Senn HD800 amp conundrum
Apr 11, 2013 at 5:47 PM Post #47 of 57
Quote:
I wouldn't leap into the Eddie Current lineup below the Zana Deux. At the Austin meet, the S7 wasn't all that different from the Decware CSP+ which is $500 less and a good bit easier on the eyes (not to mention a lot easier to roll tubes).

For what it's worth, the amp at the meet had the tong sol tubes that had less than 10 hours on them at the time.  So not only are they not considered the best tubes, they weren't even burned in.  As I've rolled in different outputs and drivers, I've changed the sound quite a bit.

Not to say that the Decware CSP+ isn't still comparable to the S7 (and probably a better value).  Just trying to point out that your experience of the amp was less than ideal.  I think the S7 scales a bit better because it has so many ways to combine different types of tubes to fine tune the sound.  

Apr 11, 2013 at 7:28 PM Post #48 of 57
Quote:

For what it's worth, the amp at the meet had the tong sol tubes that had less than 10 hours on them at the time.  So not only are they not considered the best tubes, they weren't even burned in.  As I've rolled in different outputs and drivers, I've changed the sound quite a bit.

Not to say that the Decware CSP+ isn't still comparable to the S7 (and probably a better value).  Just trying to point out that your experience of the amp was less than ideal.  I think the S7 scales a bit better because it has so many ways to combine different types of tubes to fine tune the sound.  

Ah, cool. Just going on what I heard. Would like to hear the newly rolled setup... but geez... if you don't like a particular tube, I guess that means you won't like 7 of them. ;p

Apr 11, 2013 at 7:46 PM Post #49 of 57
Quote:
I would go with the BHA-1 in your budget range. Of course, if you can stretch the budget I would HIGHLY recommend the DNA Stratus with Sophia Princess 2A3's for the HD800.

never heard one, but that DNA is sick looking, love it. Just promised myself I am done with tubes, solid-state done right for this guy.

Apr 11, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #50 of 57
Quote:
I would go with the BHA-1 in your budget range. Of course, if you can stretch the budget I would HIGHLY recommend the DNA Stratus with Sophia Princess 2A3's for the HD800.

Just curious, for those that heard the 2A3 and 300B based amps like the Stratus, is there much hum? The trouble with directly-heated triode/pentode amp is that the tubes are AC heated and usually suffer from a low hum...

Apr 11, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #51 of 57
Quote:

Ah, cool. Just going on what I heard. Would like to hear the newly rolled setup... but geez... if you don't like a particular tube, I guess that means you won't like 7 of them. ;p

You can actually mix and match, they don't all need to be the same.  I'm running 3 different types of tubes at the moment outputs, inputs, and a driver.  You can tweak things that way.  

Apr 12, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #52 of 57
WA6-SE 
wink.gif
, with the right tubes (EML 5U4G, 6FD7), the HD 800s are highly detailed, airy, and very spacious with excellent soundstage and a deep 3d image

all for around 1k + tubes

Apr 13, 2013 at 5:06 PM Post #55 of 57
Quote:
I see in your sig that you have a WA2 as well. Do you prefer the WA6-SE with the HD800?

ever so slightly at the moment, but i think with better driver's, i will prefer the WA2 or it will be a tie. both are very close in performance, just different sounding.

this review by baka1969 explains what i'm trying to say much better, it also is specific to the HD 800! 
http://www.head-fi.org/t/555749/sibling-rivalry-the-woo-wa2-vs-the-woo-wa6se-review-posted-update-6-3-2011

with the WA2, i use the TS 5598, JAN-Sylvania 7308, and RFT EZ80 tubes, the sound is VERY Good with HD 800s, but theres still a bit of detail and dynamics missing from the WA2 that the WA6-SE has, however, the tonality, warmth, and smoothness is just what i'm looking for.

with the WA6-SE, i either use 596 and 6GL7 or EML5U4G and 6FD7. both are more detailed and open sounding vs. the WA2, but they're just a tad to bright at times, just by a little. 

gonna try 6SN7 on WA6-SE soon (gotta find adapter), and maybe some better drivers on the WA2 (siemens, amperex, or mullard NOS tubes). im sure they'll just keep getting better! 

Apr 13, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #56 of 57
May 24, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #57 of 57
Quote:
Well speaker's aren't the most natural either, and definitely not w/ a turntable.

Have you heard binaural recordings?  Those are perhaps the most out of head artificial experience I have ever encountered, almost scary how real they sound.

Check out the doorknock at the bottom of this test site

http://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php

Hello?! That actually scared the ba-geezus out of me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back