Senn plugs; what to do, epoxy or glue?
Jan 22, 2006 at 11:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

.: ZMN :.

Head-Fier
Almost done, just need to close the plugs.

What would be the best to use? I have read about epoxy, but I guess that can also be quite messy. Would glue suffice?

Any thoughts?

2006-01-21_Senn_connectors_soldered.jpg

Jan 22, 2006 at 11:25 AM Post #2 of 14
I think epoxy would probably bond much better to the connectors. Glue would still probably enable you to tear out the wires.

Jan 22, 2006 at 1:14 PM Post #4 of 14
There's 2 types. 5 Min epoxy and 24 hour epoxy. For this purpose the 5 min one will do. This is some serious bonding power so don't glue any body parts together.

THe way I did my parts was use a plastic glue gun. It basically melts the glue in and cools hard a few seconds later. The real advantage is the glue turns into a lightly mallable plastic so using a scaple I then cut it to the normal shape of the back of the plug. If I put some heatshrink around it no one would be the wiser to how I got the cables in
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 22, 2006 at 1:33 PM Post #5 of 14
I think I have access to a hot glue-gun, and will do a little test first to see if it hardens out sufficiently.

Looking at how the cables fit in the plug I'd better use something rigid to make sure they stay in place.

Thanks for the advise.

Jan 22, 2006 at 1:39 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by .: ZMN :.

What the heck did you cut those with... your teeth?
wink.gif
something like Araldite should do the job of sealing those connectors up nicely.

Jan 22, 2006 at 2:02 PM Post #7 of 14
What can I say, I was desperate...
icon10.gif

I used a utility knife to remove most of the plastic and a drill to remove the old cable. Then used a 15W soldering iron with an old tip to melt (not burn) some residual plastic, especially surrounding the pins.

2006-01-21_Senn_connectors_opened1.jpg

I admit, it looks horrible at close up, but these HD600 plugs are small. At least compare to the HD650 ones:

senn-plugs.png

Jan 22, 2006 at 9:11 PM Post #8 of 14
I'd first take a soft-bristled toothbrush and some rubbing alcohol and clean out the connector shell and wire insulation of debris, oil from fingers on them, etc for best bond.

I doubt hot-glue is going to be sturdy enough, epoxy would do better.

Unless you're in a real rush, slow-set epoxy works best, IMO, in addition to being stronger. With the slow-set epoxy you have more time to pour it in, work out any air pockets, pop bubbles that rise to the surface, and have it settle to a nice flat surface. Remember than "5 minute" epoxy isn't workable for the whole 5 minutes, some isn't even very workable for 1 minute after mixing and that's cutting it close.

As for types, there are several... personally I'd buy some you think you can use for several projects. Clear epoxy looks better in some uses but probably not on that, and tends to have lower strength. Good ole JDWeld would probably do fine.

Jan 23, 2006 at 12:56 AM Post #10 of 14
I doubt it would be sturdy enough to pry the cable out with pliers, but my recabling job has lasted for about a year, and i'm one of thoes clumsy oafs who (thanks to having a 4m headphone cord) constantly steps on the cable or sits on it with the chair as i'm getting up. The plugs have been yanked out of the headhpones numerous times but it's still holding.

For any slightly clumbsier then normal situation i think that areldite or other epoxys are overkill.

Jan 23, 2006 at 1:04 AM Post #11 of 14
What type of "glue" are you talking about? If it's something like Goop or E6000 (very similar formulas, same company) it'll be pretty rock solid. If it's Elmer's School Glue...not really.

I would just go with some cheap 24 hour epoxy. You can find it at any hardware store for a few dollars and will hold very well, and is easy to use.

Jan 23, 2006 at 1:11 PM Post #12 of 14
I used superglue to stick mine in and there is absolutely no chance of pulling the wires off the connectors. The only problem is that the hollowed out connectors are now quite flimsy and don't really have a solid grip when plugged in the phones. Next time I will fill with epoxy.

Feb 13, 2008 at 2:04 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by .: ZMN :. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Almost done, just need to close the plugs.

What would be the best to use? I have read about epoxy, but I guess that can also be quite messy. Would glue suffice?

Any thoughts?

the thicker pins are the signals? and the thinner ones ground?
or is it the other way around?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back