Senn HD650 one new driver...problems????
Mar 31, 2010 at 10:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Gags72

New Head-Fier
Hi all
I recently bought a pair of Senn HD650.

After a little while, maybe 60 hours I noticed one of the drivers had lost most of its bass.

I took it to the local service center and they replaced a driver or "POD" as they call it.

THey then said on the paperwork that it had been replaced and tested as ok.

All in all great service.

My question is this.

After some burn would one driver not sound different to the other considering different amounts of burn in?

I am thinking it is not a huge issue and it will pass with time if it exists but I would like your opinions.

Many thanks

Mar 31, 2010 at 1:49 PM Post #3 of 10
I had a driver in my hd650 replaced. I can not tell the difference between the broken in driver and the new one. It could be that you have one older dark screen driver and one newer silver screen driver. Check to see that both drivers look the same. They also could have used a hd600 driver by mistake. Which has less bass than an hd650.

Mar 31, 2010 at 1:53 PM Post #4 of 10
They could also be poorly matched, meaning that the volume of one driver is higher than the other. That is why people generally recommend that you buy two matched drivers at the same time.

Mar 31, 2010 at 3:09 PM Post #5 of 10
i have had a few old and new higher end senns side by side. they dont change much, if at all, with burn in. if they sound the same to you, they probably are

Mar 31, 2010 at 4:39 PM Post #6 of 10
I say if you can't hear the difference now, then don't worry about it and just be happy that your headphones are working again.
smily_headphones1.gif

If you can hear the difference, send em back!

Mar 31, 2010 at 5:03 PM Post #7 of 10
I also sent my HD650 some time ago to be repaired since the right driver was distorting. anyway,listen to this... the buzzing sound was very weak,and you could hear it only when listen carefully. so when i first brought it to the store i got it from,the sales man checked it out and couldn't hear anything,but he sent it anyway for the labratory to be repaired.

since I broke my arm some time ago,I asked the store today if they can send it to me because I am not capabale of get it myself...the sales man said he will check and call me back. an hour ago,he called and told me that usually the stores' policy is to let the customer get the product himself just to be sure that the problem is indeed fixed,so he told me he checked it again for himself so they can send it to me. guess what..? the problem wasn't fixed and the buzzing sound was still there.
why did i tell you all this? because I am bored to death!
normal_smile .gif

and also because i hope that they will be un capabale to fix the driver and just replace me a new HD650.
please...please...please!

Apr 1, 2010 at 8:20 AM Post #8 of 10
I have no amp just now as I have sold my Little Dot and am waiting for a Sonett from DNA.
I am therefore using it straight from the IMAC, not the best source of course but the is just something bugging me I can't put my finger on.
My wife has good ears and she says it is fine...I dont know though.
I will wait until my amp comes and try it then.

Apr 1, 2010 at 9:16 AM Post #9 of 10
Taking it to the "local service center" was a big mistake, you'd be better off buying some new drivers and DIY, and who knows, taking it apart yourself probably would've solve the problem, loose connector maybe... better than some schmuck feeding you rubbish and taking your money, live and learn from this.

Apr 1, 2010 at 10:35 AM Post #10 of 10
The company I took them to is the Australian Distributor for Sennheiser.
I would hope that they were not quite as bad as you suggest but I have no proof that they are not.
I am going to stick with it and see how I go.
The 650 were only 3 or so weeks old so the work was for free.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back