Senn PMX100 best active headphone under $50?
Feb 26, 2009 at 3:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

OogeleyBoogeley

100+ Head-Fier
Hey all,

Having had my UM1's bite the dust, I have decided to return to the world of portable headphones. I have owned KSC35 & KSC75, but they broke (I only recently realized about the lifetime warranty) and I would like something a bit more balanced in sound.

The Koss both sound the way that an untrained ear would find to be good. Lots of deep bass, shining highs and mids that get lost in the middle. I have been looking at the Sennheiser PMX100, because I would like a headphone that I can wear with a hat on and had a more balanced sound. I love the sound of my HD580s.

Are the PMX100 the best I can do for under $50, or are there better options for another active, non-iem? Thanks!

Feb 26, 2009 at 4:07 PM Post #2 of 4
If you're already like the Sennheiser sound signature, why not take the PX100? I like 'em a lot, they have lots of bass and no sibilance at all (that might be caused by the rolled-off highs
rolleyes.gif
) and some good midrange.

BTW, what do you mean by "active" headphones? Afraid you might find some "unactive" headphones?
wink.gif

Feb 26, 2009 at 4:46 PM Post #4 of 4
Since the PMX100 is the same thing as the PX100, but with different band, one thing about the PX100 is that if you are used to the "direct" sound for the UM1 or most canal phones, then you will find the PX100 to have a very airy, non-direct sound. When I had mine, I kept needing to put my hands on the earpads and push them up against my head so I can hear better. The sound output just sort of floats out the driver toward your ears, if you know what I mean.

I also was never satisfied with the highs -- pretty rolled off above 8-10K. Combining the strong (but not particularly focused) bass they have with the slight highs, they were just not lively enough for me. It's been 20 years since I've heard the KSC75, but for $15 on Amazon.com, it may be a un-beatable value for the buck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back