Senn HD800 Paired With A Desktop Amp
Mar 20, 2010 at 2:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Paganini Alfredo

500+ Head-Fier
I'm a beginner and started off with an AKG K701 amped with a total bithead. Started having personal problems with that setup because they were just so harsh on my ears (the treble). So I broke down and bought a HR Desktop amp along with a DPS and while they did sound a lot better the treble was still so annoying I took another plunge and tried out a different phone; the Senn HD650. Love it! The only thing is I "know" there is better headphones out there now, namely the HD800 and Beyer T1. I am content with my current setup and the 650s but I just get hot and bothered thinking it could sound BETTER.

So... first off is it worth it and buy a newer line of headphone? Secondly, I was wondering if my regular Desktop could commandeer the newer cans decently, otherwise no point in buying them at all.

Just looking for some advice and opinions. Thank you.

Mar 27, 2010 at 1:00 AM Post #2 of 9
Hey, I am sure you'll have no problem driving the HD800's with the Desktop Amp.
I wish I remember where, but somewhere on this forum, I read an opinion about the HD-650's sounding better than the HD-800's. Now I am sure that is just someones opinion, and I don't know who that is, but perhaps you should find a way to listen to them before spending serious cash on 800's. HD-650's are dirt cheap in comparison.

For me, I can't see how a headphone can sound $1100.00 better than the 650's. I love mine.

Mar 27, 2010 at 4:10 AM Post #3 of 9
The thing about the HD800s is it almost seems like they don't plateau or hit heavy diminishing returns until you get into VERY expensive territory.

I'm sure the Desktop would drive them fine, but at the same time, I'm sure the Ultra Desktop would drive them much better. And don't even get me into tube amps and excruciatingly expensive DACs.

I've heard HD800s on various levels of systems, and every time the price went up, the performance went up a surprising amount according to price. The HD800s are very sensitive and revealing, so they will let your gear shine. Whereas in most systems where the headphones will be the bottleneck (generally when people spend the same amount on an amp, and again on a DAC, or more, as they did on their headphones), with the HD800s it seems to always be the system acting as the bottleneck.

What I guess I'm trying to say is, when you've got a system that makes you ask "Will this be enough?", whatever answer you settle on, you're always going to be wondering what else is out there. When you're buying a hard to drive, neutral and revealing headphone like the T1s or HD800s, IMO you're better off waiting until you can upgrade to something that won't make you ask that question first.

Alternatively, you could get the HD800s, enjoy them immensely, and upgrade the amp/DAC later on if you aren't satisfied or are itching to hear what more you can get out of them.

Mar 27, 2010 at 5:02 AM Post #4 of 9
According to review, if you find AKG 701 treble annyoing (and I find it painful), you wont enjoy HD 800 that much, cause it has bit more of treble as AKG and bit less bass as AKG..

Tough it probably can be tuned a bit by equipment..

Mar 27, 2010 at 2:20 PM Post #5 of 9
Thanks guys.

I've decided the best route for me to go is to just enjoy what I have right now, cause I AM happy with my setup. No logical reason I need to even be spending money on headphones, at least not right now.

And yeah, Mescalamba, I have read in the bits and pieces (whenever people weren't worshiping them) the 800 being bright, airy, whatever... NOT what I'm looking for in a headphone.

Mar 27, 2010 at 6:58 PM Post #6 of 9
I have the hd 800 with a balance recable driven by the BUDA/UDAC/DPS. No bright treble at all. I think the bright treble comes from the stock 36 gauge cable. Give a good burn in and some good OCCC cryo copper cable, you'll be in heaven.

Mar 27, 2010 at 10:03 PM Post #7 of 9
Oh boy, I have NO intentions of getting a balanced setup anytime soon nor will until I have tested one out myself. I just have a hard time believing balanced sounds any better than regular, but of course I've never listened to a balanced setup yet. I mean, why would headphone manufacturers make headphones "unbalanced" if it sounds inferior? Sounds like I need some education
biggrin.gif

Mar 27, 2010 at 10:42 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Paganini Alfredo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh boy, I have NO intentions of getting a balanced setup anytime soon nor will until I have tested one out myself. I just have a hard time believing balanced sounds any better than regular, but of course I've never listened to a balanced setup yet. I mean, why would headphone manufacturers make headphones "unbalanced" if it sounds inferior? Sounds like I need some education
biggrin.gif

Because balanced is copiously more expensive.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mescalamba /img/forum/go_quote.gif
According to review, if you find AKG 701 treble annyoing (and I find it painful), you wont enjoy HD 800 that much, cause it has bit more of treble as AKG and bit less bass as AKG..

Tough it probably can be tuned a bit by equipment..

What? I've NEVER heard somebody say the HD800s have less bass than the K701s. Many people have told me they had to EQ the bass of the K701s to get it to a merely acceptable level, and many just plain hated the bass on them, but when they heard the HD800s they thought the bass was just right.

As for the treble, most people have said while it is quite bright, it is still neutral, and it is not at all annoying or harsh (although a select few have said they're a bit harsh, but that's likely due to whatever they were driving them from).

Mar 27, 2010 at 11:33 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Paganini Alfredo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif

With regard to the HD650, to me there was definitely a difference when driving them balanced opposed to what you're using now. I've heard the HD650s with the Ultra Desktop Amp and a balanced B22. Already like the HD650's, but more so when they were run balanced. Don't know if that helps you though.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back