sennheiser 497s are hurting me. what can i do?
Jul 9, 2003 at 2:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

torchedlh

Head-Fier
after much deliberation, i decided to get these headphones. i got them from amazon for $55 shipped and i was very happy when i received them today. however, after an hour or so, i could feel my ears hurting. my ears got all red and such. it's not so much that the 'phones push on my head, it's just that i have big ears and they don't fit well in the cans. so my question is: what can i do to help this? am i wearing them wrong? are there pads with a bigger inner diamter that i can use to accomadte my dumbo-like ears?

thanks

Jul 9, 2003 at 4:42 AM Post #4 of 8
I have these headphones and I also have big ears (at least I think so).

When I first got them, they were hell. But now they're quite bearable... these headphones are designed to sit on your ears, not around them. You probably could take off the existing pads and put on your own with heavy modification, but for the work, I would personally look into new headphones. In fact, I'm looking for a set of Sony F1s nowadays.

Some advice though, try stretching out the 497s by placing books inbetween them overnight until they lose their tightness. Don't forget to break them in! You have to admit though, for their price, they sound pretty darn good!

Jul 9, 2003 at 7:18 AM Post #6 of 8
Probably not (especially if the books don't touch the pads), but another technique is using a basketball. If tightness isn't an issue, I wouldn't worry about it. On the other hand tightness may be if your color is changing.

Wait a few days. Even the much comfort criticized Grados grow on people. Otherwise there are lots of plastic surgeons in our area.

Jul 9, 2003 at 7:21 AM Post #7 of 8
I think the pads, and your ears, just need to be broken in. It's like a new pair of boots that give you blisters for a week but then soften up.

Jul 9, 2003 at 10:24 AM Post #8 of 8
While I agree with the previous posters about most of their points, I do think you should reconsider the angle of the headphones on your head. When I'm wearing mine, the headband is more to the front than I first expected . . . I suggest trying to make sure that the pads are colinear with your ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back