Senn PX200 vs E3c vs E4c
May 11, 2006 at 7:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

jpitzo

New Head-Fier
First post :)

So I currently have a pair of Senn PX200's. I enjoy them alot, however, I'm not too fond of the overhead thing ( i have alot of hair ) and after a while they become a little uncomfortable.

I was thinking about picking up either the e3c's or e4c's.
Questions:

Is there a significant difference between the e3c and e4c? More bass response? or is the "port" kind of a gimmick.

Will I notice a night and day difference in sound quality going from my current phones to either one of these?

comfort factor of the shures?

thanks in advance guys.

May 11, 2006 at 7:45 PM Post #2 of 11
Never had the E4c so I can't comment on that. However, I used the PX200 as my main portable can for a while and currently have the E3c. Comfort-wise, the PX200 are much more comfortable, but that may just be with me and IEMs. However, if you have to take them in and out IEMs can be a bit of a pain. They're good on a plane or long commute when you want to shut everything else out, but with the PX200 you can easily take them on and off to talk to someone if necessary.

In terms of sound quality, the E3c is much better than the PX200. Although I never complained about the lack of bass in the PX200, I never found their sound very refined - fun but unsophisticated. The E3c on the other hand have a much more realistic sound, although it might be a tad biased towards the high end. It sounds great with classical but a bit thin with rock.

May 16, 2006 at 4:44 AM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpitzo
Will I notice a night and day difference in sound quality going from my current phones to either one of these?

comfort factor of the shures?

thanks in advance guys.

I agree with Spyro, as I have had all of the phones you mention I would say without a doubt that the E4's are streets ahead of the others you are considering.
I actually sold my E4's to get the "Ety's" and regret doing so..
mad.gif

May 16, 2006 at 7:05 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro
I've had all 3 and E4 crushes the other two shamelessly.

It's like choosing between Honda Civic or Toyota Corrola or Infinity Q35.

The man said it...
biggrin.gif

May 16, 2006 at 9:57 AM Post #6 of 11
I was on PX200 before I hunted around for IEMs. I have listened extensively to the E3C and E4C since they were within my price range. The Shures have smoother midrange and more detailed highs. The PX200 can be a bit forward, edgy, and harsh. What I did not find in the Shures was great bass. But if your reference is the PX200, you won't miss the bass.

On a sidenote, I opted for the Altec IM716. Though not as airy as the E4C, the bass was better. Overall, it had a balanced presentation. A bit veiled compared to higher end IEMs and cans, but among the 3 (E2C, E4C, IM716) it was my pick. That was unamped by the way.

Amped, the IM716 blossomed (sorry for being redundant with my posts.) Sadly I have not tried the Shures on amps.

May 16, 2006 at 2:00 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpitzo
First post :)

So I currently have a pair of Senn PX200's. I enjoy them alot, however, I'm not too fond of the overhead thing ( i have alot of hair ) and after a while they become a little uncomfortable.

I was thinking about picking up either the e3c's or e4c's.
Questions:

I think if you have your heart set on the Shures the thing to do is buy some tips of your own (3-flanges and foamies) and find somebody that will lend you E4's for an hour. OR: buy some e4c at a place that will let you return them). And look at those Altec im716, write a review if you can.

IEMs are tremendously subjective as to sound quality and fit/seal (which are different) and some people simply can't use them, they're too uncomfortable or sound is inadequate

May 16, 2006 at 2:32 PM Post #9 of 11
Good that you mentioned fit. Fit is crucial to getting the true sound of your iems. As a newbie, I was then disappointed with the sound of my IM716 as well as the Shures. It sounded tinny and with very little bass. But as I dared to push it deep and established a good seal, wow, what a difference. A suspect quite a number of people tried iems and quicky dismissed them as a result of improper fit ,ergo ,poor sound.

May 16, 2006 at 3:00 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gino
suspect quite a number of people tried iems and quicky dismissed them as a result of improper fit ,ergo ,poor sound.

and quickly write scathing, totally misleading reviews on Amazon, unfortunately.

May 16, 2006 at 5:52 PM Post #11 of 11
e4c is heads and shoulders above the other 2. In this instance, you do get what you pay for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back