Senn PX-100 user looking at the HD280s. Need a good, closed set for home.
May 3, 2006 at 4:35 PM Post #16 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakked1
The HD280 sound wierd to me (to my GF too for that matter). Strongly colored with a midrange emphasis

confused.gif
"Strongly Colored?" Most people around here bash them b/c they are not colored. They are often called "cold and analytical." But we all have varying opinons and that's a good thing....right?.
rolleyes.gif
280smile.gif
icon10.gif

hope the k81 DJs serve you well!
icon10.gif

May 3, 2006 at 4:50 PM Post #17 of 33
Always late to the party...

The HD280 really is a much better headphone than people give it credit for if it's properly taken care of. Proper burn-in (50 hrs minimum) and a coat or two of Blue Tak will turn it into IMHO one of the finer sounding headphones at its price point if you're looking for crystal clear detail and good instrument separation.

It's not a groove phone--it's more applicable for classical and jazz if you really like picking out all the instruments in the ensemble. Home theater use would probably be better sought elsewhere. You probably made the right decision.

Team HD280 is a more persecuted group than it should rightfully be, however...

May 3, 2006 at 5:00 PM Post #18 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by pencechp
Always late to the party...

The HD280 really is a much better headphone than people give it credit for if it's properly taken care of. Proper burn-in (50 hrs minimum) and a coat or two of Blue Tak will turn it into IMHO one of the finer sounding headphones at its price point if you're looking for crystal clear detail and good instrument separation.

It's not a groove phone--it's more applicable for classical and jazz if you really like picking out all the instruments in the ensemble. Home theater use would probably be better sought elsewhere. You probably made the right decision.

Team HD280 is a more persecuted group than it should rightfully be, however...

Yeah, it'll definately be used more for movies and gaming, so that little extra bass is probably what I'm looking for. I may go with something more delicate in the future for my MP3 player to replace my PX100s and Shure E2cs. I may take my E2Cs back altogether if I find that the AKGs offer enough isolation for my usual needs. I like the Shures, but the process of insuring you get a good seal everytime you put them on and their general lack substance in the bass department is a tad dissapointing.

If anything, Headroom seems to have a fairly liberal return policy and if the AKGs let me down, I'll return them and give the 280's a go.

May 3, 2006 at 5:05 PM Post #19 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by tedtropy
I like the Shures, but the process of insuring you get a good seal everytime you put them on and their general lack substance in the bass department is a tad dissapointing.

My insistence on constructing a rig around my HD280s is a combination of (a) wanting great detail and highs for classical listening, (b) needing MASSIVE isolation as I live in a college dorm, and (c) just not at all liking the IEMs I've tried. The whole canalphone thing just doesn't do it for me, precisely for the reasons you mentioned. I know there are benefits once you get used to it, but I just couldn't get a reproducible seal or get over the generally odd feeling of having something jammed that far into my ear canal...

May 3, 2006 at 5:13 PM Post #20 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by pencechp
My insistence on constructing a rig around my HD280s is a combination of (a) wanting great detail and highs for classical listening, (b) needing MASSIVE isolation as I live in a college dorm, and (c) just not at all liking the IEMs I've tried. The whole canalphone thing just doesn't do it for me, precisely for the reasons you mentioned. I know there are benefits once you get used to it, but I just couldn't get a reproducible seal or get over the generally odd feeling of having something jammed that far into my ear canal...

Yeah, I can definately relate. I love the amount of isolation the Shures provide, and realize that I'm not going to get anything of that level out of closed cans, but getting them in properly is always abit of a process and you basically have to be doing zero any kind of movement (be it walking, and especially eating or drinking) or you get a really bad muffled version of that noise cutting into the sound. I've just now gotten acustomed to just how far you have to shove the suckers into your ear canal - I was abit too freaked out after initially buying them to get the appropriate seal. The reason I need closed cans is just the result of apartment living. I can't always have my TV at the volume I prefer, plus I'm right by the pool and get some lovely ambiant noise from people that I'd prefer to block out at times. The Shures certainly do that, but don't offer the body of sound nor comfort I'd ultimately prefer.

May 3, 2006 at 6:58 PM Post #21 of 33
I've gotten great results with with all 3 headphones.

Where I live the HD280 is half the price of the DT250 though.

If you have a small head the HD280 PRO doesn't have that vice clamp
feeling. I find them very comfortable. They need 200 hours of burn in and thereafter can be equalized (or not) according to taste.

I have even gotten very good results using the HD280 PRO on some of the older more powerful portable CD players (unamped) without equalization! However, the newer portable CD players don't seem to have enough power (unamped) to drive them properly.

The HD280 PRO even works amazingly well with electronically synthesized surround sound.

May 3, 2006 at 7:52 PM Post #22 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.Sade
I've gotten great results with with all 3 headphones.

Where I live the HD280 is half the price of the DT250 though.

If you have a small head the HD280 PRO doesn't have that vice clamp
feeling. I find them very comfortable. They need 200 hours of burn in and thereafter can be equalized (or not) according to taste.

I have even gotten very good results using the HD280 PRO on some of the older more powerful portable CD players (unamped) without equalization! However, the newer portable CD players don't seem to have enough power (unamped) to drive them properly.

The HD280 PRO even works amazingly well with electronically synthesized surround sound.

If I find the AKGs don't work out for my situation, I'll likely be returning them towards the 280s. Do you find that they have enough bass after burn-in to, say, keep your typical action movie/game enjoyable? For comparison's sake, I find the bass of my existing PX100s to be just enough as to not be annoying.

May 3, 2006 at 8:19 PM Post #24 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by tedtropy
If I find the AKGs don't work out for my situation, I'll likely be returning them towards the 280s. Do you find that they have enough bass after burn-in to, say, keep your typical action movie/game enjoyable? For comparison's sake, I find the bass of my existing PX100s to be just enough as to not be annoying.

THe HD280 pros are polite headphones. They have very nice clarity but the bass isn't as punchy as my SR-60s, but the bass is very clean.

May 3, 2006 at 8:26 PM Post #25 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Duke_Of_Eli
THe HD280 pros are polite headphones. They have very nice clarity but the bass isn't as punchy as my SR-60s, but the bass is very clean.

I'd agree completely with that assessment. Even with hard rock, you're not going to feel kicked in the face by your HD280s. If you're looking for serious explosive power, the Beyer DT770s, or DT250/80s are probably a better fit. Clarity is the order of the day on the 280s--high, mid, and low.

May 3, 2006 at 8:42 PM Post #26 of 33
Quote:

polite is an understatement. they either need a very good amp or a lot of breaking in...my experience with the 280 was less than stellar. they may be accurate, but certainly not the most fun cans out there...

May 3, 2006 at 8:53 PM Post #27 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by beedee
confused.gif
"Strongly Colored?" Most people around here bash them b/c they are not colored. They are often called "cold and analytical." But we all have varying opinons and that's a good thing....right?.
rolleyes.gif
280smile.gif
icon10.gif

hope the k81 DJs serve you well!
icon10.gif

Colored in the sense of tonality... there is some wierd resonance or something but they sounded significantly less "natural" than equivalent headphones that I have tried, and compared to real-life instruments. Specifically, closed, muffled and plasticy were the attributes that I didn't like (I realized they're closed, but they especially emphasized the negative traits of closed phones). If you are looking for a clean sound that emphasizes the midrange, I would strongly recommend the K271S over the HD280.. its only about a $50 difference if you shop around.

May 3, 2006 at 8:55 PM Post #28 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino
polite is an understatement. they either need a very good amp or a lot of breaking in...my experience with the 280 was less than stellar. they may be accurate, but certainly not the most fun cans out there...

I'd agree with that, but once they are properly burned in it's great enjoyment. They're best used for less punchy music.

May 3, 2006 at 8:59 PM Post #29 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakked1
The HD280 sound wierd to me (to my GF too for that matter). Strongly colored with a midrange emphasis. I JUST got a pair of DT250-250 and they sound really good for the $... but need a good amp. DT250-80 sound nice too for the money... either about $150 from bhphotovideo.com

actually the reason they sound wierd to some people is that they are very nuetral.

May 3, 2006 at 9:02 PM Post #30 of 33
Quote:

I suppose you could say I want to fell that "punch" when the action I'm watching on screen would dictate it, even if it's at a slight sacrafice in sound quality/clarity. I don't want constantly muddy, over-bassy sound, but want some definite thump when the situation calls for it. At the same time, it'd be nice if things like dialog sound natural. I know I'm probably expecting too much from ~$100 cans, but I'm wondering if the AKG's will be the closest balance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back