Senn MX450, Panasonic RP HJE50, and Sharp HP-MD33
Mar 24, 2005 at 11:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

CloudySkies

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, I just received my Senn MX450s and I really like them a lot and they are a good match for my iAudio M3. They have a fair amount of oomph and good overall tonal characteristics, and they also seem to fit my ears 100% perfectly. But I was also wondering if either the Panasonic HJE50 or Sharp MD33 in ear phones(these are both canal phones/in ears and not ear buds, right?) are a signifigant step up from the MX450s. I wanted to get a pair of in ears anyway just for isolation purposes and to have another option besides clip-ons or ear buds, but I'm not too sure if I should spend the extra cash on the Sharps or go with the Panasonics. I like a warm/balanced/tight/detailed/sparkley sound as compared to the more bloated, mid-scooped and sloppy sounding super bass-heavy sounding phones out there. I'd appreciate any oppinions, comments, or online store suggestions. Thanks!

Mar 24, 2005 at 11:45 PM Post #2 of 19
First, yes, they are both canalphones.

Second, I assume you didn't suggest the Sony headphones because they are bass-heavy and whatnot. I believe the Sharps are described as being the same way, if a bit less exaggerated, and that's only after "modding" them. The Panasonics are the only ones in this category I regularly see described as "balanced" around here; I ordered them myself. Cheapest black set I found was on EBay - some "buy it now" auction.

Mar 25, 2005 at 12:23 AM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rodent
I have the hje50 and md33, the md33s seem like a good fit for you.

im in the same dillema this guy is in and i really dont want to order from japan and spend 40 bucks. so the question is will i really be missing that much with the hje50 compared to the md33 (worth the extra 20 bucks
rolleyes.gif
)? Im would be transfering from the 450's as well so any info on this thread is very important in my decision on what headphone im going to buy next.

PS. do the panasonics leak much or even at all when they are in your ear?

Mar 25, 2005 at 3:56 AM Post #5 of 19
Related issue: Ear buds just don't fit in my ears... so between the KSC75 (I've heard the 35's) and the HJE50's which one sounds better for long periods of rock listening? Thanks.

Mar 25, 2005 at 4:06 AM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Angaria
Related issue: Ear buds just don't fit in my ears... so between the KSC75 (I've heard the 35's) and the HJE50's which one sounds better for long periods of rock listening? Thanks.

Haven't heard the HJE50's, but the KSC75's are an excellent choice for rock music (Dio and Iron Maiden sound full and crisp through them).

Up the Irons!

Mar 25, 2005 at 4:16 AM Post #7 of 19
Well, you're ultimately ordering from Japan either way as neither phone makes it to the US short of imports as yet. However, having searched through the backlogs of the forum, it appears that when anyone bother to bring up the HJE50s, they compare reasonably well to the Sharps. I don't recall any instance where someone said the Panasonics were far worse than the Sharps - nothing to suggest a $20 difference.

Do note that no person at any time recommended the unmodded Sharp headphones - if you get them, you will need to constantly use the 4 to 3pin converter and put fluff inside the things. Apparently it's simple, but something I personally would rather avoid.

Mar 25, 2005 at 7:44 AM Post #8 of 19
I have the HJE50s, the KSC75s and the MX450s, and in my opinion, the KSC75 sounds the best, with the MX450 in second and the HJE50s in last. IMO, the MX450 sounds a lot better than the Panasonics. The Panas are very raw sounding, have quite a bit of sibiliance and is lacking in a full or deep kind of sound. Its bass does not help in that regard either. It sounds like the sound is just "there." Somewhat tinny as well. If the Pana is quite similar to the MD33, then I'm surprised people like the MD33 that much. What I do love about the Panasonic is that its very portable, isolates well, and they stay in my ears like nothing else!

I wonder if there are any canalphones that have the soundstage the KSC75s do... but that may be for another thread
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 25, 2005 at 10:43 AM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by jirou
I have the HJE50s, the KSC75s and the MX450s, and in my opinion, the KSC75 sounds the best, with the MX450 in second and the HJE50s in last. IMO, the MX450 sounds a lot better than the Panasonics. The Panas are very raw sounding, have quite a bit of sibiliance and is lacking in a full or deep kind of sound. Its bass does not help in that regard either. It sounds like the sound is just "there." Somewhat tinny as well. If the Pana is quite similar to the MD33, then I'm surprised people like the MD33 that much. What I do love about the Panasonic is that its very portable, isolates well, and they stay in my ears like nothing else!

I wonder if there are any canalphones that have the soundstage the KSC75s do... but that may be for another thread
smily_headphones1.gif

My take is that the Pana's are quite similar to the Sharp's, but more neutral and less musical or fun. The Panasonic's can sometimes be a bit too much in the highs, and the sharps have some more midbass, i think, which makes them more fun. If I were to choose between the hje50s + 20 bucks and the md33s, I'm pretty sure I'd take the md33s. I like them very much, they make music very enjoyable to listen to. They're more fun and enjoyable than my HFI700, but I'm no audiophile either.

I tried the md33 mod on the Panasonic's just now, pretty quickly, and I believe it made them sound more like the Sharps, little more bass and a little less highs. Don't really trust myself about these things though, or anyone else, placebo you know.

Mar 25, 2005 at 4:00 PM Post #10 of 19
Comparing MX450 to HJE50 it could be said that the MX450 are more ballanced overall. IMO HJE50 need a good deal of equalization to sound good. Once it's done they sound quite good, much better than say Sony EX71. MX450 on, the other hand, sound good without equalization. They can be improved by incressing low bass and perhaps dropping the high mids a notch, but if you compare Pannas to the Senns without an equalization the Senns are more pleasant.

Mar 25, 2005 at 7:04 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by blr
Comparing MX450 to HJE50 it could be said that the MX450 are more ballanced overall. IMO HJE50 need a good deal of equalization to sound good. Once it's done they sound quite good, much better than say Sony EX71. MX450 on, the other hand, sound good without equalization. They can be improved by incressing low bass and perhaps dropping the high mids a notch, but if you compare Pannas to the Senns without an equalization the Senns are more pleasant.

equalization?? how do you equalize the hje50?

Mar 25, 2005 at 11:11 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by sirauron
equalization?? how do you equalize the hje50?

You can use iTunes or some other computer MP3 player or if you have an iRiver mp3 player you can use that. For my iPod I made my own EQ preset using the iTunes equalizer for my HJE50s and put that preset on all my songs on my iPod. However, I don't seem to notice much difference when listening to my iPod. Connected to my computer, however, I can readily tell the difference using the EQ preset and it sounds much better. Perhaps it is because I have a 1st gen iPod and it's getting a bit long in the tooth or perhaps it has a crappy amp. I hope it sounds better when I upgrade to the 5 gen iPods ;D

Mar 26, 2005 at 12:11 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

You can use iTunes or some other computer MP3 player or if you have an iRiver mp3 player you can use that. For my iPod I made my own EQ preset using the iTunes equalizer for my HJE50s and put that preset on all my songs on my iPod. However, I don't seem to notice much difference when listening to my iPod. Connected to my computer, however, I can readily tell the difference using the EQ preset and it sounds much better. Perhaps it is because I have a 1st gen iPod and it's getting a bit long in the tooth or perhaps it has a crappy amp. I hope it sounds better when I upgrade to the 5 gen iPods ;D

Thats because your custom EQ settings are not transferred to the Ipod. The Itunes equalizer can only be used on the computer. However, you can select the preset EQ (eg. Bass Booster) in Itunes for your songs and these settings will take precedence over the preset in the iPod.

Mar 26, 2005 at 2:03 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by RonTheMan
Thats because your custom EQ settings are not transferred to the Ipod. The Itunes equalizer can only be used on the computer. However, you can select the preset EQ (eg. Bass Booster) in Itunes for your songs and these settings will take precedence over the preset in the iPod.

Yes, that is what I did. I created my own preset in iTunes, got info on all my songs and changed the default EQ settting to my setting. That is supposed to work. I know you can't transfer multiple EQ settings and choose it in the iPod, but you're supposed to be able to create a preset and apply it to an individual song. I guess I didn't explain it very well. But yeah, I did that, but I'm not sure it worked.

Sep 3, 2005 at 2:08 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Yes, that is what I did. I created my own preset in iTunes, got info on all my songs and changed the default EQ settting to my setting. That is supposed to work. I know you can't transfer multiple EQ settings and choose it in the iPod, but you're supposed to be able to create a preset and apply it to an individual song. I guess I didn't explain it very well. But yeah, I did that, but I'm not sure it worked.

....you cannot use user-created EQ in your ipod...only those preset ones in the ipod and itunes are transferable. The previous post was pretty clear about that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back