Sennheiser 280 pro upgradnig to hd 555
Feb 28, 2010 at 12:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

smileywond3r

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone, Ive been using my 280 pros for about 4 years now. They are completely shattered. All the plastic is gone and the ear cushions are ripped, but they still work.

With that being said once these break im looking for a new pair. Its funny cause I have another pair of 280 pro but think i might sell it. Im really interested in the hd 555 cause of the body, but would like to ask how long they last? Do they develop cosmetic problems in the future like the 280 pros? How long have they lasted for you guys

Ive been mainly using my 280 pro for gaming and music so may I get some suggestions?

Im also using a creative audigy 2 zs

Feb 28, 2010 at 12:51 AM Post #2 of 16
U may want to look into the successor of the HD280 professional. The HD380 pro is of better build quality. The headband is plastic on the outside with metal support structure. I have owned this set for about nine-months and never had problems with them. The HD380 is much more comfortable for exceptionally long term listening however the isolation is not as much as the 280s. I don't notice this after about ten minutes of usage.

Hope this helps

Feb 28, 2010 at 1:05 AM Post #3 of 16
I was thinking of upgrading to the HD555's too I heard you can do mods top them to make them 595's cause they use the same drivers but since I'm a newb to mods I have no idea how to do it but that would be awesome cause then I would'nt have to shell out an extra 100$ on better cans if I could just mod the 555's and get that 595 power.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 28, 2010 at 4:25 AM Post #4 of 16
Going from the 280's to the 555's you can expect a completely different feel, both in how it sounds and how it feels on your head. I've tried both and I like the 280's better. But I'm also bias towards the closed sound. Just be prepared to have a completely different sound and feel when you switch.

Feb 28, 2010 at 5:38 AM Post #5 of 16
I have had my 555's for about a week and I LOVE them.

Obviously not enough time to endure any sort of cosmetic (or otherwise) problems. They have an extremely comfortable fit on your head. The cushions on your ears are also very comfortable and do not cause sweating.

The sound is great for anything. I've tried gaming with them, I've tried basically all genre's of music, even films.

I don't think you can go wrong with the 555's. You get more than what you pay for.

Mar 2, 2010 at 1:08 AM Post #7 of 16
Do they go around your ear or sit on your ear? Ive used my 280s for about 5 years now. THey are completely wrecked. Still work though, but i think around the ear would be better no?
Quote:

Originally Posted by acid604 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have had my 555's for about a week and I LOVE them.

Obviously not enough time to endure any sort of cosmetic (or otherwise) problems. They have an extremely comfortable fit on your head. The cushions on your ears are also very comfortable and do not cause sweating.

The sound is great for anything. I've tried gaming with them, I've tried basically all genre's of music, even films.

I don't think you can go wrong with the 555's. You get more than what you pay for.

Mar 2, 2010 at 1:58 AM Post #8 of 16
The 555's are around the ear. Yep, around the ear headphones generally give you better sound and isolation.

Mar 2, 2010 at 2:00 AM Post #9 of 16
but i thought 555 was open cup? how cna they surround your ear?
Quote:

Originally Posted by NapalmK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 555's are around the ear. Yep, around the ear headphones generally give you better sound and isolation.

Mar 2, 2010 at 2:10 AM Post #10 of 16
Sorry if I was confusing. They are open headphones as they let sound in and out but circumaural (the cups go around the ear as opposed to on it).

Mar 2, 2010 at 2:18 AM Post #11 of 16
I thought closed cup meant that the pads rest on your ear as opposed to around it or am i wrong?

If the sennheisers surround your ear like the 280 then im happy
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by NapalmK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry if I was confusing. They are open headphones as they let sound in and out but circumaural (the cups go around the ear as opposed to on it).

Mar 2, 2010 at 3:49 AM Post #13 of 16
The HD555's go completely around your ears, and are EXTREMELY comfortable. I have the EH150's which are on parts of my ears, but the HD555 definitely go completely around them. Sadly. . .I have not so small ears, haha, but they still go around mine.

Mar 2, 2010 at 3:52 AM Post #14 of 16
Yes they are comfortable but they aren't durable. My hd555's have cracks from light use.
frown.gif

Mar 2, 2010 at 4:02 AM Post #15 of 16
As do my friends. . .but the cracks seem to be a hit or miss issue with the headphones. The cracks on my friends have not lessened the quality of the headphones in any way other than by aesthetics. He has been tossing around the idea of machining replacement parts from some aluminum stock, lol. Guess they would be "semi-industrial" then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back