Senn MX 85 disappoint, need replacement
Feb 25, 2010 at 7:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

metman

New Head-Fier
I've been looking for some headphones that would stand up to jogging and biking (sweat resistant, do a good job of staying in place) for a while, and finally decided to pull the trigger on the MX 85s. Well, they are pretty poor. They stay in my ears well, are sweat resistant, and I like that they aren't as isolating as my SuperFi 5 Pro's (which I like a lot) which is nice when out on a busy path or street where it is good to hear what is going on around you as well as what you are listening to. However, they just sound flat and crummy; perhaps I've been spoiled by my UEs, but there is no going back now. They also aren't very comfortable; they just have too many hard bits that press against my ear.

Anyway, I'm looking to find something that will at least approach the UE sound quality while still being exercize friendly and be slightly more comfortable than the MX 85s. I wear glasses as well, so the twist to fit, ear hanger, and IEM style work best for me since they don't generally conflict with the arms of my glasses like over the head or behind the neck phones do. I've been concidering the Senn CX 680s and MX 680s, but can't find very much reliable info on them, and besides, the MX 85s got thumbs up for sound quality in lots of reviews, so I'm not really in to trusting those reviews any more. Does anyone have any suggestions, or am I pretty much looking for the impossible (mid-high range headphone-quality sound in a sport-friendly package)?

Feb 25, 2010 at 8:36 PM Post #3 of 7
Those are definitely a contender. I'm suprised there is something at that price point with respectable sound quality though. Also, do the clips do a good job staying in place? And how would those stand up to sweat? It looks like they have foam earpads, which to me suggests they would get funky and crusty.

Feb 26, 2010 at 1:09 AM Post #4 of 7
They stay in place fine for me. I used to use clip-ons on the move a lot and never had a problem. They come with one spare set of foam cushions and Koss replacement cushions (~$8 for 3 sets) fit them as well. However my 3-year-old Koss cushions just get a little shampoo bath and then they're good as new.

Feb 26, 2010 at 2:30 AM Post #5 of 7
Well, I'd like a few more suggestions, and maybe some opinion on the Senn/Adidas line in general would be nice, but I think I'm leaning more and more towards the Yuins at the moment.

Feb 26, 2010 at 10:03 PM Post #6 of 7
No other comments from anyone?

(By the way, this site is a den of evil rotten evil. I've just been browsing around for the last couple days, and am already saying to myself "well, maybe I can justify spending $300 I don't have on new buds...."
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Feb 27, 2010 at 12:39 AM Post #7 of 7
Maybe the Senn PX100? Solidly built, open headphones that aren't that expensive. The PX200 isolates better (but from what I've read sounds a tad worse) and the PMX series is around the back of the head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back