Senn HD600 questions...
Apr 2, 2003 at 8:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

oas

Head-Fier
After reading the boards for less then a week Ive decided I want these. But this board doesnt seem like my age group so I fear that different music is being listened too. I love older rock like the beatles, but I am a metalhead at heart. I am also a sucker for newer bands such as Linkin Park and Evanesence. Are these the headphones for me? SOAD is also a band that I think will sum up my listening habits. What Im getting at is, are these still good headphones for me? Even thought the music I listen too likes it, im not the biggest bass head in the world.

My current gear is a Sony MZ707 MD player, Sony DEJ1000 and a pair of D66 eggos, and Koss portapros.

I know I dont have the best gear around but hey I like it. Here is my next question, Will the DEJ1000 be a good player to use with HD600's? I know Id need an amp with it, so How does a nice meta42 sound? And if it wont sound that good whats a good player? I was maybe looking at a Sony D25?

I know Im giving a raher portable rig, but this is for home use, and Id like to keep it 'portable'.

So after all of that, how does this sound?

Sony DEJ1000 >> Meta42 >> HD600

or if I have to...

Sony DEJ1000 >> Meta42 >> HD600

Id also like to keep this 'rather' cheap, like not get into anything above $400 for phones and $200 for amp. The D25 can be found for about $40 on ebay right?

I know its all jumbled up, but thanks for the help.

EDIT: Is it really necessary to buy new cables for the HD600 right off the bat, I mean, how much can cables help it?

EDIT2: All of this will most likely be bought over the summer/fall when I get a job. This will also have to last me a long time as it will be going with me to college.
smily_headphones1.gif
Will it last if it is taken care of?

EDIT3: There is NO place around me to try out these phones, or any like them, Is it safe to order them off the net without trying? Whats a good place to get them?

Apr 2, 2003 at 9:01 PM Post #2 of 10
You can order them From Germany at 195posting inside europe thats ~210-215 total, not mutch more over sea.

Apr 3, 2003 at 12:29 AM Post #4 of 10
First off, I would like to say that I use HD-600s with an airhead and portable line-out and they work JUST FINE. In fact, the improvement in sound offered by the 600s with a portable is definitely noticeable over other headphones even in the $150 category!

Be forewarned that 600s are not suited for adverse weather conditions (extreme cold, snow, light or heavy rain, thick fog, etc) and can easily be scratched! Buy a durable 'phone bag for them from headphone.com (shameless plug heh heh) to keep the driver covers from being scratched.

HD600s are just fine but under the following circumstances:

1. You want rich, warm, smooth, natural sound.

2. You are a very patient person (they burn in over 250 hours).

3. BIG upgrades are in your future, even if it's five or ten years from now - I'm talking a $1,000+ amp and $2,000+ source. The HD600s really truly shine on really insane equipment. You'll be blown away by them out of the box, but even more so after burn in, and the awe will be equally as great when you upgrade !

My conclusion is that HD600s are just fine for you; but if #3 is not true, you should consider the HD580s instead. LITERALLY IDENTICAL SOUND for anyone with a budget setup, the headphones are basically the same except different driver coverings.

Good luck on a purchase! Other headphones to consider for your purposes are the SR-225s (world's best headphone for a brilliant, intense rock sound, but very open), AKG-K501 (a light, brilliant, airy, non fatiguing sound but not as bass heavy as other cans), DT250-80s (I own these and they are great cans for rock, plus they are closed, but sound a bit hollow and somewhat honky compared to open cans, even for a portable).

Cheers,
Geek

Apr 3, 2003 at 12:53 AM Post #6 of 10
HD600s are great for home use.

Cheers,
Geek

Apr 3, 2003 at 1:39 AM Post #9 of 10
the hd600s are wayyy too laid back for something that's quick and needs impact like modern rock (linkin park was kinda boring on my 600/clou red combo). Try something with more energy to it. They leak alot and if you plan on taking it to college, don't think your roommate will appreciate it much when hes sleeping. Like most hifi headphones, as long as you don't toss em around or dance in them or something like that it can last for a pretty loong time. Buying online is safe as long as the dealer has a steady and good reputation. First place you should definitely check out is headphone.com for general selections, then maybe meier-audio for some european (senn, beyer, philips) brands, and then probably audiocubes for japanese brands like audio technica and sony. I suggest taking a look at audio technica, though grado would probably fit your listening choice muuch better, but since durability is in question it might not be the best idea...not to mention that whole comfort thing that gets asked over and over and over again. Of course many ppl here will also since your budget it near $400..."when in doubt, buy a cd3000"
wink.gif

Apr 3, 2003 at 2:14 AM Post #10 of 10
oas,

If you still are interested in the HD-600s, and your stuck around the $600 budget I would contact Jan at Meier Audio, and see what he can do for you with an HA-2, HD-600 combo. Or, contact Antness, for a Gilmore Dynamic. Get the best equipment you can now, and upgrade the source later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back