Senn ie800 vs Klipsch x11i
Mar 22, 2014 at 3:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

shadow82x

New Head-Fier
So I'm considering 2 earphones, with quite a difference in price. I'm looking at the Sennheiser ie800 and the klipsch x11i. These seem to be the best, most portable and comfortable earphones suitable for me. I'm not into anything bulky or uncomfortable and prefer an earphone with a light/small profile with big sound. With that said what would members from Head-Fi recommend? A pretty big downfall to the ie800 in my opinion is the fact it doesn't have a remote but if the sound quality greatly surpasses that perhaps I could justify the price. 

I do pay attention to detail in music (as I do preform music myself) and I prefer a punchier, more predominant bass typically. But I'll also be using these earphones casually for gaming, walking around campus, and watching movies.

Mar 22, 2014 at 5:56 PM Post #4 of 31
The ie800s are what I would suggest as well... It provides an above average bass while providing clear detail (most of the time at least) fitting your sonic preferences. Also I'm pretty sure the klipsch x11s probably won't come close to the performance of an ie800.

I'm also not entirely sure why the remote might be a big factor for you but the k3003i's have an inline remote along with changeable filters to increase base, or treble and they were a pair of iems I was seriously considering between the ie800. 

Mar 24, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #7 of 31
IE800 is not easy to drive. If your source is not very powerful, I am not sure IE800 is suitable for you. With a powerful source, IE800 can give you a great bass and detail. You should also consider the new JVC FX850.

Mar 24, 2014 at 3:48 PM Post #8 of 31
Honestly I don't have a powerful source. And don't plan on getting one soon. (I like detail and great sound but I'm not that extreme) I took a look at the JVC model...how would one go about buying that? Appears it's japan only and could pose an issue for warrenty?

Mar 24, 2014 at 4:01 PM Post #9 of 31
Honestly I don't have a powerful source. And don't plan on getting one soon. (I like detail and great sound but I'm not that extreme) I took a look at the JVC model...how would one go about buying that? Appears it's japan only and could pose an issue for warrenty?

IE800 is not a bad earphone with a relatively weak source. The sound (with a weak source) just does not worth the money. I think the JVC one is quite new. It may start selling internationally in the future. Contacting the local JVC dealer may be a good idea.

You can also consider some hybrid earphones which I think may suit your taste. For example, dunu dn1000

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:33 PM Post #10 of 31

IE800 is not a bad earphone with a relatively weak source. The sound (with a weak source) just does not worth the money. I think the JVC one is quite new. It may start selling internationally in the future. Contacting the local JVC dealer may be a good idea.

You can also consider some hybrid earphones which I think may suit your taste. For example, dunu dn1000

Hmm so you wouldn't recommend on ie800 on a weak source? Looks like you have some deals where you can get it for $600-700 and not the retail of 1000. 

Mar 25, 2014 at 6:49 AM Post #11 of 31
  Hmm so you wouldn't recommend on ie800 on a weak source? Looks like you have some deals where you can get it for $600-700 and not the retail of 1000. 

If it is $600, I think you can consider it. IE800 is a great earphone and I personally love it (but it is too expensive for me
frown.gif
). It just does not perform as well as it should with a weak source. Is your source a phone?

Mar 27, 2014 at 8:36 AM Post #13 of 31
Happened to tried the the whole X Series from Klipsch. I have Senn ie80, Sony XBA-H3 and RockItSound R50 with me. I find X4, X7 and X11 pretty similar, just that it gets a little clearer as the price goes higher. Great bass for a single BA but it left me somewhat want more for all range (Low, Mid and High).

I find R50 treble and mid much better than than the X Series, though X11 has an upper hand here for bass.

Sony XBA-H3 has better bass and treble than X11 but the mid is a little distant or veiled.

Senn ie80 has better bass, better mids but the treble left me wanting more as compared to the last 2. Pitting it against x11, i think both treble can be better. Overall, ie80 feels better than x11.

Looking at the specs and some reading online, i think ie800 will be better, though the price definitely calls for a positive difference for ie800.

I feel that x11 (or the whole X-Series) is a single driver BA that is tuned to sound like a dynamic, thus losing audiences from all sides (dynamic, BA and hybrid). And, paying around S$520 for a single driver BA, my advice is try out Westone UM30Pro, which i happened to audit, you likely to get a better deal and sound.

If you happened to like the sound signature of Klipsch's X-Series, i think the X4 & X7 are more value for money, as the marginal difference don't justify paying a hefty S$250 more.

Mar 27, 2014 at 10:06 AM Post #14 of 31
I owned all of the X series before, and I can say that there are noticeable differences between them. The X4i has a distinctively warmer sound, with the highs being laid back.
The X7i is a more neutral earphone and IMO has the greatest clarity between the 3. However if you enjoy a more impactful bass the X7i is not for you.
I would say the X11i has a wholesome sound, with a slight bass boost compared to the rest in the X series. Another plus point is that it is one of the lightest earphones out there, so comfort is no problem.

I recommend that if possible you should try the earphones that you are planning to get and make a decision then. Most importantly you must enjoy what you are hearing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back