Senn pxc150 pxc250 noisecancelling and airco noise?
Jul 23, 2006 at 2:38 PM Post #2 of 9
Hi Lisa

I guess so, that's just what they're supposed to do. I would also recommend the PXC300, it is said to sound very good.

Jul 23, 2006 at 4:58 PM Post #3 of 9
I own two of the three Senn noise cancelers, the 250s, and the 300s. I find the sound of the 300s to be ever so slightly more open than the 250s and they seem to cancel a little bit more ambient noise as well. They do not, however, seem to be any more immune to EMI interference from cell phones and the like, contrary to Sennheiser advertising.

Go for the 300s. I find they strike a good balance between reducing ambient noise and letting you hear enough, like phone ringing, or somebody yelling at you, so that you're not totally isolated from the outside world.

If you want total isolation from all ambient noise, then you should consider IEMs like the Etymotic ER4-P/S.

Cheers!

Jul 23, 2006 at 6:31 PM Post #4 of 9
Kwkarth, do you know if they isolate better than normal closed phones. I've got a pair of HD25-1s.

What I forgot to mention is that it's not so much for music. I just want noisecancelling that doesn't go into the ears. Earplugs hurt me.

I did a search and read so many different opinions. Some say it hardly cancels out noise. Maybe I should look for other types of earplugs. The foam ones hurt but maybe the silicon or wax plugs are more comfortable.

Jul 23, 2006 at 8:20 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa
Kwkarth, do you know if they isolate better than normal closed phones. I've got a pair of HD25-1s.

What I forgot to mention is that it's not so much for music. I just want noisecancelling that doesn't go into the ears. Earplugs hurt me.

I did a search and read so many different opinions. Some say it hardly cancels out noise. Maybe I should look for other types of earplugs. The foam ones hurt but maybe the silicon or wax plugs are more comfortable.

Compared to your HD-25s, the 300s probably do a better job of attenuating the low frequencies, but may not do as well at the high frequencies. You'll have to compare them to see for yourself.

If ambient attenuation is your primary goal and sound quality is secondary, I would recommend you try out a pair of BOSE QC2 orQC3s.
basshead.gif

The BOSE sound is pretty cheesy (bloated bass, honky mids, and shrill metalic highs) but they attenuate ambient noise better than any other consumer grade active noise canceling can I've ever heard.

You might also try a pair of passive hearing protectors by David Clark available at you local gun shop or shooting range.
I have a pair of the Model 10A's and they work very well. Their model 310 looks like it may be a good choice for you.

David Clark Hearing Protectors

Jul 24, 2006 at 8:05 PM Post #6 of 9
I find that PXC250's do a good job of cancelling out moderate amounts of air conditioning noise, street noise, and the like. I used to use them as my "motel room phones" while traveling, for just that reason: take away the AC noise (and other random low-level white noise), but still leave me able to hear the telephone ringing, knocks on the door, etc.

For a really noisy AC, though, I would say there's a good chance they'd be inadequate.

Jul 24, 2006 at 11:52 PM Post #7 of 9
Well, I'm in Europe so local gun shop is going to be a problem. The reason I wondered about the little senns was because circumaural phones are uncomfortable to me. So I guess the BOSE and the big hearing protectors are out. But thanks anyway Kwkarth for your help.
smily_headphones1.gif

episiarch,
sounds like the pxc250 won't do what I want them to. It's a really loud AC.

I did buy wax earplugs today to see how they work. They attenuate less than foam plugs and it's harder to get a seal, but they do not hurt my ears. So I'm going to use them for now. And hopefully the really hot weather will be over soon and I don't have to use the noisy airco for much longer.

Jul 25, 2006 at 12:40 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa
Well, I'm in Europe so local gun shop is going to be a problem. The reason I wondered about the little senns was because circumaural phones are uncomfortable to me. So I guess the BOSE and the big hearing protectors are out. But thanks anyway Kwkarth for your help.
smily_headphones1.gif

episiarch,
sounds like the pxc250 won't do what I want them to. It's a really loud AC.

I did buy wax earplugs today to see how they work. They attenuate less than foam plugs and it's harder to get a seal, but they do not hurt my ears. So I'm going to use them for now. And hopefully the really hot weather will be over soon and I don't have to use the noisy airco for much longer.

The Bose QC3 are not circumaural, they are supra aural.
International Sales for David Clark Products
International Sales for David Clark Products

Best of luck!

Jul 25, 2006 at 6:28 PM Post #9 of 9

Users who are viewing this thread

Back