "Unifed Xonar Drivers" from the website Brainbit.

Creative labs has new sound cards (Z-series) come out in December, so hold off on buying any new sound card for at least a few months.

Oct 7, 2012 at 4:35 PM Post #8 of 13
The Xonar DG can easily drive headphones up to 150-Ohms, (250-Ohm headphones will work somewhat decently at max volume).
As the Senn HD598 are only 50-Ohm, should work fine. Set the Xonar DG's gain to max (>64-Ohm)
Try the "Unifed Xonar Drivers" from the website Brainbit.

Creative labs has new sound cards (Z-series) come out in December, so hold off on buying any new sound card for at least a few months.

I've heard good things about those drivers, thanks for the tip. Do you know what other settings I should use? I never knew whether to have it on 2 channel 6 channel etc... Or to have Dolby surround on with my old headset. Do you know what settings you're supposed to use? I usually left it on 2 channel with Dolby surround sound off.

Thanks

Oct 7, 2012 at 4:58 PM Post #9 of 13
i am looking into getting a Fiio e17 myself. the 598 although is rated at 50, it actually peaks at 250ohm at 100hz according to headphone.com. i have nothing else to compare at the moment, but i am going to give the e17 a try to see if it'll give it a better sonic punch consider the 250ohm peak.  

Oct 7, 2012 at 5:26 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:
I've heard good things about those drivers, thanks for the tip. Do you know what other settings I should use? I never knew whether to have it on 2 channel 6 channel etc... Or to have Dolby surround on with my old headset. Do you know what settings you're supposed to use? I usually left it on 2 channel with Dolby surround sound off.
Thanks

For music 2-channel
for movies and surround sound gaming 6-channels.
Dolby, set it for whatever sounds best.

Oct 8, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:
Allright, thanks everybody. Going to buy the 598's later this week.

awesome. My only concern is if you want bass for your electronic music. The 598s are amazing for everything, but feel a bit bass thin to me. granted as long as you are willing to EQ you can EQ for some more bass and they will be perfect. 

Oct 8, 2012 at 3:41 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:
awesome. My only concern is if you want bass for your electronic music. The 598s are amazing for everything, but feel a bit bass thin to me. granted as long as you are willing to EQ you can EQ for some more bass and they will be perfect. 

Hmm. I think it'll be okay. Only electronic I really listen to is Ratatat, and they sounded okay on my old headset, so I think it should probably be fine. I'll EQ if I need to. :)

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back