Senn HD800 Cable Replacement: Any Benefit from a New Single End Cable?
Nov 18, 2011 at 10:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

burkerg

New Head-Fier
Hi, guys...  I bought the HD800's this week, and I love them.  However, I keep reading that for them to truly shine, you have to replace the cable.  But most of these discussion revolve around going balanced.  I don't have the funds to upgrade my amp at the moment, so I'll continue to drive them with a Denon 4311 receiver.  I know lots of people scoff at using a receiver for headphones, but this is a pretty high-end unit, and it's what I've got to work with for now.  Anyhow...do you guys suspect that there will be any noticeable improvement in going from the stock cable to a SAA or Cardas single end cable without mating to an amp designed specifically for headpones?  Thanks for any input!

Rob

Nov 18, 2011 at 10:41 AM Post #2 of 11
Even with a good headphone amp I highly doubt you will notice any improvement in the sound if you upgrade the cable. (apart from going balanced)
Do you really think Sennheiser would use some cheapy cable on their flagship statement product? From what I've read, the stock cable is silver plated copper and does a good job.
If I were you I would save up for a good amp with the money you save by not buying a cable.

Nov 18, 2011 at 5:04 PM Post #3 of 11
x2 even though I'm currently rocking a single end DHC Clone cable, I'd say get the source and amp that you want first then worry about the cable dead LAST.  HD800 cables, compared to hd650/600/580 cables, are also a lot more expensive so it's not as easy to get them cheap even when buying used.  That $300 cable could be going to a dedicated headphonez amp or DAC.

Nov 18, 2011 at 5:07 PM Post #4 of 11
The Anaxilus mod does a great job without cable replacement.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/577530/hd800-anaxilus-mod

Nov 18, 2011 at 5:59 PM Post #5 of 11
you better off getting a different amp. since you could afford a pair of hd800's i take you you'll have no issues picking up a cheap vintage stereo amp or receiver to test out. lot those amps do really well powering them i would look for a sansui 5000x for the hd800s. pairs very nicely.

Nov 18, 2011 at 6:43 PM Post #6 of 11
Forget the cable for the time being ~ your receiver is the source of your woe.

Denon have not produced or released any information concerning the specification
of the headphone out which is very common for any maker when the output is nothing
to crow about.

If you're in doubt about this possibility, drag the HD800's down to the local audio
store and listen to them out of a high end pre-amp or preferably, headphone amp.

You'll start to hear what I mean. No $2000AUD receiver is also going to be a part
time capable headphone amp for a flagship, I'm yet to see or hear one.

Nov 18, 2011 at 8:25 PM Post #7 of 11
i couldn't find any schematics on the receiver. it uses discrete circuits for the amplifier section which is a good thing and not running off of IC's and op-amps but i have a feeling the headphone out is tied to op-amps in the pre-amp section just by looking at it and being home theater it probably can produce a only couple hundred milliwatts at 120ohms the most,but its all from guessing. i have no idea how the unit is built.

like i said earlier it probably be best to get a stereo amp or a dedicated pre-amp for the headphones. vintage stereo amps/receivers i suggest cause they run the headphone out off the speaker outputs with just couple of dropping resistors in place to give the headphone out it's given output impedance. also since they're built very well too impedance matching is not a big deal much cause the power transformer in solid state discrete amps matches the impedances for you. the power transformer does more things then just block EMI in solid state gear. lot of the older amps had anywhere from 560-680ohm output impedances at the headphone out but mainly for safety reasons.

only other suggesting since already thought about rewiring the hd800's is make it balanced with a male 4-pin XLR and then you can make a DIY female 4-pin XLR to bare wire(or can add banana connectors at the ends if want) and run the hd800's straight off the speaker outputs. high to very high impedances is no kind of stress on the power transformer and like walk in the park for it since they basically are just voltage sources.

Nov 19, 2011 at 2:22 AM Post #8 of 11
Thanks for all the advice, guys! I guess I'll begin doing my research on what amps mate well with the HD800's. One more question, if you'll oblige... Is there any reason I should not use my Denon 4311 as a pre-amp/DAC for whatever HPA I wind up with? I'd like to continue using it as a traffic controller of sorts, so I can use my blu-ray/SACD/DVD-Audio player and other sources with my headphones (in addition to my Mac mini, which is my primary source). If there's a reason to use a DAC that's engineered specifically for headphones, please let me know. Thanks again for all the help, and sorry if these are stupid questions!

Nov 19, 2011 at 3:26 AM Post #9 of 11

Quote:
Thanks for all the advice, guys! I guess I'll begin doing my research on what amps mate well with the HD800's. One more question, if you'll oblige... Is there any reason I should not use my Denon 4311 as a pre-amp/DAC for whatever HPA I wind up with? I'd like to continue using it as a traffic controller of sorts, so I can use my blu-ray/SACD/DVD-Audio player and other sources with my headphones (in addition to my Mac mini, which is my primary source). If there's a reason to use a DAC that's engineered specifically for headphones, please let me know. Thanks again for all the help, and sorry if these are stupid questions!

Yep, that should work with your Denon 4311, the DAC should be fairly decent.

Run the appropriate RCA outs to the RCA in on the headphone amp and you're all go!

Nov 19, 2011 at 4:15 AM Post #10 of 11

Quote:

I never really loved the HD800 with SS amps even when paried with top tiers one like SPL Phonitor, Beta22, the treble is too annoying and the mid seems thin. Personnally i think that the HD800 needs a tube amp to really shine, even with the Bravo V1 deluxe amp with 6922 russian tube the sound from these cans is much more musical and correct (fuller body and the treble is less elevated).

Nov 19, 2011 at 11:28 AM Post #11 of 11
by really shine,you mean color the sound of the headphone? yup that'll totally work .:p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back