senn ie8 and magic box fustration!
Jan 22, 2009 at 12:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Anouk

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello everyone,
I have tried the shure se530in the past because i needed sealed headphones for on the go and then iems are the ideal solution. But I could not get the sleeves off (i am blind and not so good with small finicky things) but neither could my sighted friends. I liked the shure but it was difficult for me to clean/maintain and i got problems with the sound after a few hours listening, harshness/congested sound, bass did not sound right... The eartips became uncomfortable... So i sold the shures and went on to conventional sealed headphones instead.
But now with the new dynamic driver senn ie8 and the westone 3 with custom sleeves i thought i might try my hand at iems again, and since the senns are a bit cheaper in europe then the usa, i thought i might try those.
I bought them on monday froma local internet store and they arrived today. I just unpacked them in fact and the reason why i am writing this that i want to express my frustration with the way sen packed this stuff. It took me ages to unpack it and find everything. I could not find the cleaning tool earhooks at first and i had to dismantle the whole case... Well i think i have got everyh=thing now.. I wonder why are some of the tips stuck onto some kind of foam bed and some ar put into a case? Maybe the ones on the foam are the most often used ones? I just put the senn on, i have not found yet how you can remove the cable. I am wearing the senn with the cable down and sticking a bit towards the front of my face. I am using the standard sleeves for now. The sound is very good, especially for an iem, isolation does not seem to be so good now though there is no one in the room with me to test it now. The dont seem to fet that securely into my ear/might fall out easily. I am tempted to push them further into my ears but then the sound goes all inside my head so i pull them a bit further out again.
Well I will go listen to some music now instead of typing...
Greetings, Anouk,

Jan 22, 2009 at 3:10 AM Post #2 of 12
yeah...IE8 isolation is a common problem...I ordered one from UK too, will see how it goes...

Jan 22, 2009 at 8:19 AM Post #4 of 12
I received mine yesterday, packaging to me was fine, opened it in about 1 minute and found all the parts in another minute, but I guess I am just good that way
wink.gif

Isolation - I am using T-400s and I think the isolation is on par with my other IEMs (but have not yet had extensive outside listening).

After 8 hours of burn in, the sound stage came out to play, and is really pretty amazing to me!
atsmile.gif

Jan 22, 2009 at 9:27 AM Post #5 of 12
Hello all, Yes i guess i have never been good with packaging lol. I have them burning in now and i listened to them yesterday evening with the default tips and default bass setting. I think the soundstage is pretty good, for an iem. The mids are just as i want them to be on any headphone! The highs might have been a little clearer, but at least they are not harsh. The bass is VERY punchy and nice, but not overwhelming. I guess the default bass setting is the lowest, if so then i will leave it this way. With the shure se530 i had problems with the bass, it just didnt sound realistic to me, just too big for my head. Soundstage was not that good, and it sounded harsh after a while, i got listeners fatigue.. The iems also became uncomfortable after a few hours. I only tried them with the default tips though... I guess the seal was better, though i have never had a vacuum seal with any iem before.
I wonder, where did you buy the comply tips? I suppose you cant buy them in europe? I would like to buy them too and get them fast.
Did you also try the comply t500?
Thanks
Greetings, Anouk,

Jan 22, 2009 at 9:46 AM Post #6 of 12
I am willing to sacrifice little isolation for larger than life soundstage.

i wud rather tell the person next to me to shut up than get a sealed IEM....i feel nauseated with Sealed fit.

Jan 22, 2009 at 9:58 AM Post #7 of 12
Hello, Well, i can get the sound of the ie8 in a normal headphone, and since this is an iem i personally think seal is very important. I mean, thats why i choose iems. If i want a good sealed fullsize headphone (but not as sealed as the iem) i would use the esw10jpn instead..
I hope it would be possible to get custom sleeves for the ie8 as it is for the westone 3...
Greetings, Anouk,

Jan 22, 2009 at 12:06 PM Post #10 of 12
Hello, well i have tried some more of the included tips, luckily they are easy to put on/remove. I am now wearing the ones made of the harder material, that changes form if you press it and stays that way. I think the biggest tips fit me the best, but still there is not much isolation. The sound is good though but i really hope that the comply tips will fix the isolation issues. I have them with the cable over the ears now which seems to give the most secure fit... They do not fall out easily now.
Greetings, Anouk,

Jan 22, 2009 at 12:15 PM Post #11 of 12
Well, i guess if inally put them in right, i used to put them in but part if the driver stuck out of my ear.Now i put them in and the driver sort of covers the outer ear now and it does not stick out at all. The cable goes over the ear. Not that this gives any better isolation but i guess this is the right way to put them in..
Greetings, Anouk,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back