senn hd650 vs AKG K701
Oct 18, 2007 at 12:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

scottymac

Head-Fier
I'm considering investing in a high end pair of headphones. is the hd650 better than the akg k701? i assume it is because of the additional ~$150, but i'm not positive. if so, is it worth spending an extra $150 for them?i would be using these mainly for my computer, running out of a SB audigy2 zs sound card. i don't have an amp at the time, i realize i probably need to get one though. especially since i tried out a pair of senn hd600s on my pc last week and i barely noticed the difference between those and my hd555s.

Oct 18, 2007 at 12:53 AM Post #2 of 28
HD650 and K701 prices are actually pretty similar if you buy used. With just a sound card and no amp, I would suggest the HD650, its somewhat easier to drive than the K701.

Oct 18, 2007 at 1:04 AM Post #3 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by scottymac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm considering investing in a high end pair of headphones. is the hd650 better than the akg k701? i assume it is because of the additional ~$150, but i'm not positive. if so, is it worth spending an extra $150 for them?i would be using these mainly for my computer, running out of a SB audigy2 zs sound card. i don't have an amp at the time, i realize i probably need to get one though. especially since i tried out a pair of senn hd600s on my pc last week and i barely noticed the difference between those and my hd555s.

The HD650 is not "better" than the K701, merely different. "Better" is subjective and a futile concept when it comes to headphones as good as either.

Neither headphone would be ideal in your situation. They're too high-end and both almost demand an external amp - and forget amping from your sound card, it's too low-end to act as a source for them. If you're not prepared to sink extra money into an amp and DAC (or a combo DAC/amp) then a cheaper, low-impedance headphone would be the way to go instead, and there are plenty of those around from brands like Audio-Technica and Grado. Sennheiser, Beyerdynamic, and Sony also make a variety of low-impedance headphones that work well with computers. Keep reading around and you'll find 'em.

Oct 18, 2007 at 1:35 AM Post #4 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HD650 is not "better" than the K701, merely different. "Better" is subjective and a futile concept when it comes to headphones as good as either.

Neither headphone would be ideal in your situation. They're too high-end and both almost demand an external amp - and forget amping from your sound card, it's too low-end to act as a source for them. If you're not prepared to sink extra money into an amp and DAC (or a combo DAC/amp) then a cheaper, low-impedance headphone would be the way to go instead, and there are plenty of those around from brands like Audio-Technica and Grado. Sennheiser, Beyerdynamic, and Sony also make a variety of low-impedance headphones that work well with computers. Keep reading around and you'll find 'em.

X2. There are numerous threads (just do a search) that do in-depth comparisons of the 650s and 701s, and you'll find a range of opinions, including heated debates, that essentially come down to taste. Just know that if you decide to go the route of choosing either one, you'll need to upgrade your gear to really hear how they were meant to sound. Also, if you decide to go this route, be a careful of some of the budget recommendations I've seen sprouting all over the amp forum lately for these very specific headphones. There's a lot of well-intentioned bad advice. Read the profiles of the people who are advising you, and ask a lot of questions. I also agree with Asr that there are very good headphones available that will make you ver happy with what you have now. It just depends on what you want to do. No matter what you end up choosing, enjoy!

EDIT:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceroid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HD650 and K701 prices are actually pretty similar if you buy used. With just a sound card and no amp, I would suggest the HD650, its somewhat easier to drive than the K701.

No. Do not get the 650s unless you plan on a dac and amp, and a pretty good amp at that.

Oct 18, 2007 at 2:44 AM Post #5 of 28
as far as new prices are concerned k701 is quite low at 250 now with the hd650 a bit more at 330. Personally I would never buy used unless it was to save money, so they really shouldn't be going for the same amount used (650s go for 250-260) considering the new prices that are obtainable now.

Unfortunately I am somewhat of a basshead so I went used with the HD650. If going with the k701, buy new unless you don't care to burn them in yourself.

On the whole topic of requires an amp, I'd rather buy something that can improve

Oct 18, 2007 at 3:08 AM Post #7 of 28
no..i mean new..i've seen a few FS threads with them going around 220-240, which for me is too close to what I can get it new for..i guess i should correct to say too lazy to burn them in yourself lol

Oct 18, 2007 at 3:31 AM Post #8 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I always consider my own opinions on subjective audio topics to be correct and unquestionable, because my opinions are the only ones that affect how I hear and enjoy the music.
very_evil_smiley.gif

I say the HD650 is better than the K701.
wink.gif

And one day I will get you to actually finally say one headphone is better or worse than another. Mark my words!

Oct 18, 2007 at 8:38 AM Post #11 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I always consider my own opinions on subjective audio topics to be correct and unquestionable, because my opinions are the only ones that affect how I hear and enjoy the music.
very_evil_smiley.gif

I say the HD650 is better than the K701.
wink.gif

And one day I will get you to actually finally say one headphone is better or worse than another. Mark my words!

Oh I can say one headphone is better than another given certain headphones. The HD650 is sonically better than the PX200. Happy?
tongue.gif

Oct 18, 2007 at 8:56 AM Post #12 of 28
they are both very similar, but the k701 is quite a bit more lively and is actually easier to drive in contrast to what iceroid posted. it doesn't really have that "veiled" sound the HD650's have. both need an amp really, but the HD650's sound quite a bit worse than the k701 unamped from my experience.

Oct 18, 2007 at 3:05 PM Post #14 of 28
I have both the 580 (which I've had for some time) and the K701. To my ears there really isn't any comparison, the K701 is significantly the better headphone. The K701 is more detailed and more accurate with amazing sound stage.

On the other hand, with some recordings, the K701 imparts too much sound stage, and if the sound quality of the recording is bad, it sounds awful through the K701. Sometimes more bass and a little less detail, a little less sound stage sound better so I don't use the K701s.

Both the K701 and HD580 require an amp, and a pretty good one, to sound good. I have tried both headphones out of a cheap portable amp, the Headroom Total Airhead, and they sound awful beyond awful. (On the other hand, the Total Airhead makes some of my other headphones sound much better than they do unamped).

If I had to choose between the K701 and HD580 (don't know about the HD650 I've never heard it), I would choose the K701 hands down with no hesitation. However, I'd have at least one other set of cheaper headphones (Koss Porta Pro probably) for portable use and when the K701s sounded bad.

However, an amp is essential. As other threads have discussed it doesn't have to be a high end headphone amp. The K701s will sound gorgeous out of a lot of older receivers that can be bought for cheap. They just need some oomph behind them.

If you insist on going unamped then you need completely different headphones than either the k701 or KD580. A cheap USB Turtle Beach DAC will sound dramatically better than the Audigy sound card. You would get far better sound quality out of getting a Turtle Beach USB ($30) DAC, connecting that to a cheap portable amp like a total Airhead or a cmoy ($40-100) and a pair of $80 headphones like the Grado SR80 or Sony 7506. That combination will give you 80-90% of the sound quality you would get out of K701s with a great amp and cost you less than the cost of a set of K701s. K701s straight out of your audigy with you amp will sound pretty awful and a lot of cheap headphones will sound better because the K701s need a good amp.

Oct 18, 2007 at 4:49 PM Post #15 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by techniqu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
they are both very similar, but the k701 is quite a bit more lively and is actually easier to drive in contrast to what iceroid posted. it doesn't really have that "veiled" sound the HD650's have. both need an amp really, but the HD650's sound quite a bit worse than the k701 unamped from my experience.

The "veiled" sound is the direct result of pairing the 650s with an amp and source that don't do it justice. I have heard the veil on some of my own, very decent gear. When matched properly, it disappears. I have head-fi friends that simply do not like the Sennheiser sound, but hear zero veil, and make no claims of veil, when listening on my home rig, or others that give the Senns what they need.

The 701s will sound thin, or lacking bass when paired with an amp and source that don't do it justice. A recable, as with the 650s, also helps. The 701s do need more power than some people seem to think they need if they are to be heard as they are capable of sounding.

I have been lucky enough to hear the 650s and 701s stock, recabled, balanced, and single-ended and with more than a few sources and amps, from budget to more than I could ever afford. You don't need to break the bank to get decent sound, but c'mon people.

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottymac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$180 for a pair of hd650s is a pretty damn good deal

It's a pretty amazing deal if new. I'm almost suspcious.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katysax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
However, an amp is essential. As other threads have discussed it doesn't have to be a high end headphone amp. The K701s will sound gorgeous out of a lot of older receivers that can be bought for cheap. They just need some oomph behind them.

No, neither require a high-end headphone amp, but most portable (all that I've heard so far) and budget solutions, even some mid-priced ones, will not give you the sound that people rave about when talking about these headphones. There is a big difference between getting enough volume and quality sound. Source, too, makes a significant difference with these headphones. Others are more forgiving.

Again, if you are planning on building a system around them down the line, get either, and have something to look forward to, but if you want really good sounding headphones now, make another choice. There are plenty out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back