Senn HD600 (or 580, 590) for ROCK music ?
May 21, 2002 at 10:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Mr.T

New Head-Fier
I have been hearing the Senn brand of headphones are not very good for rock or metal music (classical is where they shine) is this true ? I was thinking of getting the HD600 exclusively for rock music only... Should I just as well get a $100US pair of sony or grado headphones rather than the $300US Senns if I'm just listening to rock or is the senn brand good for all types of music ?

Thanks

May 21, 2002 at 11:09 PM Post #2 of 15
Mr.T
HI:
I use the senn. 580s for all my music. I think the senn. 600 are better with real good equitment but the 580s are 90-95 percent of the sound of the senn.600. If you like rock music try pink floyd on the 580s and then you will understand how good rock music can sound. There are many other great choices of headphones to choose from and allmost all of them are good at all music.

May 21, 2002 at 11:44 PM Post #4 of 15
Mr.T
Sorry for not saying it clearly. All music! But MR.T if you are young and would like a great cheep can that is very good for rock and in your face with good bass the grado sr80s at 95.00 are hard to beat. The sennheiser 580s are a little laid back for an old guy like me. The grado 80s realy don't need an amp either but of course sound better with one. Do a search top right of screen and put in grado 80s and see what other members say about them. Good luck.

May 22, 2002 at 1:05 AM Post #7 of 15
The 600s are AWESOME!! I listen to The Who, Rush, etc. etc... They can out-rock the best of them!

May 22, 2002 at 3:28 AM Post #8 of 15
If you like the Sennheiser sound, and I do, the HD600 work great with all levels of Rock music, as well as Jazz, Classical, New Age or whatever. However, IMO the HD600 don't really "rock" until attached to a good headphone amp. I liked them okay from a good source, a little better with the Total Airhead, but I fell in love when I attached them to the Maxed Out Home.

May 22, 2002 at 5:57 PM Post #9 of 15
I have the HD600s as well as the AKG 401s and I prefer the Senns for all types of music. The 401s have a bit heavier bass.

One thing I noted with them is that with a decent source and an amp you are really able to hear how bad many of the recordings are. Nothing is hidden and you start to become more and more discerning when you listen. If you have ever read CD reviews and wondered what they are talking about get a pair of 600s and a decent amp and it will be clearer.

For example my wife recently bought a Cheryl Crow CD and was listening to it through the 9V Total Airhead and the 600s. She listened for a bit then removed the headphones and asked me to listen and see if I heard her smacking her lips before the song. Not that this is bad it is just one of the things that goes unnoticed with the cheap giveaway headphones so many people use.

May 23, 2002 at 7:34 AM Post #10 of 15
I use my Hd600 for all type of music and am not much of a Grado fan. But I must admit, the SR325 does sound much better with rock than my HD600. The 600 just doesn't get me as involved when listening to rock when compared to Sr325. I've owned a pair of SR80, 125, 325 and RS2. My advice is to go straight for the 325. Its more detailed than it's lower brethren. The RS2, I just didn't like the extended highs. They're a bit offensive to my delicate ears.
redface.gif

May 23, 2002 at 10:44 AM Post #11 of 15
I haven't heard the any of the Senns but IMHO Grado 325s are just amazing with rock music.
If you don't own an amp and have no plans to get one soon I would recommend auditioning some grados.
cheers
RawHit
smily_headphones1.gif

May 23, 2002 at 1:22 PM Post #12 of 15
I have experience with SR-80 and HD-600, and I'd say that SR-80 are somewhat better on rock, if you prefer agressive sound. However HD-600 sound better with, where agressive sound quickly leads to fatigue. Compared to any "casual" headphones, these both have a big "wow" factor on any kind of music. I couldn't hear any difference beetween X-Canv2 amp and causal integrated amp headphone jack when using HD-600, so don't believe all of that "amp is a must with hd-600" talk.

May 23, 2002 at 7:18 PM Post #14 of 15
the grado sr-325 was my first "high-end" headphone and they got me totally hooked. some days i feel like they are still my favorite. they pound out the rock without forgiveness and sound fine coming from any receiver or portable cd player i've tried. of course, the sugden headmaster makes them sound better.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 23, 2002 at 8:48 PM Post #15 of 15
Since getting my HD-600s and the Equinox cable, they have displaced my SR-325s as headphone of choice for all music. I mostly listen to rock. I try out my once beloved 325s every now and again, but I even prefer the 600s for stuff like System of a Down. Also, after an hour with the 325s I'm usually glad to take them off.

My amp probably has a lot to do with my preference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back